Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 05:59 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times

Advertisements

I picked a lot of pole beans, I usually don't plan these types of bean but the pillbugs have been getting to my Bush beans. 8-10 zucchini plants are getting bigger. One is having lots of baby female zucchini flowers. My okra plants are getting big, but not super big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 06:08 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,490,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I forgot to check a later planted pot of Patty Pan squash and to my surprise my wife cam in with a bucket full. She stuffed a pair for dinner last night. Okra needs picking, Roma II beans need picking, wax beans need picking but the beautiful stand of lima beans bloomed their hearts out but the pods aren't filling out. Maybe that is just as well with no young backs around to pick such. With the promise of a warm September there should be enough okra in the freezer until next years crop produces.
Love garden surprises! Do you freeze the okra whole or sliced?

Old 08-26-2017, 06:17 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I ripped out my one zucchini plant. It was covered in powdery mildew, the flowers had been knocked off by torrential rains, and all of the new flowers were male. I put it out of its misery.
I did the same with out pitiful "garden"....pulled the tomato plants up. We got 4 tomatoes total. One green pepper from that one. I'm letting the cucumber plant stay in. 3 from that one.

What a waste of time.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I forgot to check a later planted pot of Patty Pan squash and to my surprise my wife cam in with a bucket full. She stuffed a pair for dinner last night. Okra needs picking, Roma II beans need picking, wax beans need picking but the beautiful stand of lima beans bloomed their hearts out but the pods aren't filling out. Maybe that is just as well with no young backs around to pick such. With the promise of a warm September there should be enough okra in the freezer until next years crop produces.
on, my very favorite and as I mentioned I rarely even see it at the farmers markets anymore. As a kid I called them scalloped summer squash. I did get enough green beans for a meal a couple of days ago; we will have them tonight. I also probably have enough okra for dinner one night this week, with a lot more in the future. Otherwise as I have said, this year has been a disaster.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:59 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,550,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Love garden surprises! Do you freeze the okra whole or sliced?
sliced ready for tomatoes & onions or corn meal and flour. This year we dehydrated some fried okra sticks. Nice treats.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
on, my very favorite and as I mentioned I rarely even see it at the farmers markets anymore. As a kid I called them scalloped summer squash. I did get enough green beans for a meal a couple of days ago; we will have them tonight. I also probably have enough okra for dinner one night this week, with a lot more in the future. Otherwise as I have said, this year has been a disaster.
My first year ever for yellow wax beans and lots of them.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My first year ever for yellow wax beans and lots of them.

We've eaten summer squash until they are coming out our ears.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:34 AM

This old dog has learned a new trick. This is the daily drill. Some days twice. I never knew the camera used had a built in mic that could pick up the sound of the okra hitting the bottom of the bucket from 150' away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVqV...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Nomadicus; 08-29-2017 at 12:21 PM..

Old 09-01-2017, 11:24 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
I picked up a cucumber this morning and at least a pound of beans every day. It's hot here, heatwave kind of hot, maybe that's why.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
expecting a cooler than normal Sept so it looks like we are about to hire our grass guys to tear down our fence, dismantle the garden and settle for totally raised containers next year. Our daughter has some that are about 3 ft high, great for the back back old ladies and men. I did pick a bunch of Okra yesterday and have about a dozen cherry tomatoes that will be ready next week with still some to come. But for the most part the season is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden