Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 04:16 PM

515 posts, read 780,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmenn2014 View Post
Very nice garden I noticed your sweet corn is in very wide rows.
Just a little farm history the 39" row width comes from the horse era that is the width required between rows so the hourses would not trample the crop while working it. Current farmers are experimenting with rows less than 20" the limits they have now are tire widths of the implements. Corn pollinates better when planted closer together. You may want to experiment with 4 rows spaced 1 to 1-1/2 ft apart. you may only need to cultivate it once or twice during the season because once the leaves cover the rows (canopy stage) the weed load will be reduced.
I plow and furrow with a Gravely walk behind tractor and my rows are 30" apart which works out good for my potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli and beans. You're right though, at 24" or less, I could manage to squeeze in an extra row or 2 of sweet corn if I needed it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 09:13 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,224,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
I buy the handles for the push cultivators and I make the handles for the hoes. I buy replacement handles for heavy duty construction wheelbarrows and then I use a spoke shave to whittle them down and make them fit the hoe head perfectly. Notice the 2 different styles here, they're completely opposite. Occasionally I have to replace the blades. I think these are from the 40's and 50's era and will last a lifetime.
That is really cool how you are taking something old and making it new again.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:46 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,747,402 times
Quote:
They're called push cultivators and I picked them up at yard sales and flea markets and replaced the handles and wheels and new paint. Originally. they came with steel wheels but the bicycle tires work much better.
Seriously, that's awesome, HomersBoy! Um.....yeah, kinda wanting one. LOL Thanks so much for sharing! and BRAVO on the restoration!

Old 06-15-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I buy the handles for the push cultivators and I make the handles for the hoes. I buy replacement handles for heavy duty construction wheelbarrows and then I use a spoke shave to whittle them down and make them fit the hoe head perfectly. Notice the 2 different styles here, they're completely opposite. Occasionally I have to replace the blades. I think these are from the 40's and 50's era and will last a lifetime.
You are in inspiration!!!!!! Now.....seriously, I want one! Although we're close to the ocean, we have some serious old farm country around here as well, especially a few miles NE of here. I can't tell you how many times I've seen these at garage sales on old farms..but thought, NAH.....that's just one more thing I probably wouldn't use and would end up taking up space! Seriously....yeah, wanting one now.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:23 AM

715 posts, read 1,236,873 times
My FMIL came over yesterday for a father's day BBQ and I showed her my containers. I was showing her my container of broccoli and how one of them was coming up nice.....only to have her inform me that it was the leaves of a dandelion and not of a broccoli forming.

Looks like I'll be getting just spinach and jalapenos this year.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:50 AM

LMAO......oh NOOOO!!

Okay....so did I mention the major fight I had with those cabbage moths and their ummm freakin' offspring? So?...... as I was perusing the internet, looking for some practical tips on protecting our precious brassicas from the little white destroyers....I came upon "coffee grounds" as a possible aid to the dilemna. Hey! I drink coffee! WE drink a LOT of coffee! Coffee grounds, I can DO!.

Y'all.....I kid you not, I save my grounds in a container anyway.....right? So? I grabbed my "wet grounds" container and headed out to the garden and started sprinkling grounds over the brassicas. I was able to get a "bit" around all of them, then went out a couple of days later and did a bit more. I kid you not....I have not seen ONE, single, cabbage moth.....not ONE!....since sprinkling those grounds!!!

Thinking that maybe I was just not seeing them, personally....I asked the rest of the gang if they'd seen any this last week. Well, now......trust me, after the family heard about my 1-1/2 hr killing spree (to protect those brassicas) they've been on the lookout for those buggers! Everyone has said, "NO, not one cabbage moth!" So....here's hoping, right? ....that it really works!? I'm going to continue to use my grounds on those guys. It doesn't seem to take much, to create an "aroma" that deters them. I don't know if it masks the scent of the brassicas or if they simply don't like the smell, but wow, I've never seen anything like it!

Old 06-16-2014, 07:55 AM

8,742 posts, read 13,011,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
My FMIL came over yesterday for a father's day BBQ and I showed her my containers. I was showing her my container of broccoli and how one of them was coming up nice.....only to have her inform me that it was the leaves of a dandelion and not of a broccoli forming.

Looks like I'll be getting just spinach and jalapenos this year.
Thanks for the laugh

I know it's not funny when the FMIL say that but you will laugh later looking back. We ALL makes mistakes like this

Old 06-16-2014, 09:14 AM

I keep finding tiny cream body with black stripes spiders on my kohlrabi found one green worm but no others since that one. These spiders have me scratching my head I go wipe of each leaf every morning & some will be back tonight or in the morning. I've made sure there are no cobwebs on my garden box I hate seeing holes in leaves.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 AM

715 posts, read 1,236,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Thanks for the laugh

I know it's not funny when the FMIL say that but you will laugh later looking back. We ALL makes mistakes like this
LOL, it's all good, lots of lessons learned. I was just very disappointed, she says dandelion must've flown into my container at one point. I have a good report with the FMIL thankfully; she even said the dandelion leaves make a good bitter salad.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
LOL, it's all good, lots of lessons learned. I was just very disappointed, she says dandelion must've flown into my container at one point. I have a good report with the FMIL thankfully; she even said the dandelion leaves make a good bitter salad.
My gma would kind of steam/fry them in a skillet with a little bacon grease my gpa loved it that way. I passed as a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden