Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 03:17 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,447,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Not sure this belongs to All Vegetable Gardening thread (unless we can call fruits a "vegetable" )

I am harvesting my Asian pears now. Unlike the European pears, they can be eaten while hart, taste crunchy like an apple.

This particular one is called "Olympic" or commonly called "Korean Giant" for good reason.
Wow those look GOOD! I love Asian pears. The fruit I'm getting now is FIGS! Thank you Big box for the fab Chicago hardy. I have pictures of when the tree was just a stick that my chickens had almost scratched to death. Now it is like 10 feet tall. I've gotten lots of RIPE (this is key) figs this year. They are covered by ants , but taste good.

The pawpaws also gave me about 6 fruit this year. I'm pretty sure that is my record LOL and I have hmm maybe 9 or so trees... Some of them are suckering finally as well, which is nice. Very lovely tree. As far as the vegetables go, I got a late start this year, but am finally getting food.

Here is the rundown:
Russian red kale - skeletonized by caterpillars
Eggplant - One so far, one on the way. bump er crop I may have to do what I did this year with the peppers and plant a TON of plants next year. I just have 5.
Tomatoes - going like gangbusters. Loving Patio Princess. Thanks Burpee! The cherokee purple are ugly, but these are pretty tasty.
Peppers - LOVE peppers and I planted a TON (ok 10) of them, and assorted varieties. The more the merrier, I'm getting yummy different peppers every day. The black one is really prolific and cool looking. I'm also loving this light yellow one with purple markings at the stem end.
Okra - Love them as usual. I planted some green type instead of my usual purple. The purple is prettier, but the yields are good regardless.
Pole Beans - Kentucky wonder is giving TONS of beans now. Sadly they seem to get stringy and hard faster than the purple ones.
Lima Beans - These are OK. Apparently I got some bush type bean. They have rust and just have a few pods on them. TONS of flowers, but not nearly enough lima beans for all the fertilizer and hand watering I've lavished on these things.
Squash - Pulled up the zukes on my bush type plants. There is ONE butternut still out there on the what 5 plants I put in? I'm babying that sucker. It had better be the best butternut squash ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 08:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,041,362 times
We are down to a few cherry tomatoes, a few Arkansas traveler tomatoes and the damn okra. It just won't stop growing. No wonder people in the south like their okra, it is one thing that will grow almost anywhere.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:01 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,805,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We are down to a few cherry tomatoes, a few Arkansas traveler tomatoes and the damn okra. It just won't stop growing. No wonder people in the south like their okra, it is one thing that will grow almost anywhere.
I can leave an UPS prepaid shipping for extra okra. Be a pity for it to go to waste.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:15 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,376,424 times
Harvested 30 jalapeños the other day. Made some salsa with store bought Roma tomatoes, I didn't grow tomatoes this year but next year I think I'll give Roma a try, I've become a fan.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:28 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,447,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I can leave an UPS prepaid shipping for extra okra. Be a pity for it to go to waste.
Mmm okra

Old 09-24-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
well you are a bit too late: we now really only have about 1/2 dozen left and I found a great way to fix them the other night: Now I really like the stuff: All I did was sautee them with a few new potatoes, onions and cherry tomatoes in some bacon grease. Ok, not healthy or low fat, but I used very little. I also added a little Cajun seasoning.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:21 AM

I just went to the to pick a few ripe tomatoes; to my dismay and disappointment one side of them were mushy and rotten. I decided to pick a few green ones, just starting to ripen. Guess what I found on them? Squash bugs. I don't know if they do damage to tomatoes like they do to squash plants but I decided, until I could find out the problem to pick some of the green ones that are barely beginning to show signs of ripening. Now, I have to try and find out what is causing my tomatoes to rot.

It doesn't appear from what I am reading, the tomato problem has anything to do with the squash bugs. Now, I just have to find a way to kill them off and keep them under control next year. I think I am going to put something on the dirt, I don't know what, then I am going to use the soap and water method to try and control them and finish by using seven, regardless of it not being organic.

Last edited by nmnita; 09-24-2016 at 10:49 AM..

Old 09-24-2016, 11:11 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,805,032 times
Quote:
well you are a bit too late: we now really only have about 1/2 dozen left and I found a great way to fix them the other night: Now I really like the stuff: All I did was sautee them with a few new potatoes, onions and cherry tomatoes in some bacon grease. Ok, not healthy or low fat, but I used very little. I also added a little Cajun seasoning.
My wife just snagged a recipe for using homegrown okra in cornbread. Add jalapeño to mine. So the buckets next season will have one jalapeño plant and okra plant.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
My wife just snagged a recipe for using homegrown okra in cornbread. Add jalapeño to mine. So the buckets next season will have one jalapeño plant and okra plant.
and okra is so easy to grow.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:12 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,437,472 times
Quote:
and okra is so easy to grow.
I grew them this year and you are correct. It has been my biggest harvest and i planted ma maybe 12 of them.

Anyway,

Can anyone identify this bug on my squash plant? This is from my second garden planted the first week of August and I'm trying so hard to save what was a mediocre season with this last ditch effort. I want to make sure this bug isn't going to harm my plants. I'm already dealing with powdery mildew.
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-img_0006-1-.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden