Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 10:53 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAbsolute View Post
Thanks.... A local told me today that I need to prune away the lowest branch or leaf. He called it a sucker. He said it steals water and energy from the stalk. I sure hate to damage them. Have you heard of such a thing before?
I prune plants of suckers in fact when I first plant my tomatoes I pinch off the bottom most leaves. Lay the stem down in the hole horizonally patting down the dirt leaving just the top few leaves above ground. It makes a stronger plant when you do this with most plants and I have better yields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 04:10 AM

187 posts, read 949,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I prune plants of suckers in fact when I first plant my tomatoes I pinch off the bottom most leaves. Lay the stem down in the hole horizonally patting down the dirt leaving just the top few leaves above ground. It makes a stronger plant when you do this with most plants and I have better yields.
I sowed my seeds right in the garden. Do you suppose a gardener could fold over and cover the stem of a plant that is a couple weeks past seedling stage?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I sowed my seeds right in the garden. Do you suppose a gardener could fold over and cover the stem of a plant that is a couple weeks past seedling stage?
Oh no you wouldn't have to do that with your stems from seed sown directly in the ground.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:10 PM

I learned something new this morning. Please don't mention this to my guys on the job... They'll ridicule me to death.

My vegetable garden has some basil. All the basil gave off these real nice flowers. They're all different colors. Por que?
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-may29_0001.jpg  

Old 05-29-2009, 07:31 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
I learned something new this morning. Please don't mention this to my guys on the job... They'll ridicule me to death.

My vegetable garden has some basil. All the basil gave off these real nice flowers. They're all different colors. Por que?
it appears to be a new variety of basil - unfortunately, I don't think it's edible. But a feast for the eyes, certainly.

Next time, try sewing some zinnias.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:36 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Thanks.... A local told me today that I need to prune away the lowest branch or leaf. He called it a sucker. He said it steals water and energy from the stalk. I sure hate to damage them. Have you heard of such a thing before?
I'd be interested in the answer to this, as this year we planted a dozen corn stalks, a first for us. Didn't know anything had to be pruned on them. They seem to be doing fine.

I do pinch out some of the suckers on tomato plants. It seems to direct more energy into tomato production.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:56 PM

We have had some much rain here in April & May today we were mowing trying to catch up stuff outside. Noticed the green beans are going to be needing replanted they are so sparse in between what did come up. Don't think our ground was warm enough when we planted then we have had so much rain too.

Squash is coming up fine that was planted the same day May 12th. The joys of gardening dealing with the wonders and fits of mother nature eh?

Old 05-29-2009, 08:59 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
We have had some much rain here in April & May today we were mowing trying to catch up stuff outside. Noticed the green beans are going to be needing replanted they are so sparse in between what did come up. Don't think our ground was warm enough when we planted then we have had so much rain too.

Squash is coming up fine that was planted the same day May 12th. The joys of gardening dealing with the wonders and fits of mother nature eh?
Yep. All the ups and downs of May (not even speaking of April) made me develop a stoic quality of NOT planting much until the END of May -- except for cold-resistant things like onions and lettuce. A quality developed by hardship!!

Bought some seeds from farmers' place (larger bags) and the pea bag says, "Plant double rows 15" apart" - I thought double rows were a great idea! Because I had naked spaces in single rows of peas before (and beans, too). So I sowed peas in double rows (an inch apart) this year - didn't take much more room than a single row.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Quote:

Too funny.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
it appears to be a new variety of basil - unfortunately, I don't think it's edible. But a feast for the eyes, certainly.

Next time, try sewing some zinnias.
Did I mention this is my first real go-round with gardening? My 6 year old swore up and down that they were zinnias. I said how? No matter how much pesto I made from the stuff it never really tasted quite right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden