U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 03:41 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,447,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Has anyone else done this? Wandered out to the garden, poked around pulled a few weeds. Next morning walked out and BAM! There's vegetables ready to pick! This morning I picked broccoli, spinach, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, green onions, kale this morning. It seemed everything tripled overnight.

I am going to have one heck of a salad tonight with supper!
Absolutely! The majority of growth happens at night. The warmer the night, the more growth you get. I've watched Morning Glories the entire day while drinking a couple a cold ones. Not one moved one iota of an inch. The next day suffering from hammer head, they were three inches taller! So my rule is: If ya wanna watch your plants grow: Drink at night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 10:55 AM

77,168 posts, read 89,938,546 times
It looks like my tomatoes are going to be limited this season. I am still hoping, but it appears the constant rain has taken its toll. Many of the leaves have just dried up or turned yellow and a lot of the blossoms have dried up. We do have some and will get more, but nothing like we had hoped.The squash doesn't look healthy either. We do have leaves, but only a handful of blossoms.On the other hand our cukes are looking great and I picked a couple of peppers yesterday. I am really disappointed, but next year is another year and we still have the majority of this season ahead, so maybe there is still time. I did just check out too much water and that apears to be the problem.

Last edited by nmnita; 06-21-2015 at 11:06 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 03:00 PM

205 posts, read 243,564 times
Nmnita, sorry to hear about your tomatoes. We haven't had the too much water challenge. We've been the othe way...not enough. But, it has recovered somewhat over the past week. In any case, we got our first ripe tomatoes today. A bunch of New Girl's and Grape tomatoes. Don't give up...there's plenty of time left in the season. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-image.jpg  

Old 06-21-2015, 03:49 PM

3,439 posts, read 2,351,197 times
We picked our first Cherokee Wax beans!

Old 06-22-2015, 05:36 AM

40,250 posts, read 49,764,345 times
I am very disappointed in my tomato plants too! They are not very lush looking plants and they have not gotten many flowers or tomatoes. They must be lacking something, but I don't understand it, because I always add several different types of compost in the spring, and I've given them a few doses of Miracle Gro too.
I have a beautiful eggplant plant that gets flowers, but no eggplants. At least the herbs are happy and healthy.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:59 AM

515 posts, read 690,432 times
Cucumbers are doing their thing. If I had it do to over, I would have used woven wire fencing instead of poultry wire. This would have allowed more cucumbers to be picked from the bottom and not get imbedded into the wire.
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-100_1322.jpg   All Vegetable Gardening-100_1321.jpg  

Old 06-27-2015, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,155 times
I have always done this when planting Tomatoes, the calcium eggshells stops blossom end rot.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:06 PM

452 posts, read 354,015 times
If your tomato plant has great greenery but no fruit it's usually because it's too hot for tomatoes to set fruit.

First stop with the nitrogen fertilizers, that promotes green but not blossoms. If you do have blossom then wait for the early morning when it's cool and go out and gently shake the plants. Just tap them with your hand. This encourages them to pollinate. They self pollinate and rely on wind to do the shaking in the wild.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:22 PM

205 posts, read 243,564 times
The last two days the temperature has finally gone below 90 degrees. My tomato plants started flowering again, just like they are supposed to. Yay!

Old 06-29-2015, 04:52 AM

77,168 posts, read 89,938,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotsdamBear83 View Post
The last two days the temperature has finally gone below 90 degrees. My tomato plants started flowering again, just like they are supposed to. Yay!
I am hoping ours will, but it looks like our next few days are going up, not down. I do think I have more green follage than I did a few days ago and I am picking a few tomatoes. I also managed to get enough green beans for dinner tonight. How many more I will get, I do not know. I think I will replant the beans and not crowd them so much. That may be part of my problem this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or