Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 04:09 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to LA View Post
We just planted ten in a new raised bed. I have no idea if we have the nematode problem, what should we watch out for? Ours are still seedlings with no true leaves yet. Can't wait for it to grow and enjoy the 100 degrees heat we currently have
If plants stop growing or grow slowly then pull on that is crowding say another one and examine the roots. Nematodes are very tiny tiny worms. I believe them to be a type of parasite. Not sure. Check wiki for quick info or to a State Ag university for real detail info. I just know from living with them for years on sandy FL acreage that was in citrus that all had to be destroyed and a new grove with a nematode resistant root stock planted. Tomatoes marked as VFN resistant are V wilt and F wilt and nematode resistant. Cow peas, green beans and okra just don't like nematodes. I don't know what a person needs to see or test for them. County extension offices would know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 11:51 AM

392 posts, read 755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
If plants stop growing or grow slowly then pull on that is crowding say another one and examine the roots. Nematodes are very tiny tiny worms. I believe them to be a type of parasite. Not sure. Check wiki for quick info or to a State Ag university for real detail info. I just know from living with them for years on sandy FL acreage that was in citrus that all had to be destroyed and a new grove with a nematode resistant root stock planted. Tomatoes marked as VFN resistant are V wilt and F wilt and nematode resistant. Cow peas, green beans and okra just don't like nematodes. I don't know what a person needs to see or test for them. County extension offices would know that.

Our soil is mostly clay so I think we are dealing with different soils and hopefully we won't have the same problem. Do you sow the seeds directly into the ground?

Old 07-09-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to LA View Post
Our soil is mostly clay so I think we are dealing with different soils and hopefully we won't have the same problem. Do you sow the seeds directly into the ground?
Yes. I tried a transplant method last year and it is not the way to go. Sow a row rather thickly and thin to the best looking plants about 8-12 inches apart. To get more than soup flavoring 50 or more plants. We use a lot of it fried. The only thing we fry at home now. Cut every day at the right size until enough for your purpose. Refrigerate after cutting. 3-3.5 inches is the most high grade and volume size IMHO. Clay soils have their own species of nematodes. Black clay dirt in Indiana strawberry fields have them.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:06 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
I meant to post these pics sooner. DD has a neighbor using an unused lot for a garden. These were taken maybe 3 months ago or so. This was well before the real summer heat arrived. Carrots, celery, squash, onion, dill not sure what else...

fresh eggs as well...

Old 07-09-2016, 04:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I meant to post these pics sooner. DD has a neighbor using an unused lot for a garden. These were taken maybe 3 months ago or so. This was well before the real summer heat arrived. Carrots, celery, squash, onion, dill not sure what else...

fresh eggs as well...
wow, looks great.

I am so excited: I finally picked one little cherry tomato. OK, so it was just one, but at least it was better than none and the tomato plants I was about to pull out now have little babies. Not many, but at least something. I do know one thing for sure. I have my plants way to crowded. Next year will be different. It takes awhile to learn.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, looks great.

I am so excited: I finally picked one little cherry tomato. OK, so it was just one, but at least it was better than none and the tomato plants I was about to pull out now have little babies. Not many, but at least something. I do know one thing for sure. I have my plants way to crowded. Next year will be different. It takes awhile to learn.
Thanks! Seems like I grew cherry tomatoes along with Rutger, Romas and I forget what others several years ago. Cukes too, but all in pots. Just no good area in my yard to plant. Had pretty good luck with tomato production but the cukes started out great then declined. Apparently they all need much more feeding than I gave them. Radishes grew quickly but just collapse after picking. It may have been too hot for much of what i tried growing. I've since learned black pots must be painted a light color.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:14 PM

I saw dill in that photo for the pickles. I'm in a pickle. It's been 88 in the house since last night. Going to Lowes to get another fan. The outside unit will not run.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I saw dill in that photo for the pickles. I'm in a pickle. It's been 88 in the house since last night. Going to Lowes to get another fan. The outside unit will not run.
I got a dill seed head or two and have a little pot of dill going myself. (Our local grocer has 5,000 btu units for $61.00)

Old 07-09-2016, 07:08 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Blossom end rot is caused by yo yo moisture in the soil and lack of calcium from what I remember. Most state ag colleges have a ton of information on such. The tomato starts to turn as in ripening early just on the blossom end and then rots. One summer it was wet and we hardly got enough to can for ourselves. It is easier to water a little than try to dry them out. Sudden heavy rains will cause lots of damage to multiple vegetable crops. Thirsty plants over drink and burst. Even citrus on the trees. Cabbage and tomatoes are some of the worst to split from my experience.
We procrastinated and put our tomato plants out too late. The Oklahoma summer heat is baking them to death right when they started bearing. We have lost half to bottom rot. We have had downpours the past couple of weeks followed by temps in the mid-90s.

Also, we have never had luck growing them in pots. But these days, I am just not up to tilling the ground.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Thanks! Seems like I grew cherry tomatoes along with Rutger, Romas and I forget what others several years ago. Cukes too, but all in pots. Just no good area in my yard to plant. Had pretty good luck with tomato production but the cukes started out great then declined. Apparently they all need much more feeding than I gave them. Radishes grew quickly but just collapse after picking. It may have been too hot for much of what i tried growing. I've since learned black pots must be painted a light color.
Well, that is interesting: I planted a tomato plant not long ago in an old black canning pot I had: now it is almost dead. We learn something everyday. I am happy with my tomatoes. Everyday I find about 10 more babies. They sure are slow to ripen, but at least they are out there. Today I found 3 little serrano peppers and a couple tiny okras. I only planted a couple of okra plants. We get it so cheap at the farmers market it almost isn't worth planting. My cukes are just plain sick this year and my cantaloupe plants look great but no fruit; the same with the squash and we do have bees. I don't know what to think.

Redbird: I don't think container gardening is as good as in the ground, but like you, tilling and bending has just gotten to hard, plus container gardening does not have the weeds like in ground. Yes, we have some, but nothing like what we had in the ground. This is my second year going the container route; it is better than last, but still lots of room for improvement. One thing I have to learn is: no not crowd the containers.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-13-2016 at 01:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden