U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 08:43 AM

1,089 posts, read 749,677 times

Advertisements

How do you keep bats from invading the lettuce? 😉

Mae
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 03:21 PM

77,786 posts, read 99,099,909 times
so sad: just got home from a 9 day trip and all my tomato plants had to be burried. I said a prayer for them and kissed them good bye. The squash and Okra did fine. I guess we had a lot of strong winds and the little guys were just not strong enough to stand the pressure. Poor guys.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:47 PM

12,719 posts, read 15,738,042 times
Was at a local retail mega mart today and saw a guy and his wife buying about $100 of tomato plants. Hope they have a green house. Anyway, I planted some pansies today in hanging pots and some planter things. Sure brightens things up, and they should be fine in these 30 degree nights.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:13 AM

80,565 posts, read 68,653,038 times
Can you tell which one I chopped the top off???? Only been 10 days but an amazing result. Peppers were not worth topping off but Tomatoes are proving this is the key. Stem much thicker and new growth everywhere. Impressed

Started them 2 weeks too early. They are outgrowing the space I have under the indoor grow lights. I just have them outside for this picture. Not hardening off for another 2 weeks.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:51 AM

14,785 posts, read 22,769,418 times
those look good cam I had to go buy some more tomatoes . I got two black princes , one mr stripey , one yellow pear and will have a mortgage lifter and a gardeners delight going in soon . I figure if all of those make it we will have tomatoes coming out our ears LOL.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:45 AM

259,024 posts, read 87,077,360 times
A work in progress. Much more to follow. The dying oak tree comes out Tuesday weather permitting. The shorter row area is about 100' deep.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:52 AM

80,565 posts, read 68,653,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
those look good cam I had to go buy some more tomatoes . I got two black princes , one mr stripey , one yellow pear and will have a mortgage lifter and a gardeners delight going in soon . I figure if all of those make it we will have tomatoes coming out our ears LOL.

Never heard of those varieties. Always good to have more than you need. Just in case a plant doesn't produce or just to give away to friends and family. Or to can them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
A work in progress. Much more to follow. The dying oak tree comes out Tuesday weather permitting.
Sweet. Looking good! Nice size and layout. Any worries about wildlife there?

The oak looks like it has tiny buds on it, maybe its not dead? Looks like a cool spot where you can put a table there and work under the shade.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Never heard of those varieties. Always good to have more than you need. Just in case a plant doesn't produce or just to give away to friends and family. Or to can them.

Sweet. Looking good! Nice size and layout. Any worries about wildlife there?

The oak looks like it has tiny buds on it, maybe its not dead? Looks like a cool spot where you can put a table there and work under the shade.
The base of the oak is rotting and carpenter ants going and coming. To close to the house to take chances.
Wildlife has a problem. Me and my soon to be electric fence..... Lots of new construction going on behind this area and around it. Deer have moved out as far as I know. None have been seen this year. Only wildlife seen have been a few squirrels. Two hot wires down low will stop them. More wires 5" apart will turn the coons, skunks, and possums around. Here we are well inside the city limits and ribbons of woods is home to a lot of wildlife. Even deer wander in. Never had a problem using this method in years past. Birds will plan on feeding on the cherries coming in later in the week but there again bird netting will deter that problem. Have a plan to deter birds in the strawberry patch... We shall see.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:13 PM

77,786 posts, read 99,099,909 times
well Sat I got some okra seeds in, planted a basil and a dill plant and got the rest of the veggie garden ready for planting but today was too wet. I will have to wait until next Saturday. My wonderful granddaughter ave me 10 tomato plants yesterday. They are really ready to go into the containers.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:46 AM

The rain needs to ease up. 200 asparagus roots due in tomorrow. 100 strawberry plants due in Thursday along with all the other berries and trees. Some how some way the potatoes are going in today. Lima beans and zipper cream peas can wait till later in may.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden