U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 10:31 AM

45,808 posts, read 20,853,070 times

Advertisements

I went over to my raised beds in the community garden this morning. Every thing is looking really good. I am in the process of switching over from my winter garden to a spring and summer one. I set out three tomato plants this week....a Cherokee Purple, a Florida 61 (?) and a Patio tomato plant. My onions are looking good and I pulled some for scallions. I also pulled most of my turnips and had some for lunch, in a bowl of ramen noodles. I also harvested a small crop of green beans, and some parsley and some oregano. In a few days I am going to plant some okra. The two collard plants I set out are taking hold as are the peppers. My eggplants, which struggled a bit with the cold are suddenly looking like they are looking forward to warmer days .... they are bushing out and blooming and setting fruit. My spinach is also starting to grow.

I am not growing large crops of anything except perhaps onions.....and that was an accident. I have been eating a vegetarian diet for lent and so I enjoy having some fresh things from my own garden.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 11:22 AM

712 posts, read 999,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Home Depot will discount any bags of mulch or soil that have broken open. It could even be 50%.
Lowes too

Old 03-13-2016, 02:45 PM

6,472 posts, read 15,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
...I have been eating a vegetarian diet for lent and so I enjoy having some fresh things from my own garden.
This sounds nice. I can't wait until the garden gets going up here. My snow peas are still under the ground, but these are up:
curly kale in pot
bok choi
SPINACH!!

The pepper and eggplant that I'm starting inside are up, and sadly already leaning towards the light. I've decided to start them early this year in the hope of getting BIG yields finally, but we'll see. I still have more seeds in case I need to sow some in the ground.

I've sowed beets, swiss chard and (OMG I forgot, but I think it is Kohlrabi) in pots. None of these are up yet. It is a little early for them, but if it gets too cold, I'll move the pots inside. SO GLAD Spring is here.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
This sounds nice. I can't wait until the garden gets going up here. My snow peas are still under the ground, but these are up:
curly kale in pot
bok choi
SPINACH!!

The pepper and eggplant that I'm starting inside are up, and sadly already leaning towards the light. I've decided to start them early this year in the hope of getting BIG yields finally, but we'll see. I still have more seeds in case I need to sow some in the ground.

I've sowed beets, swiss chard and (OMG I forgot, but I think it is Kohlrabi) in pots. None of these are up yet. It is a little early for them, but if it gets too cold, I'll move the pots inside. SO GLAD Spring is here.
Good Luck Kinkytoes! It all sounds good! The kale adn spinach and bokchoi all like cold as do the things you seeded outside.

Happy Spring!

Old 03-17-2016, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,501 times
I'm working on a hugelkultur project has anybody heard of it? It's pretty cool and it doesn't need a lot of maintenance they say. Organic is the way to go!
hugelkultur raised garden beds in a nutshell

• grow a typical garden without irrigation or fertilization
  • has been demonstrated to work in deserts as well as backyards
  • use up rotting wood, twigs, branches and even whole trees that would otherwise go to the dump or be burned
  • it is pretty much nothing more than buried wood
  • can be flush with the ground, although raised garden beds are typically better
  • can start small, and be added to later
  • can always be small - although bigger is better
  • You can save the world from global warming by doing carbon sequestration in your own back yard!
  • perfect for places that have had trees blown over by storms
  • can help end world hunger
  • give a gift to your future self

Old 03-19-2016, 09:32 AM

77,800 posts, read 98,026,237 times
Quote:
curly kale in pot
bok choi
SPINACH!!

I noticed in the Burpee catalog they have bok choy. I know I can't start it until late summer here but I am thinking of giving it a try. I just love the stuff. It is good served so many ways.

I do think we will be about ready to plant outside, in our containers in about 2 weeks.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I noticed in the Burpee catalog they have bok choy. I know I can't start it until late summer here but I am thinking of giving it a try. I just love the stuff. It is good served so many ways.

I do think we will be about ready to plant outside, in our containers in about 2 weeks.
I dont know the difference but I found "pak choy" plants down here and it grew very very well....I only grew one plant because I didnt know about it.....next fall will plant more of that.

Right now I am growing an asian green that a friend gave me; it is doing very well and is an attractive plant. From what I saw on line it sounds interesting.
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edib...soi-plants.htm

Old 03-20-2016, 07:27 PM

6,472 posts, read 15,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita why can't you start it in early spring? The last time I grew toy choi, it only took about 30 days to come up. It is good, but they seem to bolt pretty quickly. I planted a ton last year all at the same time. I planted fewer this time.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:19 PM

I planted some okra today......a small sized okra from Burpee...suitable for container gardening. I had a limited amout of space but made room. I followed their advice and planted 3 or 4 seeds together....and spaced my plantings 12 inches apart; now I just have the will power to thin those down to one plant in each planting. I have a hard time doing the thinning...but it is important. I have never grown okra before adn am looking forward to it.

My three tomato plants are looking good so far.....knock wood. I am keeping my eye out for bugs. My gardening guru tells me that it is VERY difficult to grow tomatoes in SWFL unless I am willing to use a lot of fungasical sprays and my community garden host is big time into organic gardening.

I noticed that I have one little white egg plant starting to form. The name eggplant comes because the original fruit was egg shaped and white. That is what this little baby looks like......a sweet little vegetable egg. How nice for easter.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:38 AM

77,800 posts, read 98,026,237 times
Quote:
Nita why can't you start it in early spring? The last time I grew toy choi, it only took about 30 days to come up. It is good, but they seem to bolt pretty quickly. I planted a ton last year all at the same time. I planted fewer this time.
I don't know; according to Burpees catalog here it should be planted for fall harvesting and our local farmers market had it this past fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden