U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 05:22 AM

73,174 posts, read 56,634,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Here's the birdseye of 'Crooked Gardens'- .
Haha. You can totally see how it's not square to the house. Looks bad from above. That would bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You know when you only have one person eating anything out of this it is not worth it .

And a fence is out of the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Here’s my little box o’ veggies:
Currently have chives, oregano, and dill returning. Seeded lettuce, arugula, parsley, peas. Planted peppers, tomatoes, basil, cilantro, and cucumbers.
Nice. "dill returning". I made a mistake and let many of my dills go to seed. Now I got dill growing everywhere. I found one 100 feet away yesterday. What do you use cilantro in?

Quote:
Ugh. Worst scenario. We're getting 36deg or lower temps tonight, plus wind. Had to cover anything tender and pray for the best.

I saw it snowed in Montana yesterday!

https://twitter.com/NWSMissoula/stat...65492162162690

https://twitter.com/TomNiziol/status...66488565399554
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 08:02 AM
Status: "It puts the mask on its skin or else it gets Phase 1 again" (set 4 days ago)

13,324 posts, read 16,665,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
If "tear" isn't a typo, then I guess you just need to add some blood and sweat and you're all set.

Assuming you meant "year," then that's not as good as might think: by the end of one year of aging, most of the fiber in horse manure has broken down and you've lost it's best quality. Fiber adds air space to soil--the opposite to compaction. It allows water & nutrients better access to root hairs for absorption.

Also, the reason N always seems to be needed in soil is that it's mostly metabolized quickly by soil microbes to NH3 (ammonia) which is highly volatile and quickly out-gassed to the air....Adding to that problem is the fact that most N is eliminated from animals via the kidneys, not by the GI tract. That also explains why chicken manure is so good: both the renal & GI systems empty thru the common path of the cloaca, so it contains both solid waste and urine.

Nice set up, BTW-- Good job.
It's not ideal- yes you are right, however it is free soil and living on a chunk of decomposing granite and shale- we'll take it!! To be precise- it's from a pile my neighbor has been growing for over 20 years. When he cleans his stalls and coops he just piles it on. I should take a photo of it because it is ENORMOUS. He's had as many as 15 or so horses and I know he's got 30+ chickens (I feed them when he's away). That's a lot of poop.

It is much, much better than the topsoil sold at nursery's in bulk around here. I had to spread over 30 tons around the house this year to establish grass. They use a 3/4 screen and it is filled with rock. It sucks and every nursery does the same thing. Two years ago they used 1/2" screens but it appears they're chasing a buck now.

I can say this- the corn popped pretty quickly in that soil from the neighbors- and it is definitely lighter than the topsoil from the nursery. I can easily stick my hand all the way in without much force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup- Avon is just the other side of the divide from us. We live about 20 miles as the crow flies from the divide. We see the snow capped mountains from our kitchen windows. Always fun here.. Makes gardening feel like a contact sport sometimes, lol.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:40 AM

3,941 posts, read 3,874,113 times
Hate the weather this time of year, but love the fresh veggies! Since I've been working from home from COVID-19 I've had a rare opportunity for eating lunch!

My lettuce and swiss chard plants are fully matured and I can pick the leaves (around this time of day) and wash them and have literally the freshest salad ever! So tasty. Wish tomatoes and cucumbers were ready but hey! Still pretty cool

Old 06-11-2020, 05:22 AM

Don't know if you can see it but the soil temp 4" down this morning is the warmest its been and past 2 yrs was never this warm by June 11th. 11 days ago we were colder than it was past 2 yrs.

72.6°F. Amazing difference when soil warms up and how garden reacts. That's why we only really have a 3-4 month growing season here.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:36 PM

1,014 posts, read 423,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Haha. You can totally see how it's not square to the house. Looks bad from above. That would bother me.

And a fence is out of the question?

Nice. "dill returning". I made a mistake and let many of my dills go to seed. Now I got dill growing everywhere. I found one 100 feet away yesterday. What do you use cilantro in?

I saw it snowed in Montana yesterday!

https://twitter.com/NWSMissoula/stat...65492162162690

https://twitter.com/TomNiziol/status...66488565399554
Cilantro matures into coriander, and is often used as a topping on Southwestern dishes, for one.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:39 PM

1,014 posts, read 423,142 times
Some harvested lettuce and arugula from my garden bed. This arugula is strong.
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-99791369-85a7-4039-bdd2-91b2455c5c37.jpeg  

Old 06-22-2020, 03:40 PM
Status: "It puts the mask on its skin or else it gets Phase 1 again" (set 4 days ago)

13,324 posts, read 16,665,734 times
It's been a tough June for our tomatoes and corn. Unseasonably cool weather, hail.. Everything else is doing well but were doubtful on a tomato harvest this year. It's just now getting into the upper 70's 80's so we'll see.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:28 PM

18,374 posts, read 8,676,192 times
I had my first Celebrity tomato, it was delicious in a BLT.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:40 PM

28,042 posts, read 26,732,746 times
Quote:
Thanks! We have a challenging property/soil. We live just on an upthrust from the Helena Valley, so our soil is decomposed granite and shale. When we bought this place the bulk of that raised bed area appeared to be for a kids playground.It was filled with very fine pea gravel- 3' deep in some spots. We dug it out, spread the gravel on our driveway and backfilled it with topsoil and manure. That's the only way we could start a garden. Virgin soil was totally out of the question...

What's irritating is that the previous owner did not 'square' the raised timbers with the house- it is crooked from a birdseye view. We're German, so we like things to be in square, lol.

So we've adopted a name for our home/garden- North Hills Crooked Gardens.
My Welsh father felt the same way. Everything had to be squared up or it drove him a bit crazy.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:16 AM

Quote:
It's been a tough June for our tomatoes and corn. Unseasonably cool weather, hail.. Everything else is doing well but were doubtful on a tomato harvest this year. It's just now getting into the upper 70's 80's so we'll see.
Interesting, hopefully there is a stretch of better weather for you. When is your season over? When do Tomatoes typically stop growing/producing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or