Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 10:54 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well I was really excited when I went out to the garden a few minutes ago and say 4 tomato blossoms, but you sorta took the wind out of my sails. My green beans, on the other hand are doing great and it looks like I will have more okra than we can even begin to use.

Take care of your wonderful garden.
Nah, anyone who plants a single plant to see it grow will never have the wind out of their sails. I haven't got okra planted yet. Still to wet in its place. Maybe in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 04:35 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
The need for enough for 100 pints in one day is the goal. One day of canning for chili year round. The type of plant will ripen many tomatoes in a day. Then only the best go in the jars. That's the reasoning. Every tomato is not a keeper. Imperfects made into sauce or ketchup.
Oh okay now I understand boy do I feel like going and sitting in a corner and hanging my head in shame LOL ...thank you for explaining .

Old 06-08-2017, 05:11 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Jetstars are very smooth and large. 12-16 oz each. No cracking on shoulders. Disease resistant. Used to plant from 500 to 3500 plants every summer. Now just a few pots. There are determinate tomatoes designed for canning that will almost all ripen together. 25 of those would make a lot of pint jars. Google San Marzano and you will see them as a fancy Italian canned tomato. Now there are San Marzano Improved. For soups and gravies we canned Jetstars too as well as cooking down for ketchup. San Marzanos are a first time try. Not sure what to expect here on this mountain plateau in Tennessee as it can be quite different from NW Missouri. Jetstars will grow 5-6' tall if properly staked and trellised. Peak season they can produce 40 lbs daily from a 100 plants. Flavor is very good. This year I bought a few Brandywines too. Will see. Lima beans should be up by tomorrow or Thursday.

Next year I want 100 of these for market and home canning.
Good stuff. Thanks!

3500 plants??? Typo? Are you a farm? My Grandfather had 600 Tomato plants in his backyard garden so I know under 1000 is doable but 3500? Wow!

Brandywine is awesome too. Nice flavor, juicy, good size. I thought I had posted a picture of it. Didn't. Just have this of "Brandy Boy"

I will definitely put Jet Stars on the list for next year. I'm in the mood for canning already and Summer just started. lol I guess the crispy 52° here this morning again is getting me in the mood.. Top 10 coldest starts to June. Good luck on your growing season, looking forward to the posts.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:18 AM

Smile Their coming, their coming, the Limas are coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Oh okay now I understand boy do I feel like going and sitting in a corner and hanging my head in shame LOL ...thank you for explaining .
Never shame. Everyone starts somewhere. Only shame comes for those who blog who never got their hands dirty....

From the June 2nd planting of Lima beans and zipper cream peas a couple of photos now 6 days later. Beets and Kohlrabi are to small to show standing up and I'm not bending over right now.

Limas, I've waited now for 33 years to see this. Fresh green home shelled lima beans are my favorite vegetable.

Zipper Cream peas, a late aunt called them Sunday peas. Sunday dinner was just not complete without them.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:21 AM

If there is an interest in the main ways to prune vining or indeterminate tomatoes I'll post before, during, and after pruning some. There are multiple ways and what suits one variety is not always the best for others. Tomatoes are bread for more traits than the fruit itself. From botany it is a fruit. From a crazy court it became classified as a veggie.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Limas, I've waited now for 33 years to see this. Fresh green home shelled lima beans are my favorite vegetable.
Did the ground take that long to warm up?
Nice, congrats on the sprouts. Enjoy.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:41 PM

My 76yr old Italian neighbor's garden today. With lack of sun here I'm surprised some stuff looks healthy. (Cool weather stuff) Everything else is struggling which you may not see in this picture. Only 15 hours of sun in last 6 days. 60 hrs in about 3 weeks. Tomatoes and Peppers hurting Bigly.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:42 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
My 76yr old Italian neighbor's garden today. With lack of sun here I'm surprised some stuff looks healthy. (Cool weather stuff) Everything else is struggling which you may not see in this picture. Only 15 hours of sun in last 6 days. 60 hrs in about 3 weeks. Tomatoes and Peppers hurting Bigly.

Is he using limbs off his trees for staking his tomatoes ? wow that is awesome if he is . I also go to the dollar store and buy 1.00 pairs of panty hose to tie my tomatoe up with . panty hose expand when the stem expands and it does not cut into the stem of the tomatoe plant .

Old 06-09-2017, 11:11 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
I noticed my squash and pumpkins has blossoms this morning. Everything is growing nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden