Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 08:03 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

well I finished planting the rest of my squash this morning and the table queen that I planted weeks ago is doing great . I cannot believe I have two rose beds all full of roses and a bed full of squash and 5 tomatoe plants in 5 gallon buckets and 4 cuke plants and another bed full of nastriums , California blue bells and bachelor buttons , marigolds , snapdragons ,and soon to be goldenrod , autum beauty sunflowers and several other kinds of sunflowers , dwarf clematis . I'm going to be surrounded in color this year and veggies hopefully and I will love it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 08:04 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Today I plan to get over to the garden and plant a Japanese Green (brassica japonica).....; since my family is half japanese...I like to order and grow Asian plants in my little garden. I get the seeds on line. Japanese Green, Hybrid Misome

My tomatoes are doing well.....this is their time here in my zone......so hope they grow and ripen up over the next three or four weeks.....then it will be almost time to pull them out and start another crop. I have some Japanese cucumbers (kuri) to try; I will need to provide them with stakes to get them off the ground so they can grow straight and have a chance to avoid any fungal infection.

I have a new seed...."winged beans" to try this year. The beans are the principal crop.....but "Mother Earth" says all parts of the plant are edible...leaves, stems, beans and even the roots. I will probably stick with the beans. Winged Bean
I like reading about the Asian plants you mention. The Japanese Green sounds interesting. I'd love to try it.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:49 AM

48,110 posts, read 21,992,097 times
The japanese cucumbers are "kyuri" not kuri as I spelled it. Kyuri (Cucumber) | Japanese Food Guide | Oksfood Japanese cukes are longer and thinner and have few seeds. Delicous

Old 04-14-2016, 01:30 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The japanese cucumbers are "kyuri" not kuri as I spelled it. Kyuri (Cucumber) | Japanese Food Guide | Oksfood Japanese cukes are longer and thinner and have few seeds. Delicous
Interesting.

Anyone ever try green Shiso or Myoga?

Old 04-14-2016, 05:23 PM

205 posts, read 272,325 times
We harvested a bunch of leaf lettuce today, the end of the radishes, and our first kale. My wife made goat cheese lemon pasta with kale. Oh boy was that good!

I'm putting the main garden in this weekend. Bring on the veggies!

Old 04-14-2016, 07:58 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Interesting.

Anyone ever try green Shiso or Myoga?

I have green Shiso growing in my garden right now. It is funny.....I planted seeds last September and nothing came up.....but this month I see lots of seedlings emerging. In Japan the red shiso is mostly used in making Umeboshi or pickled plums.....I have also had an alcoholic drink made by infusing shochu (liquor) with the red shiso.

I have seen myoga (a fresh ginger) in the stores in Japan.....I dont think I have ever had it.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:45 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,769 times
Well, I am going to try tomatoes yet again. Since I moved from inland (San Gabriel Valley, SoCalif) to the coast (San Diego), I have had no luck in growing tomatoes. I am told San Diego climate is just fine for tomatoes. I grew buckets of them in my old house in the valley. Now, with the condo, my plants are in pots/planters and either get hornworm infested immediatly or end up with mildew and yellow leaves. It is so frustrating and I really miss my homegrown tomatoes. I get fresh soil, seedling plants every time. Still fails. Suggestions?

Old 04-15-2016, 05:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
Well, I am going to try tomatoes yet again. Since I moved from inland (San Gabriel Valley, SoCalif) to the coast (San Diego), I have had no luck in growing tomatoes. I am told San Diego climate is just fine for tomatoes. I grew buckets of them in my old house in the valley. Now, with the condo, my plants are in pots/planters and either get hornworm infested immediatly or end up with mildew and yellow leaves. It is so frustrating and I really miss my homegrown tomatoes. I get fresh soil, seedling plants every time. Still fails. Suggestions?
Do your pots have holes so the water can drain out? For years I didn't realize how important the drainage was and had no luck with tomatoes. Now, I grow them in pots and containers. They are not as nice as what we grew in the ground but they do well and taste great. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I finished planting the rest of my squash this morning and the table queen that I planted weeks ago is doing great . I cannot believe I have two rose beds all full of roses and a bed full of squash and 5 tomatoe plants in 5 gallon buckets and 4 cuke plants and another bed full of nastriums , California blue bells and bachelor buttons , marigolds , snapdragons ,and soon to be goldenrod , autum beauty sunflowers and several other kinds of sunflowers , dwarf clematis . I'm going to be surrounded in color this year and veggies hopefully and I will love it .
Nastriums are one flower I can not get to grow. When we lived in Ca, as a kid, it seemed they were so easy, but I have tried and tried. Wish I could have better luck.

I did get everything in yesterday and now, simply have to make sure I can stake the cukes when they start to grow. I used the cages I had for the tomatoes, saved one for cukes and am making a trellis for the beans. If all goes well, in about 8 weeks we will be eating our produce. If not, Farmers market here I come.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:16 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
I looked at my garden spot, kicked some dirt around yesterday. Two feet of snow forecast for this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden