U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 10:14 AM

77,168 posts, read 89,938,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thanks for the information. That will help a lot.
Thanks, now let's hope I don't ********** up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 02:26 PM

74,053 posts, read 57,435,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
The ground doesn't freeze solid in this climate, and the threat of frost will be over completely by late March, so it's easy to just sow directly into the ground rather than plant inside and transplant the seedlings.
Crazy, but I see how convenient that would be. Even if my ground isn't frozen, it takes its time to warm up its still so cold in April..

How does your soil warm up so fast if you are at a further north latitude? Isnt the sun angle lower or the days shorter? I guess without many frozen days/nights then it doesn't need a full warm sun.

Checking my Seed Stock today... Couple weeks I start the 1st batch of peppers. Winter is not over yet and there's months before last frost date. (Mid May!)

Old 02-19-2016, 07:11 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,681,642 times
Wow cambium you are growing broccoli this year. Pls post pix. I'm had the worst luck with that crap last year. It never did head and cabbage white butterfly babies attacked it.

We got some of the same seeds. I'm growing more hot peppers this year. I also got some new stuff to try out like this PATIO tomato. I'm only growing cherry tomatoes in the ground, but there is a cute one for pots. Will I get to taste a home grown tomato sandwich again before I die?

Old 02-19-2016, 07:57 PM

18,982 posts, read 8,946,363 times
My cherry tomatoes are producing like crazy. I had one for lunch, my husband had the rest, it as so sweet, unbelievable. Got to have home grown tomatoes.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Wow cambium you are growing broccoli this year. Pls post pix. I'm had the worst luck with that crap last year. It never did head and cabbage white butterfly babies attacked it.

We got some of the same seeds. I'm growing more hot peppers this year. I also got some new stuff to try out like this PATIO tomato. I'm only growing cherry tomatoes in the ground, but there is a cute one for pots. Will I get to taste a home grown tomato sandwich again before I die?
Me too, 2 yrs I had no luck with Broccoli and finally said enough. Wasted garden space! So I'm not sure still. I love Broccoli but that's the other thing, the amount of yields are pointless for a couple of plants.

We'll see. I may do 1 or 2 just to have.

Problem last year is I did too many different types of Tomatoes. I need to consolidate and pick a couple instead. Nice to have when you harvest all different types but something tells me they fight with each other in there?

Too many favorites. Steak Sandwich Hybrid is an excellent one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My cherry tomatoes are producing like crazy. I had one for lunch, my husband had the rest, it as so sweet, unbelievable. Got to have home grown tomatoes.
First thing I do when I read posts is look at the location of the member. Was curious what area is producing cherry tomatoes like crazy but you don't have a location set under your member info top right.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:53 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,447,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

I also have had zero luck with broccoli, and brussel sprouts. My guess is when they like to grow the sun is not at it's highest for the garden location I have, unlike warm weather crops, that do exceptional there.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:50 AM

18,982 posts, read 8,946,363 times
@Cambrium, I'm in Southern Cal, north of San Diego, south of Los Angeles. I didn't plan this tomato, it came up as a volunteer, but it's in a bank and in the sunniest spot. It may have been there from last year. It's a huge plant, it could be two plants.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:52 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,613,992 times
Just three more months and I can start planting. Come on June 1st!

Old 02-20-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
@Cambrium, I'm in Southern Cal, north of San Diego, south of Los Angeles. I didn't plan this tomato, it came up as a volunteer, but it's in a bank and in the sunniest spot. It may have been there from last year. It's a huge plant, it could be two plants.
Thanks. CA climate Always amazes me on the ability to grow things even in winter. I saw some pics with trees with leaves on them. Crazy. That's what happens when you get a flow off the Ocean. Here I'm either in the Arctic or Warm. lol My max temp past 2 weeks has been in the teens, 50s, 30s, and today 50s again.

Anyway - I'll probably forget where you are. If you are active on the garden forum think about putting your location up there(general) this way we can relate to the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I also have had zero luck with broccoli, and brussel sprouts. My guess is when they like to grow the sun is not at it's highest for the garden location I have, unlike warm weather crops, that do exceptional there.

Yeah, no idea why. I thought maybe the soil itself but you may be right about the sun angle. If I had more room I'd probably try again but I rather use the space for something else.

Was on the roof looking at my plots today. Warm day. Notice the little patch of snow left. LOL

Here's how it looked last year beginning of March.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 2,401 times
Default Cardboard tubes and egg shells

Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
I have started saving the empty cardboard rolls, from TP and paper towels, to put around the transplants, to protect from cut worms. Any one else tried this?
That is such a good idea. Thank you for that post. I saved the cardboard rolls for a long time using them in craft projects but never thought about protecting my precious transplants.

I used the egg shells for a long time, but we don't eat as many eggs now. So my plants have been probably very calcium deficient in recent years. I plan to do a garden this year. It has been a long time, and I never was very successful. Anyone have any suggestions on some plants I can start over with. I need a good success rate this time. We eat just about anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or