U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 02:29 PM

206,761 posts, read 79,980,490 times

Advertisements

Sad, very sad. I saw way to much of hail damage in MO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 03:43 PM

205 posts, read 243,564 times
It happened to me a few years back in North Carolina. I had to start over. I am sorry for you.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:25 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,681,642 times
Over here we had some heavy rain, so beforehand, I planted the following seeds:
eggplant, okra, squash, bell and ancho pepper. I planted herbs and flowers too: calendula, dill, basil, nasturtium, marigolds and tarragon. Calendula has edible flowers and is medicinal AND self sows. I've never had tarragon before.

I TRIED to eat the broccoli raab, but I ended up composting most of it. It did NOT look like the stuff in the store, and even though the stalks were really thin...basically thread-like...it bolted. The color is also light green...and the stalks were tough. This stuff is easy to grow, but I just can't consider it food. Sorry God forgive me.

Currently I still have more spinach. The onions still look small and the lettuce are happy looking. A LOT of red russian kale self sowed. It even self sowed onto the mulched areas. It is delicious, so this is not bad. The snow peas (oh the irony) have maybe THREE flowers. I planted like 10-15 of these plants, so this is really sad. Still hoping for peas...

The garlic look good and I put some fertilizer on them. The swiss chard, beets and cilantro area all babies, but look promising. I transplanted one of the self-sowed cherry tomatoes into the veggie bed. The broccoli and kohlrabi also look good...but will I get any to eat? It is almost summer.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:30 PM

206,761 posts, read 79,980,490 times
I must get out tomorrow and cut some okra. Looked closely at the pole lima beans today. Some are just a high bush and some are up the strings so high I'm going to need a step ladder to pick them.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:18 PM

4 posts, read 2,773 times
I always put crushed egg shells Epsom salt and a banana peel in the hole one day before I plant my tomatoes . I haven't gotten blossom rot or early blight since I started that

Old 05-20-2015, 05:20 PM

4 posts, read 2,773 times
I have a question anyone here know how to detox the soil in the veggie garden? I have one spot that no matter what I plant I get a virus.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:45 PM

18,286 posts, read 21,276,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulonfam View Post
I always put crushed egg shells Epsom salt and a banana peel in the hole one day before I plant my tomatoes . I haven't gotten blossom rot or early blight since I started that
I never put the banana peel in but did the other 2 and never got either until last year. My first year city living doing container gardening forgot the 2 ingredients actually then was told not necessary in containers. Wrong. BER did in 2 plants and the other never set blooms in another big container.

This year friends planted my flowers & veggies due to my surgery they didn't put in either 2 ingredients in my tomatoes so I'm praying they will be OK this year since I can't get out there for another 11 weeks myself to replant.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:41 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,613,992 times
Frost this morning, but just a light frost. Winter Weather Advisory for snow tonight, and this weekend more rain and storms. Hopefully my poor garden can make it though.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:51 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,363,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Frost this morning, but just a light frost. Winter Weather Advisory for snow tonight, and this weekend more rain and storms. Hopefully my poor garden can make it though.
Jim, do you have back-ups in the event you lose anything? How are the plants recovering from the hail storm?

This spring has been one of the roughest starts I can remember. April and the first part of May were so promising and now the tables have turned. I am hesitant to even plant until next weekend (May 30) if the forecast for heavy rain and low 60s holds for this weekend here along the Front Range. Temperatures are supposed to moderate some next week, but the soils in my containers are still in the 50s. My pepper and eggplant transplants are doing well, but my tomatoes have begun getting a bit spindly. I've kept them in the garage the past 3 days because of the cold weather. I did set them back out this morning at 6:00am into 43º temperatures since the high is supposed to be near 60º. Hopefully they'll be fine when I get home after 5:00pm.

First year starting from seed and Mother Nature is teaching me all the lessons I need to learn QUICK. Guess it's good to get a challenging year under my belt right away..

Old 05-21-2015, 03:16 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,613,992 times
Well, everything I started from seed is just breaking ground and looks good. My broccoli, lettuce, spinach, and tomatoes are gone. I'll replant them in a couple of weeks, mid JUNE. Ah spring in western Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or