Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 04:22 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
love patty pans, don't have any this year, maybe next. Now it looks like you are going to get busy making pickles, right?
It's my first time with Pattypans. I have no idea when to pick or what to do with them, lol. All I know is I am squashed out, lol. I pick it and then steam it and eat or can it It's another experiment year. I also have acorn squash, watermelon and cantaloupe growing which is a first for me.

I have been canning a lot. Yesterday I canned pickles, zucchini squash and two batches of green beans.

My tomatoes seem very slow this year. Lots of green but nothing red yet except for a few sweet 100's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 04:25 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialgal View Post
I make a zucchini crisp that most people think is an apple crisp. I make it in the fall with my frozen sliced zukes. It's a nice change from the bread which is always good
Yum…please share.

I am going to make this one today to try the recipe:
Zucchini Cobbler Bars - Taste and Tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Picked my first tomatoes and peppers today! I could barely find them in the weeds.

Note to self: Weed garden tomorrow.
Yay. My weeds are crazy except by the squash. The leaves are so big that the weeds aren't really growing.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:05 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Something's attacking my basil, both kinds. And the potatoes that are in a laundry basket! The leaves first yellowed, now are spotty, and I fear it's some disease.

I'll see if I can get pics later.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Something's attacking my basil, both kinds. And the potatoes that are in a laundry basket! The leaves first yellowed, now are spotty, and I fear it's some disease.

I'll see if I can get pics later.
that is awful: I wonder how our ancestors survived, living on farms and depending on the earth for survival? We all have our gardens for fun and health: we suffer through plant diseases, drought, and bugs, but we can always replant next year. Of course there are also sprays, good or bad, that the farmers 100 or more years ago didn't have.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:15 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
that is awful: I wonder how our ancestors survived, living on farms and depending on the earth for survival? We all have our gardens for fun and health: we suffer through plant diseases, drought, and bugs, but we can always replant next year. Of course there are also sprays, good or bad, that the farmers 100 or more years ago didn't have.

Thanks. I think they knew things we didn't...and often had crop failures anyway. Food for thought!

Once I get pics I may try transplanting, then moving them. Everything's in containers this year.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:08 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
The garden is awful this year; whether it's neglect--I've had knee problems since Easter and haven't obsessed over the garden as usual --disease, or just a bad year, I don't know. The peppers look stunted, a few of the tomato plants are brown and wilted, and we've had plenty of rain and I've done my usual fertilizer routine.

Won't be many canning jars being filled with tomato products this year.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:27 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
I watered my garden this afternoon and took stock of how things are coming along. The zucchini plant has a nice sized zucchini that I will pick within the next couple of days. What I noticed next to the zucchini plant made me I planted a viola and a marigold plant to help attract pollinators. Well, the viola plant is completely gone! The only thing that I can imagine is that a feisty squirrel jumped the fence and ate it.

August is our rainiest month so my zucchini plant will need all the help it can get. I guess I will visit the local nursery tomorrow and purchase another flowering plant but definitely not a viola.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
I'm not sure. I have way more respect for American settlers. In my home country there are not NEARLY as many pests and no winter. How in the heck people kept from dying is beyond me. My grandparents had a TON of kids and put them to work doing chores and stuff. I'm sure Americans did the same thing. I'm sure if there wasn't always enough to eat, the kids would go and forage for stuff like berries, pawpaw, squirrels or whatever.

My blackberries, peaches and asian pears are ripening now...and in many cases the bugs are getting to them before I do. But I guess bugs have protein, so it is not all bad.

I'm having trouble in the veggie garden! This many of my tomatoes have blight. Will I be able to eat them? Also I'm growing scarlet runner beans in additon to my purple pole beans. The purple beans have been DRIPPING as usual with delicious beans...but the scarlet beans...tons of flowers and NO BEANS.

They are right next to one another. What could be going on? These are pretty, but other than that they seem to be a waste of space.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I'm not sure. I have way more respect for American settlers. In my home country there are not NEARLY as many pests and no winter. How in the heck people kept from dying is beyond me. My grandparents had a TON of kids and put them to work doing chores and stuff. I'm sure Americans did the same thing. I'm sure if there wasn't always enough to eat, the kids would go and forage for stuff like berries, pawpaw, squirrels or whatever.

My blackberries, peaches and asian pears are ripening now...and in many cases the bugs are getting to them before I do. But I guess bugs have protein, so it is not all bad.

I'm having trouble in the veggie garden! This many of my tomatoes have blight. Will I be able to eat them? Also I'm growing scarlet runner beans in additon to my purple pole beans. The purple beans have been DRIPPING as usual with delicious beans...but the scarlet beans...tons of flowers and NO BEANS.

They are right next to one another. What could be going on? These are pretty, but other than that they seem to be a waste of space.
My grandmothers family came from Germany, she was the first one born in America and had 13 brothers and sisters. All lived to adulthood except one that fell into a well and drown at a very young age I believe. They lived on a farm, but did not own it, they were farm hands. My mom was 1 of 6 kids, all did what they could to survive as they were very poor and my husbands mom was one of 7; they owned a farm, worked day and night to make a decent living. Those days are so far removed from today's life.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:02 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Whoops it turns out my tomatoes have septoria leaf spot and not blight...from the looks of it. There is one that is immune, even though most of the ones I've planted are supposed to be resistant to a variety of diseases. Anyway I'm pretty sure it is not blight.

I've also found out that scarlet runner beans may not make food until the weather gets colder OR into the second year of their life, since they are perennial(?). This was one of the packets of seeds that I had gotten for free, so I guess I'm learning a lesson.

My gardens including the ornamental ones for the most part look pretty nice. But there are a ton of weeds in some that I need to get on. Ugh annual grasses. The purple pole beans and the okra are being nice and producing food, and the french sorrel has gotten huge! I think it may also be self seeding around like the horehound. I love herbs. There are a few melissa babies around, but I'm going to get them and try no to let any of those things flower this year. What a mistake.

My english roses look AWFUL this year, and I've decided to chuck them, but I may put one in the veggie garden and see if it fares any better. The others are compost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden