Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 03:05 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I checked my tomatoes yesterday.....several are good size and two are beginning to color. I moved my "cubano" (cuban oregano) to a more sunny location....as it had been totally covered by pineapple sage plant that "wants it all" at least space wise.

I really dont use the pineapple sage...but it is a truly beauriful plant and the bees love it and everyone who passes by comments on how pretty it is. For those reasons alone.....it is worth the space. Especially since I planted it in a "demonstration bed" not one of the ones I rented. I dont know how it will fare once summer sets in.....right now it is impressive.
It is pretty. Have you used it in the kitchen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 04:15 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It is pretty. Have you used it in the kitchen?

It does smell a lot like pineapple....I put some inside a chicken I was going to roast; I wasnt crazy about the result...not bad but it got overwhelmed in the cooking. I think it would be better cut up fine and put on a fruit salad...or as a beautiful garnish to a fruit salad.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:51 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
sorry don't know why pics are crooked everytime from my cell phone . glad I am getting a new one soon have to save some dollars first though .
If you're holding your cell phone level and facing up or down (horizontal) it doesn't know which way to orient itself. Try keeping it somewhat vertical when taking photos. (not looking straight down or straight up)

Old 04-30-2016, 04:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
tomorrow I am planting the last of the season except for a few front yard flowers: I have a Rosemary plant I purchased 2 weeks ago, still in its little pot and doing fine, but if I don't get in a larger pot it will not survive much longer. The rain will be over later today. the tomato plants are doing well and growing but no blossoms yet.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:01 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
I have mint (to keep the bees awa) and its doing well. I started tomatoes and strawberries in pots on the front porch. those will be transplanted later.

We took up the bushes in the side yard for the garden but we need to kill some grass and till it.

For veggies I have:
Tomatoes
Potatoes
Red cabbage
Lettuce
carrots
onions
bell peppers
bush cucumbers
celery
broccoli
radishes
strawberries

I think thats all but i need to get them in the ground soon!!

Old 05-01-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I have mint (to keep the bees awa) and its doing well. I started tomatoes and strawberries in pots on the front porch. those will be transplanted later.

We took up the bushes in the side yard for the garden but we need to kill some grass and till it.

For veggies I have:
Tomatoes
Potatoes
Red cabbage
Lettuce
carrots
onions
bell peppers
bush cucumbers
celery
broccoli
radishes
strawberries

I think thats all but i need to get them in the ground soon!!

Ah....in Ohio you can have a real garden and dont have to rely on Cuba, Mexico and the Carrbbian Islands and SE Asia for crops that can take the heat.

Good Luck.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:22 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
I just harvested some garlic bulbs. I found 3 seedlings from tomato seeds that I sow sprouted. Lots of blueberries and strawberries. No pepper seeds sprouted, what a shame.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:21 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Latest from the allotment in London, UK.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:37 AM

I dont recognize your crops B87....what are you growing? What is an allotment? Is that a garden plot?

Old 05-10-2016, 02:40 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I dont recognize your crops B87....what are you growing? What is an allotment? Is that a garden plot?
First pic is Portuguese cabbage, pics 2-3 are broad beans, pic 4 is globe artichoke (looks like a giant thistle when fully grown) I also have garlic, potatoes, carrots, fennel, courgette/zucchini, and runner beans. Next and last to go in will be sweetcorn.

Tomatoes don't like the soil here, so they have to be grown in pots or a grow bag.

An allotment is unused land owned by the council that is set aside for people to grow stuff (eg if they live in an apartment and don't have a garden). They are usually about 5-8m wide and 20m long.

They were originally set up during WW2 so the population could sustain itself without food imports (which could be intercepted and destroyed), but the idea stuck.

Here's a pic I took over the weekend of a typical allotment, though this one is quite a bit larger than the allotments where my plot is.

Last edited by B87; 05-10-2016 at 03:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden