U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 07:37 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,224,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
HB2HSV everything looks great! We're still early in the season where I am. It has finally stopped raining, so I sprinkled some fertilizer around my onion and garlic bed and on the early vegetables.

Some of the kale and lettuce I planted late last year resprouted! Or sprouted. I'm not sure what happened. I tried to do Fall Gardening for the first time, but I planted the seeds too late. Everything froze to death...or so I thought. There are several little kale and lettuces that have popped up.

All of the plants are an inch or less tall. Since it is too cool to plant out my new annual seeds, I put cilantro seeds in one of the pots, and bok choi in the other one. I'm looking forward to eating some mango salsa with fresh cilantro. Speaking of salsa, the poor little tomato plants I started indoors are all dead. I put them out to get some sun and they fried.
Oh NO!! Sorry to hear about your tomatoes! Poor little guys! We did have a couple of sumer squash fatalities. I planted them out "early", and had a shade cloth over them...well, the wind came up, uncovered a couple of them and yes....they were just too tender. No worries, there were plenty more in the cold frame, hardening off properly. What's a gardening season with a couple of sacrificial lambs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 09:39 AM

77,800 posts, read 98,026,237 times
Got back from 2 week vacation and with the help of mother nature and our daughter watering everything for us, the garden is growing like crazy, weeds and all. We have lots of tomato blossoms, squash, cukes and beans are up and some of the plants I thought we had totally lost in the late freeze actually survived. Now, to have the rain stop long enough to get the weeds under control.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:39 PM

18,285 posts, read 22,312,300 times
Glad things are salvageable after the rains quit we are getting daily down pours up here too. My container gardening is water logged big time right now veggies & flowers. 2 hanging flower baskets are so water logged they about pulled the hook out of the ground leaning over so far.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:58 PM

25,716 posts, read 25,635,074 times
Spring is very late around here this year. The lilacs are barely open and the leaves are just coming on the trees.

Today I put a parsley plant in a window box (just a window box that looks out over the backyard) and I have last year's red geraniums to add to it. I think I'll put my rosemary plant in there too. Maybe some more foliage plants that will hang too, but I got this idea from a garden meeting--throw your herbs in with your flower box flowers.

It's probably nothing new but I hadn't thought of it. It's a space saver for those of us who need it.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:45 AM

Holy cow.....worked overtime yesterday and wouldn't you know it, I didn't have the windows open on the greenhouse and it was a beautiful, hot day. Of course, concentration was difficult to attain, what with thinking about my precious babies, possibly cooking....to death!!!! Ugh. LOL

When I got home and opened the doors and windows, it was 102 deg. The tomatoes and cucumbers didn't mind it a bit..only time will tell whether the Brassicas were harmed by it. Some of the newly transplanted flower baskets were as limp as cooked noodles. Everyone seemed to perk right up though, once the GH was opened up, fans turned on and watered, though. Crossing fingers!

Had a mini, family meeting last night. "Let's ALL do our part, to ensure that our FOOD survives...shall we?"

Old 05-15-2014, 11:10 AM

18,285 posts, read 22,312,300 times
Hate to hear that beachmel but hopefully you can nurse them back to health. Now me we are still getting lots of rain my containers are flooded and kohlrabi has leaves turning yellow from to much water. We have 3 more days of rain somebody here said today that come July we'll be begging for rain. I won't I can get water out of my faucets any time to water my plants & flowers.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:44 AM

Sorry to hear about the rain, Jaxson! Yes, eariier on, we had a bit of waterlogging going on too. It was monsoon week here just a while back. LOL For us, it's on its way again, but that sun was sure nice while it lasted. Everything in the GH seems to have come back nicely and for that I'm exceedingly grateful. Only time will tell if it was enough heat to cause the brassicas that I was holding back on, to seed early. If so, at least I got 2/3 of it in the garden already. The ones in the greenhouse were "replacements", in case something happened to those outdoors.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:31 PM

6,472 posts, read 15,661,013 times
Well we got into the eighties a couple of days and my bok choi has bolted. I'll be eating a lot of it. The lettuce is getting big. I'm adding leaf lettuce to the list of my fave veggies to grow. It doesn't seem to bolt easily and it tastes DELICIOUS. The swiss chard look beautiful as do the beets and the kohlrabi.

Swiss chard is another favorite veggie. It practically grows itself. I'm hoping the beets are just as easy. One of the self-sowing cherry tomatoes is up in one of my flower beds. Yay sooo I'll at least get some tomatoes.

The lemon balm in my garden has been there only one year, but it has made millions and millions of little babies. I'm going to chuck it. I only drink the tea occasionally and it is OK. Now I'll have to wait until those babies are big enough to pull out. UGH I knew it was invasive...but I thought it ran like mint. I can't deal with seedlings. It is INSANE.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:12 PM

6,751 posts, read 7,838,768 times
Good to know; I thought about picking up some lemon balm. If I end up trying it, it will be in a pot.

My mint came back from last year, so I'm happy about that. Mint tea! We moved the inappropriately arranged marigolds my brother in law put in for Mother's Day, and planted some herbs. So, in the front, we have thyme, lemon thyme, lemon basil, stevia, mint, and sage. In the back garden, the tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, and watermelon are planted. I have salad cucumber, pickling cucumber, and zucchini seeds in starter pots while we figure out where we want to place them. Next thing will be lettuce, grown in pots to keep them away from the bunnies. I will pick up some seeds this weekend, I think.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:38 PM

6,472 posts, read 15,661,013 times
Yes EM...btw I love your screen name! Today is my weeding day...so I'll have to go back outside. In the veggie beds that are hmm up to 10 feet away from the lemon balm...I found seedlings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden