U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 06:40 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,312,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
This my first year gardening and my success has been meh. I had started some tomatoes and eggplants indoors and then they died pretty much right when I transplanted them. I know where I went wrong (I believe it was the seed starter I used; I may just use straight up potting soil next year).

I planted lettuce, broccoli and strawberries seeds. The lettuce or broccoli (my labels blew away in a storm) was starting to peek through a week ago. Will see if they come to fruition.

I bought spinach and jalapeno at a nursery and they are growing really nice.

First year is always an experiment from what I hear.

As for my flowers, this past November, I planted some tulip bulbs. Tulips are my absolute favorite, so I knew I wanted to plant them when I pretty much got in the house. I basically dug up a couple of areas, put the bulbs in and put the soil and some more top soil on it. When they bloomed, I was so excited. I really didn't do that much and it was great! Wish all my gardening experiences were that easy.

Some photos of my tulips. I miss them already. I plan to really expand my bed for next year:
Beautiful!!!! Thank you for sharing! As for your negatives this year...YES! That's the spirit! It IS a learning experience, okellies! Honestly, every time you try to grow something you haven't grown before, it becomes another learning experience. Gardening is just that way, even for those who've been gardening our entire lives!

There was never a time in my life when I was not tending gardens. If you move to a new area, you have to learn to grow in that location. When you decide to grow new varieties of plants...you have to learn how. You don't even have to drive far, where I'm located, to experience drastically different growing conditions.

Walk 5 blocks to the east and you find a quiet, protected bay, that has 2 rivers entering in it. That quiet, protected bay stretches down to a harbor and meets the Pacific Ocean. So....to the west of us...4-5 blocks is the open Pacific Ocean. Here...you walk 1 BLOCK to the east and you're talking different weather!! If you drive 5 miles NE from here, your soil is pure clay. Here?...pure, fine beach sand.

Welcome to the wonderful world of learning new stuff! It's a fantastic world. BTW...it's always best to start your babies out in bagged potting soil. Even better, I've found, is to use a good, fortified potting soil, mixed with extra perlite. I cover the soil with vermiculite, as it doesn't form a crust and is STERILE. Those little buggers are so susceptible to viral, fungal and bacterial infection. They are, after all.... your tender, new babies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 01:29 PM

715 posts, read 1,179,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Welcome to the thread Okellies! The tulips are pretty. I like the way you edged the bed, too.

Well I'm on my 4th year of veggie gardening...I think. Some of my seedlings got killed too. The weather is chilly again for some reason, but the small warm-season veggies seem to be ok.
Thanks! I really wanted to extend the tulips all the way down, but I didn't have enough of bulbs. I may possibly expand it out a little more for next year, since we learned the sprinkler behind the tulips in the 4th picture is a mister. That'll be a lot of digging for me though lol!

I think my eggplant is recovering though. My tomatoes are kaput for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Beautiful!!!! Thank you for sharing! As for your negatives this year...YES! That's the spirit! It IS a learning experience, okellies! Honestly, every time you try to grow something you haven't grown before, it becomes another learning experience. Gardening is just that way, even for those who've been gardening our entire lives!

There was never a time in my life when I was not tending gardens. If you move to a new area, you have to learn to grow in that location. When you decide to grow new varieties of plants...you have to learn how. You don't even have to drive far, where I'm located, to experience drastically different growing conditions.

Walk 5 blocks to the east and you find a quiet, protected bay, that has 2 rivers entering in it. That quiet, protected bay stretches down to a harbor and meets the Pacific Ocean. So....to the west of us...4-5 blocks is the open Pacific Ocean. Here...you walk 1 BLOCK to the east and you're talking different weather!! If you drive 5 miles NE from here, your soil is pure clay. Here?...pure, fine beach sand.

Welcome to the wonderful world of learning new stuff! It's a fantastic world. BTW...it's always best to start your babies out in bagged potting soil. Even better, I've found, is to use a good, fortified potting soil, mixed with extra perlite. I cover the soil with vermiculite, as it doesn't form a crust and is STERILE. Those little buggers are so susceptible to viral, fungal and bacterial infection. They are, after all.... your tender, new babies.
I have my FMIL to thank for telling me that it is a learning experience, to take it slow, and not do too much in the beginning. I probably would be a little sad if she didn't give me a pep talk.

I live in a part of my area that is one of the highest parts, almost 5 times highers than the rest of the area, so snow stayed on the ground longer during the winter months and I feared for some of the plants inherited to us from the previous owners. But, everything held up very nicely.

Thank you for the tip for next time! I definitely feel like next year will yield me better results. I hope lol.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
Thanks! I really wanted to extend the tulips all the way down, but I didn't have enough of bulbs. I may possibly expand it out a little more for next year, since we learned the sprinkler behind the tulips in the 4th picture is a mister. That'll be a lot of digging for me though lol!

I think my eggplant is recovering though. My tomatoes are kaput for sure.

I have my FMIL to thank for telling me that it is a learning experience, to take it slow, and not do too much in the beginning. I probably would be a little sad if she didn't give me a pep talk.

I live in a part of my area that is one of the highest parts, almost 5 times highers than the rest of the area, so snow stayed on the ground longer during the winter months and I feared for some of the plants inherited to us from the previous owners. But, everything held up very nicely.

Thank you for the tip for next time! I definitely feel like next year will yield me better results. I hope lol.
I'm sure that next year will be better. Sometimes, in gardening, as well as other things, ...learning from "mistakes/failures" is the absolute best way to learn something.

Also...**pat on your back**, you're TRYING and that is just incredible! You are a champion for saying, "I can DO this! I'm GOING to do this!!!" It's so exciting, seeing others determined to grow their own food!

Old 06-01-2014, 09:23 PM

8,742 posts, read 11,919,427 times
I remember my first year gardening....

I bought a pack of tomato seeds, the seedling tray, etc., followed the instructions to the letter. A couple of weeks latter I had little tomatoe seedling growing. I was very excited in sharing this with my gardening friend. She smiled and ask how will I plant my tomatoes? I replied probably in containers and asked her how big of container I will need for each plant? She replied that tomatoes do get big so figures on a 10 -15 gallon containers for each plant.

After an awkward moment of silence, I quietly said but I have 72 seedlings.... She bursted out laughing and asked who told you to plant ALL the seeds? I said but the instruction did NOT say plant ONLY a few seeds....

So you see, we ALL make mistakes but later it only becomes fond memories,

Old 06-01-2014, 09:30 PM

18,285 posts, read 22,446,885 times
okellies we all have crops that fail at some point a time or two but we learn & know what to do better if he arises again. You did the hardest part ........ get started so congrats to ya.

HB2HSV that was such a wonderful learning curve lesson you shared thank you and for the laugh I let out only quietly of course.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I remember my first year gardening....

I bought a pack of tomato seeds, the seedling tray, etc., followed the instructions to the letter. A couple of weeks latter I had little tomatoe seedling growing. I was very excited in sharing this with my gardening friend. She smiled and ask how will I plant my tomatoes? I replied probably in containers and asked her how big of container I will need for each plant? She replied that tomatoes do get big so figures on a 10 -15 gallon containers for each plant.

After an awkward moment of silence, I quietly said but I have 72 seedlings.... She bursted out laughing and asked who told you to plant ALL the seeds? I said but the instruction did NOT say plant ONLY a few seeds....

So you see, we ALL make mistakes but later it only becomes fond memories,
Hey, hey HEY now! I am STILL prone to planting an entire packet of seeds, on occasion. Generally, it's only when I'm not paying attention. When I was landscaping, it wasn't a big deal at all. When landscaping, there wasn't a single seedling of ANYthing, that didn't end up being utilized, either in my yard or someone else's. Unfortunately....going from BIG to "personal" use, can be a challenge.

So...in all honesty, I never meant to end up with quite so many tomato plants....or for cryin out loud....to end up with so many pumpkins!! LOL I didn't MEAN to plant so many Delicata squash seeds. I was busy....tired, rushed and trying to get them done before bed. LOL Yep....so, I have given away quite a lot of seedlings. Still....I have 14 pumpkins left in gallon containers. I still have 42 Delicata squash...haha...setting buds. Looks like if they make, I'm gonna be giving away a lot of squash!

Old 06-02-2014, 02:45 PM

715 posts, read 1,179,475 times
Good to hear all the first time gardening stories. LOL I planted some packets in containers...but none have come to fruition. Either 2 seeds of my lettuce or broccoli MAY make it (I lost the label in a storm). Whoopsy, didn't learn that I wasn't suppose to do that until AFTER I told the FMIL

Old 06-03-2014, 09:02 AM

8,742 posts, read 11,919,427 times
Quote:
Hey, hey HEY now! I am STILL prone to planting an entire packet of seeds, on occasion. Generally, it's only when I'm not paying attention. When I was landscaping, it wasn't a big deal at all. When landscaping, there wasn't a single seedling of ANYthing, that didn't end up being utilized, either in my yard or someone else's. Unfortunately....going from BIG to "personal" use, can be a challenge.

So...in all honesty, I never meant to end up with quite so many tomato plants....or for cryin out loud....to end up with so many pumpkins!! LOL I didn't MEAN to plant so many Delicata squash seeds. I was busy....tired, rushed and trying to get them done before bed. LOL Yep....so, I have given away quite a lot of seedlings. Still....I have 14 pumpkins left in gallon containers. I still have 42 Delicata squash...haha...setting buds. Looks like if they make, I'm gonna be giving away a lot of squash!
Just a wild guess here, type A personality, Mel?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
okellies we all have crops that fail at some point a time or two but we learn & know what to do better if he arises again. You did the hardest part ........ get started so congrats to ya.

HB2HSV that was such a wonderful learning curve lesson you shared thank you and for the laugh I let out only quietly of course.

LOL.....not lying, chuckled a bit myself Jaxson. The funny part of it is, unless we had someone holding our hands and stopping us from making mistakes, we all made many of them. It is a learning experience. It is also one of those things that DOES change. Different soils are available, different containers, watering setups, pesticides, herbicides, viruses, bacteria, insects, etc. Each time you move, you'll likely have to learn about the new soil, new bugs in that location, new weather issues...the learning experience never ends. Heck, they've even got new plant varieties that weren't around when I was younger!

I think that's one of the things I love about gardening. It never gets boring! It's always changing and there IS always something new/more to learn.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:52 AM

77,786 posts, read 99,099,909 times
Quote:

or, what happened to me this year: the frost killed my first set of tomatoes so I planted another set. Well, this would be fine, except the first ones were not completely dead and decided to grow as well. Add to that a bunch of volunteers from last year are springing up everywhere. I am trying now to cage some, tie them up, what ever, they are going in all directions. Along with the return of the original ones, we have had light rain almost daily for the past 2 weeks, so everything is growing like crazy including the weeds. At least I can say one thing, if the tomatoes I have continue to ripen and if 1/2 the blooms I have produce, I will be opening up a tomato store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden