Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 09:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I looked at my garden spot, kicked some dirt around yesterday. Two feet of snow forecast for this weekend.
Holy cow, I keep telling you to move back to AR!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 10:03 AM

13,059 posts, read 7,491,199 times
We planted Fava beans last fall. They are now in bloom and 2 ft high. You can eat the greens. The beans/pods in about a month. PNW.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:33 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
We barely had winter this year in New England. Cold but hardly any ice or snow.

I took my seeds out of the fridge and planted my heirloom tomatoes, Black Cherry. This group identified the tomato for me last year when I didn't know what it was. I had bought one of the Early Boys/Girls so it was labelled wrong.

Anyway, I now have 3 black cherry tomato plants sprouting up on the sunny windowsill. It's still a little too cold at night to put them on the glassed in porch.

I got to work in the yard for the first time today and spread bonemeal, put a little plastic fence around the area because my dog was going "BONEmeal????" and did some basic cutting and raking. Spread a bit of compost from the bin too. The soil is READY for planting--it's all warmed up and I can put the beets in any time now.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:31 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
Well, I am going to try tomatoes yet again. Since I moved from inland (San Gabriel Valley, SoCalif) to the coast (San Diego), I have had no luck in growing tomatoes. I am told San Diego climate is just fine for tomatoes. I grew buckets of them in my old house in the valley. Now, with the condo, my plants are in pots/planters and either get hornworm infested immediatly or end up with mildew and yellow leaves. It is so frustrating and I really miss my homegrown tomatoes. I get fresh soil, seedling plants every time. Still fails. Suggestions?
well since you asked grow basil inside the pot with them bugs haTE BASIL ....

Old 04-15-2016, 05:48 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
Well, I am going to try tomatoes yet again. Since I moved from inland (San Gabriel Valley, SoCalif) to the coast (San Diego), I have had no luck in growing tomatoes. I am told San Diego climate is just fine for tomatoes. I grew buckets of them in my old house in the valley. Now, with the condo, my plants are in pots/planters and either get hornworm infested immediatly or end up with mildew and yellow leaves. It is so frustrating and I really miss my homegrown tomatoes. I get fresh soil, seedling plants every time. Still fails. Suggestions?
I am sure you want nice slicing tomatoes...but if you are having trouble....try the cherry tomatoes. They are much easier to grow and more resistant to tomato problems.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am sure you want nice slicing tomatoes...but if you are having trouble....try the cherry tomatoes. They are much easier to grow and more resistant to tomato problems.
There have been a few years that cherry tomatoes have produced so well I could not get rid of them. We canned them, ate them on everything, a couple time a day, gave them away and finally, come late Oct we just pulled them out and tossed them. Yes, usually they grow very well.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:55 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well since you asked grow basil inside the pot with them bugs haTE BASIL ....
Great tip! thanks.

Is it true that marigolds planted around the garden also keep out pests?

Old 04-16-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Great tip! thanks.

apparently yes, but believe it or not, I have trouble keep marigolds alive. Please don't ask why, cause I have no idea!!!

Old 04-16-2016, 11:23 AM

48,110 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Great tip! thanks.

I know everyone says that....and the marigolds smell so rank....I thought it might be true.....BUT....when I planted marigolds around my plants (as my father before me did).....I noticed the bugs in my garden seemed to really like the marigolds.....so maybe instead of being a bug repellent.....they attract the bugs to them and give the veggies a break. bait and switch tactic.
I am going to google it to see what the all knowing oracle of online wisdom says.

More info......there is a lot about marigolds in the garden http://homeguides.sfgate.com/marigol...ion-35309.html apparently they are especially good around tomaotes and cabbage family plants......repelling or confusing the bugs. Bugs find their food by sent and the odor of the marigolds serves to camaflauge the vegetabes. Who knew.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:04 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times

Potatoes starting to emerge.

Preparing the ground for sowing courgette seeds next weekend. The plant pots are to help with watering, as the surface soil will dry out soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden