U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2015, 11:18 AM

77,173 posts, read 89,928,599 times

Advertisements

Well this was the day we were to hang our outdoor Christmas lights and our son and son in law, here for the holiday weekend were to clean up my garden for me: It didn't happen; it is almost freezing here and raining. Actually they took off for the Razorback game but bet they won't last through 1 quarter. They are willing to be my slaves and clean up tomorrow before they all head back home: sure they will, it is going to be just as wet tomorrow. My guess, the garden will look even uglier come March because I doubt we are going to feel much like getting out in the cold to work until about then..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 05:26 PM

40,247 posts, read 49,757,290 times
I have the opposite problem. Here in GA, it is 70+ and fabulous. I could hardly keep myself inside. It is harder to get into the Christmas Spirit when it is sunny and warm outside. I have moved my citrus trees into the garage, and I already feel sorry for them.
Bottom line is, where ever we live, we must just go with the flow and ride it out.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:11 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,363,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have the opposite problem. Here in GA, it is 70+ and fabulous. I could hardly keep myself inside. It is harder to get into the Christmas Spirit when it is sunny and warm outside. I have moved my citrus trees into the garage, and I already feel sorry for them.
Bottom line is, where ever we live, we must just go with the flow and ride it out.
I completely agree! I pulled most of my garden in mid-October (still need to do my FINAL garden update), but I harvested fresh rosemary for our Thanksgiving turkey yesterday and it was the most delicious rosemary I've had in my entire life. I've never had fresh rosemary in late November no matter WHAT. I live in the Denver area and this is a real luxury for us! I've now learned that rosemary is an incredibly hardly herb and will work much harder next season to ensure it survives to the following season! We've had multiple nights below 10 degrees and it's still survived!

Old 11-28-2015, 08:54 AM

40,161 posts, read 19,584,490 times
I just set out Thyme, Parsely, Rosemary, Sage, Mexican Tarragon, Italian Oregano and Pineapple sage..... and filled in that bed with Kale. I am in SWFL and this is one of our planting seasons........I am finally catching on. I have carrots and turnips and brussel sprouts and bunching onions in another raised bed.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:07 AM

40,247 posts, read 49,757,290 times
That is nice, elston. Here in zone 8, there are some things I can grow all winter in the herb garden. My oregano and rosemary do fine, but too cold for parsley and basil. Its funny, but I used to have sage that made it through the winter in zone 5, but I'm not having much luck with it in GA.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:14 PM

1,359 posts, read 804,350 times
Does anybody know how to amend the soil or do anything to make my bibb lettuce less bitter? Or is that just the way bibb is?

Old 01-06-2016, 04:58 AM

Lettuce gets bitter if it has "bolted" in preparation to bloom and seed. At that point there isnt anything you can do...its time to pull it out. If it has been hot where you are (like where I am....it can "bolt" very rapidly. When it looks ready....not too many days before it has gone too far.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:18 AM

I have harvested kale, herbs, turnips, lettuce, peppers, green beans....from my garden in the last month. I have small garden plots to raise just a little for our 2 person household. It has been a very warm fall and early winter...so cold weather crops are really stressed.....I had to pull out the spinach....it couldnt take the heat. I wish I had planted some squash or cukes...but who knew how warm it was going to be.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 804,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Lettuce gets bitter if it has "bolted" in preparation to bloom and seed. At that point there isnt anything you can do...its time to pull it out. If it has been hot where you are (like where I am....it can "bolt" very rapidly. When it looks ready....not too many days before it has gone too far.
Thanks, that's probably it. Nothing has turned to seed yet, but I'd guess it wasn't far from it. I'm zone 9 and yes it's been through a lot of heat. I do remember the first few leaves I pulled were sweet.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:27 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,611,659 times
Wandered around the garden this morning, crunching on snow and frozen ground in 11 degrees f. Now with coffee looking at my garden plans for spring, which here planting begins June 1. Sigh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden