Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 06:25 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Why is that?
Because I suck at it. You need bottom heat, sufficient light etc. My indoor plants are always a chore to keep alive, a chore to transplant etc. You can't just put them outside when it is warm, because they will fry in direct sunlight. Oh the irony. God bless direct sow seeds with a short growing season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 09:23 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
I pulled 4 hornworms off my tomatoes. All 4 were dead or dying, with lots of pupating parasitic wasps bursting through their bellies. Heh heh.

Something is taking bites out of my yellow pear and Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes. I can't figure what is doing it. "Bite" isn't quite the word. Some of the tomatoes have what look like erosions their skin, while others have chunks missing. Darn it!

Old 07-13-2017, 05:55 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
You know you have a problem when they pose for you while raiding your garden. I'm beginning to think this deer has been domesticated. Fall garden area well on the way to being prepped for broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts. Not sure what I'm doing but I'm doing it. "Learn by Doing" is part of the FFA Motto. I may have paraphrased that... years of gray matter decay may have messed that up.

Photo won't post

Last edited by Nomadicus; 07-13-2017 at 06:31 AM..

Old 07-13-2017, 06:34 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I pulled 4 hornworms off my tomatoes. All 4 were dead or dying, with lots of pupating parasitic wasps bursting through their bellies. Heh heh.

Something is taking bites out of my yellow pear and Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes. I can't figure what is doing it. "Bite" isn't quite the word. Some of the tomatoes have what look like erosions their skin, while others have chunks missing. Darn it!

I had yellow pear too aren't they delicious ? do they look like scars or what ? if they look like scars it is because they are splitting and they are prone to that . I know several of mine did that too . I usually pick em by then because they gets lots of water and they start to split sorry if that is not what you are talking about .

Old 07-13-2017, 04:11 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Growing lemon basil and a purple variety instead of the usual sweet basil has been very rewarding, I don't have to deal with downy mildew killing them off.

Also, the first jalapeños of the season are coming in now.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:56 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I had yellow pear too aren't they delicious ? do they look like scars or what ? if they look like scars it is because they are splitting and they are prone to that . I know several of mine did that too . I usually pick em by then because they gets lots of water and they start to split sorry if that is not what you are talking about .
I have some that have splits, too, but this is different. Definitely hunks of them missing. I wonder if a rodent has become fond of them?

Old 07-17-2017, 05:53 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Maybe snails? They do like tomatoes also as well as opossum which leave a well defined "V" shape.

My gardening skills are beyond rusty but we planted several types of tomatoes, melons, and egg plant this year. Most are doing okay so we decided to improve out skills by working in our local community garden. The food is then donated and we get to learn more.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I am so excited I actually am about to go out and pick one real tomato, about 1/2 doz jalapenos and some small cherry tomatoes, so even if i don't get much else, I can say I got something this year. Of course I will get more, I know the peppers will keep coming, the cherry tomatoes are there and as I have mentioned there is no end to the okra I will have by late next month.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:51 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Limas are in full bloom and Roma II bush beans need picking. First hint of blooms on still short okra plants. We ate the first Brandywine tomato yesterday. Have enough summer squash for ourselves and neighbors. Working on a summer garden pie project.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:40 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,400,840 times
We got one Celebrity tomato (there are more; this was the first to get red), only to discover it had blossom-end rot. The pieces we salvaged from that teeny tomato tasted better than almost any other tomato we've ever eaten, so I hope we correct the problem and it throws some more tomatoes at us.

The Gypsy, Carmen, and Coolapeño peppers are all loaded. I already blanched and froze a bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden