U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2020, 09:48 AM

2,008 posts, read 824,778 times

Advertisements

Had the first cherry tomatoes this week.These cherries get tall, so instead of using those flimsy metal tomato cages, went to YouTube and built these sturdy wood ones.
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-a6d3bd18-a7c8-4129-84af-dea54a110f89.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 09:52 AM

Camomile is growing wild this year. In the back ground is a potted rasberry and two kinds of thyme in bloom. I think that’s a quince peeking out from below.
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-50a1978f-495c-4029-8d46-20c9b2e96ed5.jpeg  

Old 07-03-2020, 09:05 PM

28,118 posts, read 26,843,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Had the first cherry tomatoes this week.These cherries get tall, so instead of using those flimsy metal tomato cages, went to YouTube and built these sturdy wood ones.
Mine are still green, but I planted late. Those are nice cages! I used to use tall wooden stakes and cages for indeterminate cherry tomatoes. Those things are beasts when they're mature. A local garden center used to sell a tall, heavy cage.

https://www.plantapillar.com/pagep2.php

Old 07-03-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Mine are still green, but I planted late. Those are nice cages! I used to use tall wooden stakes and cages for indeterminate cherry tomatoes. Those things are beasts when they're mature. A local garden center used to sell a tall, heavy cage.

Thanks, YouTube has a lot of information about building wood cages if you’re interested. I tried wall o’water for an earlier tomato and pepper harvest. Every summer, seven foot cherry tomato vines would knock down those flimsy metal cages, then try to take over the garden. This summer the vines should be supported a lot better.

I saw the link, but there was no price listed for the Plantapillar cages. They are very nice, but I didn’t want to spend much. A few pieces of wood and a can of spray paint is about right.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:17 AM
Status: "It puts the mask on its skin or else it gets Phase 1 again" (set 19 days ago)

13,472 posts, read 16,735,929 times
Our first run of spinach is over. We'll plant more for a fall harvest. Thinned out the bok choy and put up a few quart bags of the young ones- good for soups and salads. Lettuce coming out of our ears and the radishes are going gangbusters. I pickled three pints of radishes and we have enough growing for 5-7 more plus enough daikons for Korean radish/beef soup.

Planted a new variety of corn this year- not pleased with the results thus far. Poor germination %. Last year we grew a northern hybrid and they did super well, but a bit lacking in flavor. Not bad- just not great.

Last years stand grew very predictably and produced good ears. Some of the tips didn't kernel out but they were by and large full and plump ears.

Last years stand-

Old 07-05-2020, 09:02 AM
Status: "It puts the mask on its skin or else it gets Phase 1 again" (set 19 days ago)

Quote:
Thanks, YouTube has a lot of information about building wood cages if you’re interested. I tried wall o’water for an earlier tomato and pepper harvest. Every summer, seven foot cherry tomato vines would knock down those flimsy metal cages, then try to take over the garden. This summer the vines should be supported a lot better.

I saw the link, but there was no price listed for the Plantapillar cages. They are very nice, but I didn’t want to spend much. A few pieces of wood and a can of spray paint is about right.
You can buy metal t posts for about $5-6 a pop, and a roll of wire fence for $30. We usually put a few t-posts in the ground next to a row of tomatoes and then cut a strip of fencing (use lineman's pliers) and attach it to the t-posts. You can tie off the plants on that. Everything is reusable if you can store it, and you lot's of possibilities with it. Our peas and pole beans trellis on them- you name it.

Not sure around your area, but if we have too many t-posts they sell pretty quickly on craigslist. We bought a pile of 50 used ones for about $75 and we turned around and sold 20 for $45.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You can buy metal t posts for about $5-6 a pop, and a roll of wire fence for $30. We usually put a few t-posts in the ground next to a row of tomatoes and then cut a strip of fencing (use lineman's pliers) and attach it to the t-posts. You can tie off the plants on that. Everything is reusable if you can store it, and you lot's of possibilities with it. Our peas and pole beans trellis on them- you name it.

Not sure around your area, but if we have too many t-posts they sell pretty quickly on craigslist. We bought a pile of 50 used ones for about $75 and we turned around and sold 20 for $45.
Your idea is good if you have long rows for tomatoes. I have the 4 by 4 raised wood beds, and have the two tallest tomatoes in back with two short tomatoes in front. Cages are the only thing that fit that space.

I’d love to trellis peas or beans, but the garden area is stuffed with veggies and flowers, there is zero room. Your idea works well to support the raspberries the previous homeowner had. I put in several six foot t-posts, then secured wire to them, then took the long canes and wove them through the wire. It’s cheap and efficient and supports those canes upright without having them hang down and scratch you when you walk by.

T-posts go for around 6.00 at HD. I’ve bought a lot of them to make pens for my chickens and geese. Maybe I should plant beans or peas on the side of the pen, it already has the wire fence for support.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Your idea is good if you have long rows for tomatoes. I have the 4 by 4 raised wood beds, and have the two tallest tomatoes in back with two short tomatoes in front. Cages are the only thing that fit that space.

I’d love to trellis peas or beans, but the garden area is stuffed with veggies and flowers, there is zero room. Your idea works well to support the raspberries the previous homeowner had. I put in several six foot t-posts, then secured wire to them, then took the long canes and wove them through the wire. It’s cheap and efficient and supports those canes upright without having them hang down and scratch you when you walk by.

T-posts go for around 6.00 at HD. I’ve bought a lot of them to make pens for my chickens and geese. Maybe I should plant beans or peas on the side of the pen, it already has the wire fence for support.
Well we have used sheep stock tanks for somethings, and we've cut 4' sections of wire panel and drove wooden 2x2 stakes along it- just use HD staple gun to attach it and good to go.

I'm also pretty handy with baling twine and duct tape.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Well we have used sheep stock tanks for somethings, and we've cut 4' sections of wire panel and drove wooden 2x2 stakes along it- just use HD staple gun to attach it and good to go.

I'm also pretty handy with baling twine and duct tape.
I’ve used the staple gun to attach wire fence to the wood doorway frame of the chicken and geese pens. Your idea for using the stock tank and having wire panel in back is great! I’m going to see if any of the stock tanks are rusted enough to replace yet.

Plastic zip ties work great for attaching most anything.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:49 AM

1,738 posts, read 1,151,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

Boy, those are constructed a lot thicker than what I've seen in the past.
Mine are looking kind of flimsy now after yrs of use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or