Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 03:22 AM

48,110 posts, read 21,992,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I have a question. What does really well in a lot of heat? Peppers do right? Anything else?
many plants do well with lots of heat....as long as the soil is rich with organic material and they also get a regular supply of water....tomatoes, melons, squash, collards..beans, corn . Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 03:57 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
many plants do well with lots of heat....as long as the soil is rich with organic material and they also get a regular supply of water....tomatoes, melons, squash, collards..beans, corn . Good Luck.
So those should be fine with above 100 degree temps all summer? That's what I meant by lots of heat. Water is not an issue. That's what a hose is for since there won't be any rain. I wanted to add that we don't water with the hose.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:07 AM

The heat isnt going to be your problem.....southern california grows much of the nations food in extreme heat.....strawberries, tomatoes, etc. Irrigation is the essential ingredient.....the adobe clay soil is very hard to work however....if you have that.....I dont know what to recommend...I never got used to it.

There are some crops like lettuce, radishes, that like cool conditions and tend to "bolt" or flower and go to seed in extreme heat....but I think there are varieties that are adapted to your conditions....but you might need the advice of local gardeners.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:17 AM

Thanks. I container garden. It's easier here in the mobile home park. I don't know of any local gardeners. The only things I have really seen are the orange groves. People around here aren't really into the whole gardening thing.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:21 AM

You should do fine with containers......If you do tomatoes....they need water but you can over do it....and then the tomatoes crack.....they need regular watering....but not excess. If you keep your eye on them you can tell plants will wilt if they need water and perk right back up when they get a drink.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:58 AM

PSR13 I just thought......if you like eggplant.....they would love to grow in the heat in a container....can you get plants instead of trying to start from seed?

Old 04-29-2009, 09:50 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
I would pinch off those yellow leaves and bury the tomato plant so that just the top branches are sticking out, about 5 inches above the dirt. If its not in the ground yet, you may need a bigger pot. If you are having eggs, save the shells, let them dry (or plave in the oven at the lowest temp setting for a few mintues) and them put them into the blender to powder them. (Leave the lid on for a few minutes or you'll have a calcium cloud.) Pinch off all flowers. Pinch off the leaves at the tips of the stems to make the plant bush out. Also pinch any leaves (suckers) that grow in the elbow where branchs meet as they will not produce any tomatoes. Continue pinching off the flowers as well as pruning the When they are about three feet tall, you can prune the branches away from the bottom foot of the plant. This will help prevent disease.
Thank you for taking the time to teach me all of that.

I have the plants in my 2 x 4 planter box that DH built me. It's deeper than it has to be.. I did cover up the bottom set of leaves when I planted them a few weeks ago at least.. do you still suggest that I pull them up and plant them in deeper?

Also, when do you stop pinching off the flowers and let the tomatoes start growing? Are you saying not until it is 3 feet tall?

Old 04-29-2009, 11:10 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I have a question. What does really well in a lot of heat? Peppers do right? Anything else?
Okra. Provided no bad nematodes.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
A good tip I picked from an old guy at our local allotment was, when growing beans always cover the bottom of the trench with old newspapers, they absorb and hold water very well in dry periods and produce a very good and heavy crop.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
PSR13 I just thought......if you like eggplant.....they would love to grow in the heat in a container....can you get plants instead of trying to start from seed?
I've never had eggplant before. I just recently started eating vegetables really. I didn't grow up on them at all. Plus, they cost like five bucks each in the store. I haven't seen them in plant form around here, but I can look harder. I was interested in growing it, though. I hear it's good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden