Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2020, 05:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Well the seeds are all planted and near a sunny window but we hardly see the sun so hope all will do fine. they always do grow. My biggest challenge right now and I can't believe I did this; I didn't mark what is in each pot. I guess I will just be surprised when the seeds come up. It will be interesting as I planted 4 kines of basil: Lemon, lime, sweet and thai. Also radishes, tomatoes and okra. I will know most of them as well as the jalapenos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 06:08 AM

Well a lot of my little seeds are now actual plants. Too bad I still don't know what they are, but whatever they sure are enjoy the warm weather in the house and the little bit of sunlight we are starting to get since it is warming up some.

Old 03-05-2020, 12:05 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Any update on this? I read LEDs don't work for growing veggies and I'd hate to waste time trying. Let us know. What color did you use? 2700k? 4000k? ect.

Yes, my update is this: I've been playing with a few bulbs, and one thing I've found, is that you can grow veg with plant bulbs, but you will probably need to supplement light requirements with some 6400k LEDs. (I'm using some 7Watt household bulbs, with their diffusers removed, so they are directional.) The Plant bulbs, are these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15W-85-26...72.m2749.l2649

I've grown, up to now, beetroot, as salad leaves, and lettuce too, plus I'm growing hybrid Poplars, though the Poplars are getting some natural light too. The Poplars are under 6400k, which being white light, should have all the shades of light needed to supplement.

Now, here's the problem with the majority of lights, they hang, and the light comes directly from above the plants, hence only a few leaves get to use it before it's wasted to the soil. I've found that you don't need the crazy wattages, if you light from the side, that is, horizontally, and have good reflective material on all sides and above, even behind or around the bulbs. If you are going to use lighting from above, you will need to consider the angles of reflected light, so as to not send the light down to the soil, but wherever possible, to get the light bouncing back and forth, with the majority hitting the plants.

Just note, that if your set-up is too well sealed from air movement, you could get mould problems, and also that your plants definitely won't get enough Co2, so will need some kind of ventilation.

If I think of more, I'll post.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by BECLAZONE; 03-05-2020 at 12:24 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 10:58 AM

Going to plant a variety of Tomato seeds in a few minutes. It is almost too late to do the inside, sunny window but it gives me something to do while I am sitting around with not much else. I could clean house but planting seeds is easier and more fun. At least they will get a little start before they are ready to pop into the ground, which is about 3 more weeks.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:50 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I popped my flower seeds in the garden this morning . With the world in turmoil i just felt the need to put in something pretty and in a few weeks time they will be popping up and making it pretty again . I can only imagine how paps and maams felt during world war two with the whole world in turmoil. I remember maams always planted flowers and her garden during stressful times .i especially remember her showing me her flower garden after president kennedy was asasinated . i only hope my flowers to be as pretty as hers . i also have already popped my cuke seeds in the greenhouse and the tomatoe seeds too.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:58 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Tomorrow, I'll be planting my seeds (inside of course, not safe outside until Mid May) in cups to start out. Ah excited to get started

Old 03-25-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Tomorrow, I'll be planting my seeds (inside of course, not safe outside until Mid May) in cups to start out. Ah excited to get started
We have had ours planted about a month now:yes, inside. In about 2 weeks or so we can start planting them outside. I actually didn't do my tomato seeds except for a few until last weekend. Today I got our and started getting the soil ready. I need a little more top soil but we are under volunteer isolation as hubby was tested yesterday for the virus. He has pneumonia right now and it is doubtful he has anything else. But we want to stay safe and protect others. As soon as he is cleared I will buy one more sack of top soil for the raised beds.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:33 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We have had ours planted about a month now:yes, inside. In about 2 weeks or so we can start planting them outside. I actually didn't do my tomato seeds except for a few until last weekend. Today I got our and started getting the soil ready. I need a little more top soil but we are under volunteer isolation as hubby was tested yesterday for the virus. He has pneumonia right now and it is doubtful he has anything else. But we want to stay safe and protect others. As soon as he is cleared I will buy one more sack of top soil for the raised beds.

Nice, yeah you're in Arkansas, well ahead of me weather wise. I'm on the border of 5b/6a and my last frost usually isn't until early May, so I have a ways to go before planting. This is my first year growing from seeds so *fingers cross* hopefully it works out well.

Have seeds in egg cartons upstairs in the warmest room of my house (away from the cats!).

Yesterday was 64F and sunny (warmest, nicest day of the year so far) so I went outside and prepped my herb and vegetable gardens. Got rid of the weeds that had begun to grow, as well as tilled/raked the soil. Onions were planted in the herb garden, they should survive any weaker frosts we have left.

Herb Garden

Vegetable Garden

Old 03-27-2020, 12:44 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I had an online class today on Vegetable, herbs and fruit gardening, and it gave me an urge to try a few vegetables again. I might go with a new area of the yard, and stick to things I’m pretty sure will do well. I learned that it’s not my fault I can’t grow a tomato here, so I’m skipping them all together.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:47 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I popped my flower seeds in the garden this morning .

I'm learning about flowers so will keep watching your updates on that. What kind did you plant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I learned that it’s not my fault I can’t grow a tomato here, so I’m skipping them all together.

Sorry to hear! I think everyone should have at least 1 Tomato plant growing at home. I know they don't like heat (above 90) is that the reason why? Have you tried mulching around them to keep soil temps from heating up? Have you tried a hot tolerate tomato plant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
This is my first year growing from seeds so *fingers cross* hopefully it works out well.

Have seeds in egg cartons upstairs in the warmest room of my house (away from the cats!).

Yesterday was 64F and sunny (warmest, nicest day of the year so far) so I went outside and prepped my herb and vegetable gardens. Got rid of the weeds that had begun to grow, as well as tilled/raked the soil. Onions were planted in the herb garden, they should survive any weaker frosts we have left.
Nice garden! Yeah, we've had a couple of super nice days. Rare for March in past 7 yrs.

Not much depth with the Egg carton so after like 2 weeks of germination I'm think you'll have to transplant into cups. Maybe wait until 1st set of leaves form. Don't forget to make 3 cuts at bottom of cups with a scissor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden