U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 01:00 PM

40,161 posts, read 19,585,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Wandered around the garden this morning, crunching on snow and frozen ground in 11 degrees f. Now with coffee looking at my garden plans for spring, which here planting begins June 1. Sigh...
I am still planting altho right now is probably as cold as its going to get this winter....at night in the high 30's and daytime temps around 72. We have had a heck of a lot of rain however.....must be el nino....because this is our dry season and everything is flooded. I just harvested some bok choy and some carrots yesterday.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 09:02 AM

77,168 posts, read 89,938,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am still planting altho right now is probably as cold as its going to get this winter....at night in the high 30's and daytime temps around 72. We have had a heck of a lot of rain however.....must be el nino....because this is our dry season and everything is flooded. I just harvested some bok choy and some carrots yesterday.
72, as cold as it is going to get: we won't see 72 as our high for about a 6 weeks. Some parts of AR did break records yesterday but not here. I am going to start our tomato seeds today. The room isn't really all that sunny, but it is warm and I purchased a lamp I will use. I got the seeds for Christmas. I have 3 kinds.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:16 AM

ok, I need some advise; I have never had good luck with growing from seed but this year every single tomato container I had seeds in have sprouted. Now I need to know, when do I thin them out? Some of the cups have about 4 or 5 tomatoes plants sprouting. I think I need to only have one per container, but not sure. Help!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2016, 05:30 AM

40,161 posts, read 19,585,643 times
Congratulations on the germination rate. Yes, one plant per container....but you might want to thin them down to 2 .....and then down to the one. I think most times thinning is best to be done after second set of leaves...but maybe someone else knows better than I. I think the seedlings should be about 1 or 2 inches tall when you start thinning them. You dont want to let all the plants to get so big that when you thin them their roots are all intangled and it is too much disturbance in the little pot. Good Luck.

I googled and found this you tube that answers your question https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWLw6uvHbtI They suggest trimming the extras with a small pair of scissors...makes sense as it would avoid disrupting the remaining ones roots. they say when the seedlings are about 4 inches tall.

Last edited by elston; 02-17-2016 at 06:50 AM..

Old 02-17-2016, 06:39 AM
B87

11,656 posts, read 8,367,613 times
Cleared an allotment last week and planted garlic, broad beans and potatoes. Waiting until March to plant the rest of the seeds (onions, carrots, broccoli, lettuce/cabbage, artichoke and fennel), then April to plant the sweetcorn and courgettes. Tomatoes don't do very well in the soil here due to blight, so they will be grown in containers. I'm thinking of possibly putting in a small section of fruits, maybe a small peach tree or something.

Couple of pics from last week.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Congratulations on the germination rate. Yes, one plant per container....but you might want to thin them down to 2 .....and then down to the one. I think most times thinning is best to be done after second set of leaves...but maybe someone else knows better than I. I think the seedlings should be about 1 or 2 inches tall when you start thinning them. You dont want to let all the plants to get so big that when you thin them their roots are all intangled and it is too much disturbance in the little pot. Good Luck.

I googled and found this you tube that answers your question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWLw6uvHbtI They suggest trimming the extras with a small pair of scissors...makes sense as it would avoid disrupting the remaining ones roots. they say when the seedlings are about 4 inches tall.
Thanks for the information. That will help a lot.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:50 AM

74,053 posts, read 57,435,611 times
That time of the year again I start getting into the mood of gardening... At least the mood of starting seeds I guess. Can't do nothing with a frozen ground.

Pepper seeds to be started in 2 weeks and again in 4 weeks in case those don't do well.

Crazy how time flys. Gees.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:53 AM

74,053 posts, read 57,435,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Cleared an allotment last week

Nice size plot there! That soil looks amazing! Didn't you say you had clay soil on the weather forum?

My clay looks very different from that!

Old 02-18-2016, 10:12 AM
B87

11,656 posts, read 8,367,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice size plot there! That soil looks amazing! Didn't you say you had clay soil on the weather forum?

My clay looks very different from that!
Yep, that soil is derived from the London Clay fm, and is full of rocks and pebbles. The owner of the plot next to ours told us it hadn't been used in about 4-5 years though, and when we got it it was covered in grass and nettles, maybe they helped keep the soil nutrient rich? It's also full of earthworms which keep it aerated.

The darker blocks of soil had been turned over and mixed with a bag of compost each. The ground doesn't freeze solid in this climate, and the threat of frost will be over completely by late March, so it's easy to just sow directly into the ground rather than plant inside and transplant the seedlings.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Cleared an allotment last week and planted garlic, broad beans and potatoes. Waiting until March to plant the rest of the seeds (onions, carrots, broccoli, lettuce/cabbage, artichoke and fennel), then April to plant the sweetcorn and courgettes. Tomatoes don't do very well in the soil here due to blight, so they will be grown in containers. I'm thinking of possibly putting in a small section of fruits, maybe a small peach tree or something.

Looks like you are well ahead of the game I am a month away from thinking much about getting the soil ready for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or