Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 04:23 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,654,191 times

Advertisements

Just put in my first set of tomatoes. I have not started on my seeds yet but I did order some melon seeds from Burpee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 10:59 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
We have a beautiful morning here, about 60 plus degrees and lots of sunshine. I took the opportunity to do a little prep work for the planting season. We took some of the containers our of the shed, I read the directions on the cloth garden bed I purchased at the end of the season, I even rearranged my indoor, sun room plants. I think tomorrow I will do a little more. Oh, we also put together a new bird bath and I filled our bird feeders. That could be a daily chore it I let it. I want to start planting so badly. Checking the weather for the rest of the month, it looks like no tempt below 45 and certainly no threat of anything severe, but I know what could happen and will have to hold off until we get back from our vacation in early April.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:45 PM

I planted 6 tomato plants, 7 squashes, 1 cucumber. I also harvested tons of turmeric, I planted them 2 years ago because of the pretty pink flowers but somehow I have seen anything. It turns out there are turmeric bulbs out there. Lots of work to separate them from the clay but at least it's organic. I will buy organize ginger to do the same.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:52 AM

83,282 posts, read 74,503,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
6-7 more weeks until first plantings in the gardens. Next step is to get a tractor in to turn this area over with some leveling where depressions left from tree removal in the past. Getting antsy to get something in the ground. Have about 20 fruit trees to get on order. Seed already on order. Seed are from mostly old favorites with a few newer varieties of sweet corn. Heavy rains today holding up the soil prep..... Soil here is a lite clay. I know there will be some rocks to gather before building the raised rows. I plant on ridges so the plants root zone will not stand in water after heavy rains. We also need to order asparagus roots and sweet potato and strawberry plants. Some much for retirement...

Looks like a nice sunny spot! Also can have a decent sized bed there. If first time turning soil over you might be surprised how many rocks you'll pull out. Do you plan on testing the soil to see how fertile or good the PH and stuff is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We have a beautiful morning here, about 60 plus degrees and lots of sunshine.
11° here this morning. The itch starts this time of year but the reminder sets in that its too early to do anything outside . lol Check out the 6am temps this morning in Northeast and what it feels like.

By the way, Boston didn't pass 21° yesterday which is the coldest max temp since 1967 there. . Normal max is 41°

Old 03-05-2017, 05:58 AM

Speaking of itch.... I'm not doing a thread or a garden this year but I am doing a couple of things and I am testing 2 different seed starting soils out again.

Same variety seeds planted. One in MG Seed Starting Soil on left, and Jiffy seed starting soil on right. Bell Pepper, Hot Pepper and Tomatoes.

Lets see which does better.

This is where I have them for now. Nice and toasty by the fire. I have to setup my rack and lights within 10 days when they start popping up

Old 03-05-2017, 01:44 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Speaking of itch.... I'm not doing a thread or a garden this year but I am doing a couple of things and I am testing 2 different seed starting soils out again.

Same variety seeds planted. One in MG Seed Starting Soil on left, and Jiffy seed starting soil on right. Bell Pepper, Hot Pepper and Tomatoes.

This is where I have them for now. Nice and toasty by the fire. I have to setup my rack and lights within 10 days when they start popping up

Used the same container that you did: all my tomatoes, basel and celantro have sprouted. I am not going to get too excited though; I have never been able to get cillarnto to grow.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:54 PM

Cilantro grow like weed here, I just don't eat them as. Ucb. I eat parsley and I can't grow parsley.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:33 PM

49,972 posts, read 63,287,500 times
Today I planted herbs...curly and Italian parsley, basil, English and German thyme, and sage. I already have rosemary and oregano from last year. My assorted beet seeds have sprouted. Not sure what else I will try this year...maybe nothing.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:06 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,194,474 times
Quote:
Looks like a nice sunny spot! Also can have a decent sized bed there. If first time turning soil over you might be surprised how many rocks you'll pull out. Do you plan on testing the soil to see how fertile or good the PH and stuff is?
You are right about the rocks. I have a service coming in as soon as the soil is dry enough with a rock plow to help get them on top for removal. Then I want him to build ridges to plant on. I will do my on testing on a row by row basis. What is good for Kentucky Wonder pole beans and other legumes is not good enough for sweet corn. In a previous life I learned a lot about soil sampling as well as nutrient requirements for different crops working for a plant food manufacturer. I found a kit for complete lab analysis. At least I hope it does secondary and minor elements. Anemic plants I believe are more susceptible to both disease and crop failure. Minor elements play a roll in plants just like they do in our human bodies. I may have the county lab do the secondary and minor elements testing as those should be near the same across the area. The major 3, nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium really need to be used according to individual plant types. To much is as bad as not enough 100% of the time. Meanwhile my anxiety to see seed sprout is at fever pitch. Leaving for a day road trip today but when I return I will see if I can find an old garden photo that is pushing me on. If found I'll post it.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:

In 4 days I see something (bottom right). Rapunzel Tomato. Only 1. Another one started to pop.

Jiffy continuing to impress me. Might do away with MG soon at this rate. Last year tests as well.

Steady temp between 70-72 only. Humidity above 80%

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden