U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2020, 07:06 AM

4,435 posts, read 1,708,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
... I know they don't like heat (above 90) is that the reason why? Have you tried mulching around them to keep soil temps from heating up? Have you tried a hot tolerate tomato plant?

I've read that too, but I don't believe it. Tomatoes grow quite well in S. Italy/Sicily where temps are regularly 90-100 in summer. (Maybe the plants are fooled by the metric system (35-40C) and don't realize it's that hot? )

Tomatoes are easily over-watered. They need water for the roots, but don't like it on the foliage (get moldy easily). They prefer arid climates, but they're like weeds. They do well most anywhere.

That's what's nice about seed saving: plant a bunch and save whichever ones do well in your environment. Within just a couple yrs, you have your own personal "variety."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 10:06 AM

40,248 posts, read 49,757,290 times
Quote:

Sorry to hear! I think everyone should have at least 1 Tomato plant growing at home. I know they don't like heat (above 90) is that the reason why? Have you tried mulching around them to keep soil temps from heating up? Have you tried a hot tolerate tomato plant?

It’s not that, so much as that they can’t set fruit if the night temp is over 74. We are probably still under that, but not for much longer. I can manage to get some grape or cherry tomatoes, but not the full size ones.

I think I’ve already missed the window for this year, but if I get a determinate variety planted very early, it’s possible I could get a crop.

Last edited by gentlearts; 03-28-2020 at 10:15 AM..

Old 03-28-2020, 11:01 AM

206,741 posts, read 79,975,057 times
Not growing a lot this year but will be doing some new herbs as well as some shallots. The ground is almost dry enough to till and here comes more rain tonight. We will persevere as sooner or later is will be tillable. Materials are in place for a few raised beds for tomatoes, peppers, and summer squash.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:00 PM

3,050 posts, read 3,709,353 times
20 flats of 4 packs are growing well, 960 tomato, pepper and a few tomatillo plants...so far....a few more varieties yet to seed.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-31-2020, 12:57 PM

Location: Spring Church, PA (Until September 30, 2020) > Washington County, PA (Starting October 1, 2020)
3,990 posts, read 3,921,124 times
Quote:

Nice garden! Yeah, we've had a couple of super nice days. Rare for March in past 7 yrs.

Not much depth with the Egg carton so after like 2 weeks of germination I'm think you'll have to transplant into cups. Maybe wait until 1st set of leaves form. Don't forget to make 3 cuts at bottom of cups with a scissor.

Progress after 6 days.

About time to move the lettuce and swiss chard to cups I think! Parsely (in brown container) and peppers aren't showing yet.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:01 AM

77,168 posts, read 89,928,599 times
We still have to get a bag or two of top soil and we will be ready to think seriously of transplanting our indoor veggies to the containers. Lowe's is having a decent sale this week: I am proceeding with caution but figure as long as we practice social distancing and everything is outside a few minutes at the nursery isn't going to be a problem and by purchasing a few things, we are helping the employees plus will give us a chance to work in the yard and get some fresh air.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:26 AM

Location: Spring Church, PA (Until September 30, 2020) > Washington County, PA (Starting October 1, 2020)
3,990 posts, read 3,921,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Progress after 6 days.

About time to move the lettuce and Swiss chard to cups I think! Basil (in brown container) and peppers aren't showing yet.

Lettuce and Swiss Chard nearing the maximum maturity they can get inside, soon time to plant outside. Basil poking up everywhere now too

Unfortunately, Will have to wait to plant, snow in the forecast Friday. High of only 39F and lows in the mid 20s could kill them.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:20 AM

22,321 posts, read 21,412,893 times
Apartment gardening but I planted tomato seeds and yesterday they were just beginning to sprout. Today they're about one inch tall! I'll wait a few more days & then thin them out--I put three seeds in each cup but I only want one or two tomato plants. By the end of May, after hardening off, they'll go outside (they'll be in big pots by then.)

I have to check my Earth Box to make sure it's still working. That's where the beet seeds will be going as soon as I can get them in. Swiss chard and/or spinach will go in long planters.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:46 PM

5 posts, read 1,002 times
Be careful gardeners there's a lot of companies around these days selling composted human waste to people who don't know it. These shady companies are not telling their customers, how we found out is ask them when calling do they sell composted human waste, some call it certified composted human waste. The US compost council does not tell who are selling it and who it and who isn't. I don't have a problem with them selling it for growing grass or even flowers. But frankly I don't even want it on my land, much less in my vegetable gardens. Major merchandisers are even selling it in pellet sized formes, read the small labels. Iam not bad mouthing a product just letting gardeners know, BEWARE

Old 04-14-2020, 01:28 PM

77,168 posts, read 89,928,599 times
Today some places around here actually got some snow flurries so thank goodness nothing is in the plant containers yet, but hopefully will be in another few days or by the weekend. I have lost a few of my seedlings. I think with a little love and care I could safe them but just don't think they are going to produce and maybe not even grow when we are able to plant I do have 3 beautiful tomato plants and a couple of pepper plant by almost daughter gave me for Easter. They are really ready and begging to be planted. I am listening to them and to some others that are ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or