U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 05:03 AM

75,899 posts, read 88,780,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Ooh pretty sunflowers. I just planted some leaf lettuce and rutabaga seeds. I'm getting lots of cherry tomatoes, but no eggplant at all yet. They may not happen this year. I've harvested most of the winter squash, and there are some baby watermelons I'm hoping will make it.

The sweet potato vines have gotten going and hopefully this bodes well. I'll have to start drying some of the herbs...right after I freeze the million peaches I got this year.
wow, peaches here haven't been very good and are ripening before you can even eat them. We do not have a peach tree, but we buy them from local farmers. We have only had one batch that were worth much. I have decided not to even bother buying anymore except maybe a couple for making marmelade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 09:15 AM

3,374 posts, read 2,303,637 times
Well, whadaya know? The tomatoes, which we were about to rip out, just got their second wind!

There are five or so biggish Container Choice tomatoes, and baby Black Krim, and I THINK baby Black Prince also. And blossoms.

Same with the beans!

Oh, and we just ate two teensy baby carrots while thinning the herd. I got a huge kick out of it.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Well, whadaya know? The tomatoes, which we were about to rip out, just got their second wind!

There are five or so biggish Container Choice tomatoes, and baby Black Krim, and I THINK baby Black Prince also. And blossoms.

Same with the beans!

Oh, and we just ate two teensy baby carrots while thinning the herd. I got a huge kick out of it.
we have so many blossoms, but no tomatoes. I am so hoping we will see a few before it gets too late in the season. It hasn't been too hot for them to set, we have had enough water, but not too much, I just don't know what to think. I keep checking but so far no tomatoes. We did have a few early in the season, very early. We too were thinking of pulling some of our plants out. I think we will do some this next week or so.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:29 AM

205 posts, read 242,162 times
Pulled the bean plants today. Got one more crop and seeds for next year!
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-image.jpg  

Old 08-31-2015, 10:15 AM

11,666 posts, read 13,413,272 times
I have literally hundreds of green tomatoes on my plants. I sure hope they will ripen before it snows or the first freeze.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:18 AM

18,286 posts, read 21,179,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I have literally hundreds of green tomatoes on my plants. I sure hope they will ripen before it snows or the first freeze.
Pick them, wrap them in newspaper and put them in a box with a lid & send them to me. No seriously do all of it before the sending them to me store in a cool dark closet they will ripen. Won't be fresh picked flavor but better than hot house in the grocery store. It will run you through the holidays with homegrown tomatoes.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:11 PM

3,374 posts, read 2,303,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Pick them, wrap them in newspaper and put them in a box with a lid & send them to me. No seriously do all of it before the sending them to me store in a cool dark closet they will ripen. Won't be fresh picked flavor but better than hot house in the grocery store. It will run you through the holidays with homegrown tomatoes.

We did that one year. It really works!

Old 09-01-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
That's good to know thanks!

Old 09-03-2015, 08:29 AM

We
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
We did that one year. It really works!
We did this every year in NM and I think one year here, but usually our tomatoes are gone by now. I checked yesterday; we have a couple babies plus so many, many blossoms. If the set, we will be picking and wrapping in paper next month. We are about 2 months away from any frost, at least 6 weeks or so. Of course with the strange weather we have had this year who knows? I just hope we get nice tomatoes next month. we haven't had a one since late June or early July. We have gone from too much rain, to no rain and back to a lot of rain, with never knowing exactly how much to water inbetween.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:48 PM

I just canned 10 quarts of bread and butter pickles from the cucumbers I picked from the garden. I've never canned before. Holy smokes those are good! I have 4 quarts in the refrigerator and am giving the rest to neighbors and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or