U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 07:21 AM

40,250 posts, read 49,764,345 times

Advertisements

My garden was worse than ever this year. I am stumped as to why some things thrive and some do not. The herbs are big and healthy, the pepper plants are healthy, but low producing, the tomato plants have withered and died. I got one tomato and a few cherry tomatoes. I have two nice looking eggplants to pick.
Next year I will focus on heavy tomato fertilizer, and if that doesn't work, I'm done trying. I'll just stick to herbs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 07:36 AM

3,439 posts, read 2,351,197 times
The timatoes are dying back...wasn,t a great year for them, and the variety Container Choice is one I won't use again. Cubanelle pepper is still doing well, but like everything else in my earthboxes, it has flopped over because those things can not offer much by way of internal support.

Beans...we did much better last year with yellow wax beans overcrowded in a single earthbox. This year they are being attacked by some disease or other. I had the yellows in two containers, and green beans in with the Cubanelle. The green beans are doing slightly better than the yellows. Trouble is, you can't see those until they are almost too big.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:11 AM

77,168 posts, read 89,938,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My garden was worse than ever this year. I am stumped as to why some things thrive and some do not. The herbs are big and healthy, the pepper plants are healthy, but low producing, the tomato plants have withered and died. I got one tomato and a few cherry tomatoes. I have two nice looking eggplants to pick.
Next year I will focus on heavy tomato fertilizer, and if that doesn't work, I'm done trying. I'll just stick to herbs.
Though you live in a totally different region of the country than I do, your experience sounds familiar. I had a little better luck than you and still have a lot of tomato blossoms (well a lot in comparison to a few months ago) and a few cukes. Our peppers are doing ok, if you consider a bell about the size of your thumb ok. The beans were not great, okra, nice and green plants, not one okra. I too, have had good luck with the herbs.

This is my first year with container gardening. I will give it another year and see what happens. I thought I was doing everything about right. Of course even the Farmers markets don't have the best produce this year. Hopefully next year will give us a nice spring, but not 20 inches of rain and a summer like this has been.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:02 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,681,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sorry to hear that. Veggie gardening is hard. I think I'm done with regular full-sized tomatoes. Maybe I'll try one in my normal garden bed, but they seem to be disease magnets and do not do well in the raised beds. I have some that self sow.

Right now in my garden, the zukes are on their last legs. These are bush and I'm starting to pull them up. The butterbush has just one fruit. Oh no. I have to plant a TON more of these next year because I LOVE them. They take a while to get really sweet, though. The uchiki kuri squash has three on it and this is the best this one has done for me. The acorn squash has two also. Not a lot, but enough for me. Totally worth the squash borer surgery.

The yellow cherry tomato is giving a lot of fruit YES. I need to remember to save seeds since I pulled up the other ones. The full sized tomatoes I started inside haven't even put out flowers yet. There are some small peppers that are still green, and the okra are producing as usual. I love okra.

The sweet potato vines are a lot bigger, but haven't gone crazy yet. Proud to have started these myself from slips, so I'm hoping this goes well so I can do it again next year. LOVE sweet potatoes. I did plant some scarlet runner beans and bush watermelon late. The watermelon have flowers on some of the vines...ugh I have to water these. Lets see how they do. I suck at growing melons.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:38 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,613,992 times
I have enough vegetables to stock a Safeway produce section. Freezer is full. Canning this week. I've given bags and bags away to family and friends. Making about 12 jars of bread and butter pickles from all the cucumbers I have too. WHEW!

Old 08-16-2015, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 14,299 times
I like gardening sometimes.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:33 PM

11,340 posts, read 17,996,125 times
Peppers (jalapeño) have done better for me than tomatoes, I honestly thought it'd be the other way around. I had to put my "backup" jalapeño in the ground because it outgrew its pot, and my main jalapeño plant is just flying. The tomatoes seem to be getting their act together, although it's not really their fault they were afflicted with every disease possible.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:59 AM

77,168 posts, read 89,938,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Peppers (jalapeño) have done better for me than tomatoes, I honestly thought it'd be the other way around. I had to put my "backup" jalapeño in the ground because it outgrew its pot, and my main jalapeño plant is just flying. The tomatoes seem to be getting their act together, although it's not really their fault they were afflicted with every disease possible.
Our really hot weather is about to end, and the rain is pretty much behind us, so my tomatoes have some nice blossoms, so do the peppers. WE will see. I hope next month and the first of Oct will bring us some kind of satisfaction. I have been gardening for many years and this has been one of our worst. I will add, gardening in AR isn't as easy as a few other places we have lived.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:52 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,613,992 times
Sunflowers seem to be doing well.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:28 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,681,642 times
Ooh pretty sunflowers. I just planted some leaf lettuce and rutabaga seeds. I'm getting lots of cherry tomatoes, but no eggplant at all yet. They may not happen this year. I've harvested most of the winter squash, and there are some baby watermelons I'm hoping will make it.

The sweet potato vines have gotten going and hopefully this bodes well. I'll have to start drying some of the herbs...right after I freeze the million peaches I got this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or