Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 01:58 PM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I only planted one indeterminate cherry tomato this year. It's in a 5 gallon bucket on my deck. I noticed yesterday that it had finally set fruit--5 tiny tomatoes! I just went out to see if anything needed any water, and found the stem broken off about 6 inches above the soil. Bummer. I have no idea how it happened. There was no storm, no branches on the deck. Maybe it was an animal?

I watered the pots and left the plant piece, over 2 feet long, on the deck railing. Sigh. It took me about half an hour to think, "Wait a minute, it's a tomato. It's almost a weed." As luck would have it, I had a 3 gallon pot full of soil which I was going to use for herbs. I hurried outside, cut off some branches, planted it as deeply as the pot would allow, and watered it well. The patient is resting comfortably in dappled sunlight. By late afternoon, I'll have figured out where I can leave it for the next week or so to see if it will grow.

I lost the little tomatoes, but I may have gained another plant.
Let us know how it turns out......I do know that the stem of a tomato can strike lots of roots when you plant the original plant very very deeply......with any luck I think it will work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 02:06 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
I only planted one indeterminate cherry tomato this year. It's in a 5 gallon bucket on my deck. I noticed yesterday that it had finally set fruit--5 tiny tomatoes! I just went out to see if anything needed any water, and found the stem broken off about 6 inches above the soil. Bummer. I have no idea how it happened. There was no storm, no branches on the deck. Maybe it was an animal?

I watered the pots and left the plant piece, over 2 feet long, on the deck railing. Sigh. It took me about half an hour to think, "Wait a minute, it's a tomato. It's almost a weed." As luck would have it, I had a 3 gallon pot full of soil which I was going to use for herbs. I hurried outside, cut off some branches, planted it as deeply as the pot would allow, and watered it well. The patient is resting comfortably in dappled sunlight. By late afternoon, I'll have figured out where I can leave it for the next week or so to see if it will grow.

Oh, I hope it will grow. So sorry that you lost your baby tomatoes though.

I would think that as long as you cut it at a growth node and planted it, kept it damp and kept it in semi shade until it gets stronger...that it will GROW! Please let us know.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:06 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Here's our container garden so far. We picked up a hanging strawberry plant at a farm market, and turned it into two. Not seen: a Mr. Stripy tomato, a Black Prince, and a Husky Cherry (they're way over on a fence, 'cause they're indeterminates)

Strawberry Fields?

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Earthbox Band?

Zone 7A!
Black Prince is my favorite tomato. And, they are getting bigger and riper.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:40 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:

sounds like you had a visit from the dreaded cut worm they will slice a tomatoe plant in half in a matter of minutes . Just tie it up to a bamboo pole (you can get them at home depot or lowes ) with a piece of panty hose and you will just fine good luck to you and the lil plant

Old 06-20-2016, 09:07 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
sounds like you had a visit from the dreaded cut worm they will slice a tomatoe plant in half in a matter of minutes . Just tie it up to a bamboo pole (you can get them at home depot or lowes ) with a piece of panty hose and you will just fine good luck to you and the lil plant
I didnt know ladies wore panty hose anymore. lol

Old 06-20-2016, 10:22 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
oh yes we have plenty of ladies who wear panty hose to church and etc . some companies still require them in the workplace or so my daughters tell me .

Old 06-21-2016, 04:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
yep and they are great for tying up those plants. Heck, we have wear stockings sometimes, especially in the winter.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I am so excited: daughter has counted over 100 tomatoes, her first year to garden, granddaughter has about 30: her first year as well. They depended on me for help and guess what? I had none: then yesterday went out of water and there they were: all 4 of them. OK, so they are the size of my baby finger nail, at least they are tomatoes. I am telling myself they are just late bloomers and I will have lots in the fall.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:21 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Last night I noticed the first baby zucchini and my first tiny tomato on one of my 7 tomato plants. Otherwise I have used already oregano,chive,mint,curley parsley and cilantro.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:06 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Last night I noticed the first baby zucchini and my first tiny tomato on one of my 7 tomato plants. Otherwise I have used already oregano,chive,mint,curley parsley and cilantro.
You're in Canada and you've got a tiny tomato already? That's wonderful.

It's finally turned hot here after weeks of 50 degrees and my tomatoes have flowers! The only other things I have are parsley, which is doing better now that it's outside, and beets, that are small but coming along nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden