U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 01:19 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,613,992 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else done this? Wandered out to the garden, poked around pulled a few weeds. Next morning walked out and BAM! There's vegetables ready to pick! This morning I picked broccoli, spinach, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, green onions, kale this morning. It seemed everything tripled overnight.

I am going to have one heck of a salad tonight with supper!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 03:31 PM

205 posts, read 243,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
My peppers, broccoli, tomatoes and beans got a much needed rain today.
Very nice garden. It really looks great!

Old 06-11-2015, 10:40 AM

77,168 posts, read 89,938,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Has anyone else done this? Wandered out to the garden, poked around pulled a few weeds. Next morning walked out and BAM! There's vegetables ready to pick! This morning I picked broccoli, spinach, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, green onions, kale this morning. It seemed everything tripled overnight.

I am going to have one heck of a salad tonight with supper!
Good going: We have mostly or totally warm weather stuff so we are a few weeks away, but today I went out and was shocked at all the squash blossoms we have: we had none just yesterday. I was also surprised to see so many jalapeno and serranto peppers, and tomatoes that have come from nowhere. I am guessing we will be picking in about 2 weeks. I can hardly wait. This has been a slow year. Normally by now we are picking tomatoes at least.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:13 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,613,992 times
And ANOTHER hail storm! AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

Old 06-12-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
And ANOTHER hail storm! AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!
I bet you are about to think this is never going to stop?? Now, we are due for 6 straight days of rain. Certainly nothing like May, but still. I do want some. I would love to save on water, but we don't need 6 days in a row. How about tonight or tomorrow and then a break until about Tues?

Old 06-13-2015, 10:23 AM

12,332 posts, read 9,907,809 times
Peppers, tomatoes, and salad greens doing well. Everything else, not so much.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:35 PM

205 posts, read 243,564 times
Harvested my red potatoes today. I got 15 pounds from my 4x4 bed and eight seed potatoes from Loews. Not a ton, but good for us. We'll be trying them tonight!
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-20150614_120331.jpg  

Old 06-15-2015, 01:42 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,844,460 times
My veggie garden is looking great! Luckily, I got everything weeded except the corn before the skies emptied yesterday.

Where I live, you really can't safely plant before Memorial Day, and you might do well to wait even until the very end of May like the 30th or 31st. This year we had a killing frost in most of the area about May 20th, so my stuff hasn't been in the ground very long.

My early tomatoes have blossoms. The pumpkins are continuing to flower like they can't wait to produce pumpkins ASAP. I also have a tiny little banana pepper coming. The peas are starting to eye the first rung of the pea fence, the swiss chard is almost ready to pick, and the radishes are going crazy. The spinach, okra, dill, lettuce, and carrots have all sprouted. The beans are doing nicely. The first planting of corn is about 3 inches high, and the smaller second planting is sprouted.

I planted some basil yesterday, and I'm sure the rain will insure that those little guys do well in their new homes.

My tomatillos appear to be stretching skyward. Since I've never planted them before, does anybody know if they need some kind of support? I have plenty of spare tomato cages that I can use (I only have 4 plants).

What I really need for my garden is about a week of no rain to let it dry out some. Save the rain for later in the summer!

Old 06-16-2015, 08:18 AM

Well we are back to several days in a row with rain. It is either dry as a bone or way too wet. I did check this morning, we have zillions of cukes blossoms, and I was our friend the bee out there yesterday, so hope we will get enough at once to make pickles. We do have lots of tiny baby ones. Our squash isn't doing to well, hope it survives. We do have a few blossoms. I don't know why,but for some reason here I do not have the luck with squash I had in New Mexico. I still have lots of bean blossoms but no beans yet and the tomatoes are doing well, not great. Peppers iffy; look like we will have plenty but I am not sure of the size.

I have one problem and I am not sure what is causing it: either some of the tomatoes are damaged (leaves only) by an insect or the strange weather, but I have leaves conpletely drying out or turning yellow with brown spots. I am still getting tomatoes though.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:27 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,681,642 times
Quote:
Has anyone else done this? Wandered out to the garden, poked around pulled a few weeds. Next morning walked out and BAM! There's vegetables ready to pick!...
This has never happened. LOL not to me. I've pulled up all of the snow peas. I did get peas after a struggle with the vines. Strangely enough, these things are supposed to be cool-weather vegetables, but did not get going until it got HOT. Total BS vegetable. So much energy goes to foliage and not enough actual food. Hopefully they are a powerhouse of vitamins.

My new herbs seem to be established, and everything has come up except the Russian tarragon. I'm sure it will annoy me by germinating when I least expect it...now that I know it is inferior to French tarragon...which is what I should have planted. There is a cute native caterpillar eating some of the parsley. My lettuce is going to seed. So is the cilantro. Need to plan recipes.

The garlic looks ready to pull today. The onions in the same bed are still small for the most part. Hopefully they will be ready in a week or two, because I'm going to use that bed for sweet potatoes. These are the red west indian sweet potatoes...same as the ornamental ones...and they get BIG. Saved $$$ by growing my own slips this year. The chard and beets look good. Hopefully I can start eating the beets next week.

The basil is coming up and so is the okra. I believe I planted some eggplant in the tomato bed, so hopefully that will rear its little head soon. The cherry tomato has flowers on it, but the other two (legend and mariana) are still small. The Kohlrabi looks good, but the broccoli still has not headed. I pulled it ALL up...waste of time...but I left two to see what they would do. So far nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or