U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 10:51 AM

1,738 posts, read 1,153,901 times

Advertisements

Impressive Threerun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 09:02 PM
Status: "It puts the mask on its skin or else it gets Phase 1 again" (set 26 days ago)

13,554 posts, read 16,764,930 times
Time to start putting stuff up. Already froze a bunch of spinach. Now it's on to soup making time. One of our family favorites a Korean beef radish soup, with slight alterations. A pretty mild soup as far as it goes. Radishes and green onions from the garden, garlic, beef, soup soy sauce, some sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds, salt and garlic. Real simple but hearty soup we enjoy in the fall and winter.

Over 3 lbs of radishes, 3 lbs of beef and 3 dozen green onions in the mix. We'll can it along with a smaller batch of spicy Taiwanese beef noodle soup I made over the weekend. Time to break out the pressure canner!!

Old 07-08-2020, 05:03 AM

73,428 posts, read 56,893,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Time to start putting stuff up. Already froze a bunch of spinach. Now it's on to soup making time. One of our family favorites a Korean beef radish soup, with slight alterations. A pretty mild soup as far as it goes. Radishes and green onions from the garden, garlic, beef, soup soy sauce, some sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds, salt and garlic. Real simple but hearty soup we enjoy in the fall and winter.

Over 3 lbs of radishes, 3 lbs of beef and 3 dozen green onions in the mix. We'll can it along with a smaller batch of spicy Taiwanese beef noodle soup I made over the weekend. Time to break out the pressure canner!!
WOW! Marry me! lol. 3lbs of Radish? How was the soil you planted them in? Was it loose and compost?

Old 07-08-2020, 07:10 AM
Status: "It puts the mask on its skin or else it gets Phase 1 again" (set 26 days ago)

It's pretty balanced. I can look up the soil test results for the proper analysis but it's a deep top soil. Remember we had to add a lot of soil to these beds. What we used was a mix of top soil and sheep poop. I had two dump trucks deliver it several years ago- it was around $300-$350 to fill all the beds. Our native soil is decomposed shale, granite and clay- pretty crappy stuff.
We haven't added much compost yet- our pile is still 2 years old and needs to break down. It's SLOW out here. I'll add it to the soil in the fall and till it in so it can decompose over the winter with a snow pack on top. Usually what happens here is the top 1" of soil will become hard and crusty/packed- mainly due to dry wind. Below it stays adequately moist once plants are established. Root veggies do well out here.

We planted some different varieties of radishes this year and one in particular- Easter Egg radish did REALLY well. It produced baseball sized radishes with an incredible flavor. Some of our icicle radishes grew to 8" long and 4" in circumference and did not get pithy. Daikons did well too.

We make 4 soups for the fall/winter- the Radish beef, Pork Udon Noodle, ham and bean soup and of course- venison chili. The pork udon is the hands down favorite and really complex in flavor. A lot of the garden veggies are in the soups- radishes, bok choy, carrots, onions, peppers, beans, herbs... It's a good way to put them up.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:25 PM

206,135 posts, read 79,736,638 times
We've started picking and eating summer squash.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
We've started picking and eating summer squash.
We envy you. Just not the humidity, lol.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:51 AM

Put up 14 Qts today. On our way to 50 or more.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:06 AM

76,320 posts, read 89,189,016 times
Have just started thinking about canning: Our big gals canning date is set for the weekend of July 25, 26 and into the morning of the 27th. I have done a few jars of mixed veggies already. Most of what we will do has to be purchased but some will come from our small gardens. Right now we are getting lots of peppers and the tomato plants are loaded but still very green.

I had one huge disaster; I had planted some winter squash seeds and OMG they were growing like nothing I have seen in ages. We already had sever tine squash plus lots of blossoms. Well the night before last our outside light went on about midnight; we dd get up, looked in the yard, did't see anything but yesterday morning our squash plants were stripped. Only the stems were left. Hope the little creatures enjoyed their midnight snack.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:57 PM

We've become fond of our All American pressure canner. We only wish we went with a larger model. We can only pressure can 7 qts at a time.

We recently looked on line and they are so backlogged they won't ship until October. Even mason jars are becoming a bit scarce in the stores. Seems Covid turned people into farmers, seamstresses and bakers, lol.

2 years ago I saw an add in Craigslist- someone was trying to sell over 200-250 various sized mason jars in a piece meal fashion. Made an offer on the whole deal and picked them all up. I figured we'd set aside what we need, then sell them piece meal. My wife had also ordered bulk lids last year too, so we're set there as well.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:06 PM

73,428 posts, read 56,893,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We've become fond of our All American pressure canner. We only wish we went with a larger model. We can only pressure can 7 qts at a time.

We recently looked on line and they are so backlogged they won't ship until October. Even mason jars are becoming a bit scarce in the stores. Seems Covid turned people into farmers, seamstresses and bakers, lol.

2 years ago I saw an add in Craigslist- someone was trying to sell over 200-250 various sized mason jars in a piece meal fashion. Made an offer on the whole deal and picked them all up. I figured we'd set aside what we need, then sell them piece meal. My wife had also ordered bulk lids last year too, so we're set there as well.
SMART move! My moms neighbor was selling her home and needed to get rid of everything in the house. Told us no charge to take something as we were good neighbors.

I walked around and the only thing I took were her 2 cases of mason jars and some new lids. Jackpot.

Now I have to google "All American Pressure Canner". Probably just a fancy name for a pot where you give the jars a bath?

Anyway - I heard jars are limited as well. Either the production plant is busy focusing on more important orders due to the Virus or like you said, the demand is higher since people want to preserve stuff.

Do you put anything on the bottom of the pot?

EDIT: Wow, that's an All American Pressure Canner? I just use this.

Last edited by Cambium; 07-10-2020 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or