U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-02-2016, 12:52 PM
B87
 
Location: Surrey/London
11,786 posts, read 9,664,705 times
Reputation: 3077

Advertisements

Garlic and broad beans I planted last month. Just another week or 2 and I'll sow courgette, sweetcorn and runner beans.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 960$sx720$s.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 960$sx720$s.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2016, 03:02 PM
 
3,899 posts, read 2,901,859 times
Reputation: 8348
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I love reading about all your gardens. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes I wish I knew what zone you are in.

It's been in the mid 60's and 70's daytime for several weeks now, but we're predicted to hit 31 degrees one night next week, which means I'll have to bring pots inside. Luckily, so far, everything new is still in pots. Rhubarb is coming up in the garden -- I may have to cover that. Blackberries are growing nicely.

Planting lots of dill this year as a host plant for Monarch butterflies! (I'm sure they won't mind if I pick some for salads.)

Container gardener, Zone 7a...it had been so warm we kinda jumped the frost date, and planted potatoes, mixed greens, radish and carrot around St. Patrick's Day. Everything but the carrot came up, though we had to throw a tarp over the containers once or twice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 06:14 PM
 
Location: S.E. US
13,163 posts, read 964,710 times
Reputation: 5124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Container gardener, Zone 7a...it had been so warm we kinda jumped the frost date, and planted potatoes, mixed greens, radish and carrot around St. Patrick's Day. Everything but the carrot came up, though we had to throw a tarp over the containers once or twice.
Thanks!
Zone 7b here...I have portable cold frames to put over plants in the garden if needed (and they will be needed a couple of nights next week).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
934 posts, read 1,034,405 times
Reputation: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I love reading about all your gardens. Thanks for sharing. Sometimes I wish I knew what zone you are in.

It's been in the mid 60's and 70's daytime for several weeks now, but we're predicted to hit 31 degrees one night next week, which means I'll have to bring pots inside. Luckily, so far, everything new is still in pots. Rhubarb is coming up in the garden -- I may have to cover that. Blackberries are growing nicely.

Planting lots of dill this year as a host plant for Monarch butterflies! (I'm sure they won't mind if I pick some for salads.)
Dill is good for Monarchs? Good to know!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2016, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,800 posts, read 98,026,237 times
Reputation: 49119
big problem; have a question: for all those container gardeners: last year I purchased several plastic containers, some designed for container gardens. They are rotted and split. No, I didn't take them out of the elements because they are filled with dirt and too heavy to lift. Does anyone have suggestion? Some actually held up fine. They are the smaller ones. If I have to replace them every year container gardening will get pretty pricy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2016, 10:30 AM
 
3,899 posts, read 2,901,859 times
Reputation: 8348
I hear ya about hauling around heavy pots filled with dirt!

Duct tape where the pots had split? Duct tape now comes in colors, if that's a concern.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2016, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,800 posts, read 98,026,237 times
Reputation: 49119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I hear ya about hauling around heavy pots filled with dirt!

Duct tape where the pots had split? Duct tape now comes in colors, if that's a concern.
what a great idea and I could care less the color. Sure I would like my garden all pretty and looking like the pictures of Barfoot Contessa's garden, but that won't happen. Thanks again.

Just finished shoveling dirt from a couple of them into the wheel barrel and dumping the containers. Then I planted a bunch of flowers for the front yard. I bet my 79 year old body will be glad to find the bed tonight and the muscles will remind me, tomorrow morning I did something other than sit of my A@@ for a change.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2016, 12:05 PM
 
3,899 posts, read 2,901,859 times
Reputation: 8348
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what a great idea and I could care less the color. Sure I would like my garden all pretty and looking like the pictures of Barfoot Contessa's garden, but that won't happen. Thanks again.

Just finished shoveling dirt from a couple of them into the wheel barrel and dumping the containers. Then I planted a bunch of flowers for the front yard. I bet my 79 year old body will be glad to find the bed tonight and the muscles will remind me, tomorrow morning I did something other than sit of my A@@ for a change.
You're welcome. Hope it works!

So now I had to go look up the Barefoot Contessa's garden. Whoaaah...amazing!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2016, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Florida (SW)
45,808 posts, read 20,853,070 times
Reputation: 47020
Garden is looking good and giving me something for supper every night....(mostly the same somethings).....BUT today my Cherokee Purple Tomato vine, didnt look so good. It had several (more than a few) dead brown dry leaves on it. I worry because that is an heirloom species...and they have less resistance to diseases. The hybred tomatoes are looking good so far. My garden guru advises against trying tomatoes here except perhaps cherry tomatoes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2016, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
45,612 posts, read 56,921,271 times
Reputation: 82362
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Garden is looking good and giving me something for supper every night....(mostly the same somethings).....BUT today my Cherokee Purple Tomato vine, didnt look so good. It had several (more than a few) dead brown dry leaves on it. I worry because that is an heirloom species...and they have less resistance to diseases. The hybred tomatoes are looking good so far. My garden guru advises against trying tomatoes here except perhaps cherry tomatoes.
Elston, I have had very bad luck with tomatoes in zone 8, but this season I am trying two new tactics. One is moving a couple of plants to a new location, and two, I am using a new Bayer systemic for vegetables and fruits on all the vegetables. I am not sure if my issues are from bugs or diseases in the soil, but I am hoping this will give me a few healthy tomatoes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top