Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 06:03 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Show off

Still to early here to plant
It ain't bragging if you do it. And do it 2 days early.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 10:07 AM

Old 05-08-2015, 02:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
That looks so, so good. Yum!!!!

Old 05-08-2015, 03:31 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Snow forecast for Sunday. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:55 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Snow forecast for Sunday. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
That is crazy! We are having a mini heat wave over here...compounded with what seems like abnormally low rainfall. I've checked the drought watch, and supposedly it is normal... It seems we got heavier rain in spring in previous years.

But I may be sensitive since I have SO MANY NEW PLANTS TO WATER! ;D I'm getting a lot of exercise walking around watering things. Most of the things I planted are for my ornamental garden, so what is going on with the veggies:
Spinach is going strong. I planted two types. One bolted and I ate as much as I could and composted the rest of it. I've been eating a LOT of spinach for the past week and a half.
Snow peas...oh the irony. Will I EVER master these? I planted them with inoculant and they are almost tall enough to climb...but we're having a dry spell it seems AND a heat wave?

Chard and Beets - These have peeped up. It hurts me to have to water them. Rainwater is best.

Onion, garlic and lettuce - My lettuce bed is FULL of tiny weeds. What the heck? I weeded like MAD yesterday and of course watered all this stuff. I can't remember if onion or garlic is the heavy feeder, but I'll be putting down some slow release fertilizer today. Yes I know. But I'm too tired from running around with the hose to cart compost over to the veggie garden.

Fun and Games. I'm hoping all the heat means a BUMPER year for okra, tomatoes (yes trying AGAIN) and eggplant, which I LOVE. I put down some compost last year for my squash/pumpkin bed. If it really looks like rain, I'll uncover the patch and put down the seeds. Love pumpkins, too.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
That is crazy! We are having a mini heat wave over here...compounded with what seems like abnormally low rainfall. I've checked the drought watch, and supposedly it is normal... It seems we got heavier rain in spring in previous years.

But I may be sensitive since I have SO MANY NEW PLANTS TO WATER! ;D I'm getting a lot of exercise walking around watering things. Most of the things I planted are for my ornamental garden, so what is going on with the veggies:
Spinach is going strong. I planted two types. One bolted and I ate as much as I could and composted the rest of it. I've been eating a LOT of spinach for the past week and a half.
Snow peas...oh the irony. Will I EVER master these? I planted them with inoculant and they are almost tall enough to climb...but we're having a dry spell it seems AND a heat wave?

Chard and Beets - These have peeped up. It hurts me to have to water them. Rainwater is best.

Onion, garlic and lettuce - My lettuce bed is FULL of tiny weeds. What the heck? I weeded like MAD yesterday and of course watered all this stuff. I can't remember if onion or garlic is the heavy feeder, but I'll be putting down some slow release fertilizer today. Yes I know. But I'm too tired from running around with the hose to cart compost over to the veggie garden.

Fun and Games. I'm hoping all the heat means a BUMPER year for okra, tomatoes (yes trying AGAIN) and eggplant, which I LOVE. I put down some compost last year for my squash/pumpkin bed. If it really looks like rain, I'll uncover the patch and put down the seeds. Love pumpkins, too.
The weeds is one reason we went to strictly cantainer gardening this year. I cant' believe how everything is coming up. Now I have to start thinning the cukes and squash out. Oh I hate to do it, but I know I have no choice.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:56 PM

It does get hot. Squash taking a defensive posture.

The center section of about 300 containers to water up to twice a day until drippers are installed.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:04 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
33 degrees this morning with frost. I went running out like a mad man spraying water on my garden, when I grabbed my wife's hair dryer and the 100 foot extension cord she stopped me with that "seriously" look women seem to learn in school.

Everything survived, bright sunshine and 58 degrees today.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:53 PM

205 posts, read 272,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
33 degrees this morning with frost. I went running out like a mad man spraying water on my garden, when I grabbed my wife's hair dryer and the 100 foot extension cord she stopped me with that "seriously" look women seem to learn in school.

Everything survived, bright sunshine and 58 degrees today.
LOL!

Old 05-11-2015, 05:56 PM

205 posts, read 272,313 times
Finally!
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-strawberries.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden