U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 04:20 PM

205 posts, read 243,564 times

Advertisements

Time to freeze some peppers!
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-image.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 05:10 AM

77,168 posts, read 89,938,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I just canned 10 quarts of bread and butter pickles from the cucumbers I picked from the garden. I've never canned before. Holy smokes those are good! I have 4 quarts in the refrigerator and am giving the rest to neighbors and family.
good for you: canning is one of my favorite parts of summer and early fall. In fact I probably do too much. I sware each year to cut back. I do share with friends and family though.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotsdamBear83 View Post
Time to freeze some peppers!
They look great: we got so few this year I just use a few as the rippen. I did can some, but they were not home grown by me. They came from the farmers market. I still have blossoms. I also have a lot of baby tomatoes. I just hope they are ready to pick before we leave for vacation the middle of next month.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:23 PM

11,340 posts, read 17,996,125 times
Next time around I'll be staking my peppers, my largest can't even stand up straight by itself, I had to prop it up with a large rock because it kept leaning over.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:55 PM

205 posts, read 243,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Next time around I'll be staking my peppers, my largest can't even stand up straight by itself, I had to prop it up with a large rock because it kept leaning over.
When I returned to gardening a number of years back, I remember making that mistake. My plants just broke off. I stake them when I plant them now so it's ready to use when needed.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:34 AM

well I certainly can't say i have that problem with my peppers. They do just fine, what few I get after the creatures take their share. I am excited though: I went out this am to check our tomatoes and not only are they blooming and growing like crazy I have a lot of little baby okra. Okra matures very fast so I need to watch them in the next few days. Some will be ready to pick by next week. I also picked a couple more cukes.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:59 PM

18,286 posts, read 21,276,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I never put the banana peel in but did the other 2 and never got either until last year. My first year city living doing container gardening forgot the 2 ingredients actually then was told not necessary in containers. Wrong. BER did in 2 plants and the other never set blooms in another big container.

This year friends planted my flowers & veggies due to my surgery they didn't put in either 2 ingredients in my tomatoes so I'm praying they will be OK this year since I can't get out there for another 11 weeks myself to replant.
Tomato container gardening did very poorly again this year bottoms cracked (we've had lots of rain) sizes were very small and no flavors really. Bums me out I have always been a decent gardener before city living.

Homersboy I've missed your posts & pictures this summer.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Tomato container gardening did very poorly again this year bottoms cracked (we've had lots of rain) sizes were very small and no flavors really. Bums me out I have always been a decent gardener before city living.

Homersboy I've missed your posts & pictures this summer.
yes, we had all kinds of problems with our conainers as well, due to rainy weather. We will have to replace a few of the containers. They didn't crack on the bottom as much as on the sides, etc. I am still moderately happy with my fist attempt at container gardening, but hope to do better next year.

and yes, we all miss Jaxson's posts. Times do change, sometimes I wish everything could stay the same, other times moving on it the way to go.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:23 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,681,642 times
One of my pepper plants is leaning, too. Maybe I'll stake it. I'm so happy I got maybe 5 bell peppers this year. Since I grow them from seed, it is always a challenge to get some with our short season.

The sweet potatoes are all over the veggie garden, and one has a flower. Can't WAIT to harvest these. I'll be harvesting the herbs so I can dry them in the next few weeks. I've picked all the winter squash and there are still cherry tomatoes and hot peppers there.

The Queen Sofia marigolds and the nasturtiums took a while to get going, but now they look AWESOME. I sowed seeds for rutabaga and lettuce a couple of weeks ago. The lettuce seeds haven't germinated yet, but hopefully they will with the cool weather.

The rutabaga seeds are all up, and I thinned them out today. I planted some bush watermelon near the fence and there are about 5 watermelons on them. I definitely will plant this again next year. Just earlier...Hopefully I'll get some.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:36 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,613,992 times
Nights are getting into the 40's and my garden is starting to play out. Still have tons and tons of Kale, about 20 huge pumpkins, and a few thousand tomatoes turning red. Freezer is full, and I have jars and jars of stuff I preserved for winter. The rest of the garden I harvest I'm giving to a local food bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or