Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 08:35 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAbsolute View Post
You know AAbsolute means no ill will. I'll take a mixture of discussion forums and how-to guides over just one source of info any day. Where else can you interact with people from all over the world in real time about their experiences besides discussion forums. This is precisley the formula that will make the Psychozoic Era the most progressive Era ever for the advancement of humankind. Thanks
Oh no ill will taken just being sure the BBB is promoted as a safe authority on canning. I agree it is so wonderful to be able to talk to folks about their experiences~~failures & successes. I have jars galore but what do I always check for when I go into stores?

paperhouse great tip on the t-shirts too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 05:36 AM

187 posts, read 949,653 times
The peas in the garden are on their last legs. The heat is just killing them. The green beans are still thriving so I planted new beans where the peas are finishing and I put a new green bean seed at the base of each corn stalk. I'm hoping the beans will like the corn stalk for support.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Quote:
I can't believe I haven't been growing my own food all my life. It's real cool to go out there, grab a bunch of food and go to work.
Better later than never !

Planting out the little tiny tomato plants now, in the beggining of June. Such is life in Canada. AAbsolute- I plant them 3 feet apart. I have no idea how you will manage 500 plants so dense, but I guess you will manage!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Better later than never !

Planting out the little tiny tomato plants now, in the beggining of June. Such is life in Canada. AAbsolute- I plant them 3 feet apart. I have no idea how you will manage 500 plants so dense, but I guess you will manage!
Hey Russia, I mixed my messages a bit. I think I have about 200 tomato plants and today they have about 500 green tomatoes. I didn't thin them much other than scooping out about 5 plants at a time and relocating them around the garden.

I bought some canning jars so I can find a way to keep from wasting any. That canning Thread is awesome.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,315,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Peas don't do well in the South unless you plant them in Feb-Mar, or from seed in September - or unless they are blackeyed peas!

Now like flik_becky, in Zone 4-5, I am a plantin fool - everything is going in, willy-nilly... live or die, I've run out of transplant room and paper cups! LOL The temps have been in the 80s the past few days, the chickens are out in a temporary pen til they get used to the outside (before they go in their tractors) - and today the storm fronts are supposed to come thru again and drop the temps down to 60s-70's all week.

Last week a friend told me that she gave up on vegetable gardening here when she lost her whole garden - the second week of June - to a frost and light snow... Here's hoping!
Last night we heard it was going to get down to 32 degrees. Then we spaced it and went to bed forgetting all about it, that is until 4:30 when I had to go to work and had to scrap frost of the windshield.

Needless to say, our standing-back-looking-on-with-pride looks on our faces with our tomatoes have been wiped away completely. A couple may pull through. I didn't have the time to spray them so I called DH. By the time he got out there, they were already turning brown. At least we only spent a little more then $10 on them. We'll have to start all over again. The worst part is that we had the "covers" sitting right by them, waiting to be tucked in at bedtime. *sigh* I should have known better. The almanac did say that it would be mid-June before we had didn't have to worry about frost anymore.

But the good news is that we only have 4 of the 12 sections left, and two halves that don't really count because I'll I've got to do is throw in the seeds for dill, parsley, mustard and chervail (?sp) and the other half was waiting for more tomatoes. Three of the four have their plants growing inside so it won't be too hard to put them in. Once I get in all the beans and the 1/2 sections of herbs, we'll just have the gourd family and tomatoes. I see the end in sight!

Old 06-04-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
Last night we heard it was going to get down to 32 degrees. Then we spaced it and went to bed forgetting all about it, that is until 4:30 when I had to go to work and had to scrap frost of the windshield.

Needless to say, our standing-back-looking-on-with-pride looks on our faces with our tomatoes have been wiped away completely. A couple may pull through. I didn't have the time to spray them so I called DH. By the time he got out there, they were already turning brown. At least we only spent a little more then $10 on them. We'll have to start all over again. The worst part is that we had the "covers" sitting right by them, waiting to be tucked in at bedtime. *sigh* I should have known better. The almanac did say that it would be mid-June before we had didn't have to worry about frost anymore.
What's it mean when you say spray them? I didn't know that a night of freezing temps would kill the garden.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:40 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post

But the good news is that we only have 4 of the 12 sections left, and two halves that don't really count because I'll I've got to do is throw in the seeds for dill, parsley, mustard and chervail (?sp) and the other half was waiting for more tomatoes. Three of the four have their plants growing inside so it won't be too hard to put them in. Once I get in all the beans and the 1/2 sections of herbs, we'll just have the gourd family and tomatoes. I see the end in sight!

OMG. Scraping frost off the windshield. Sorry for your losses. I find it hard to hold off in the planting season, too. We are on the border of 6a and 6b - holding off to just now (beginning of June) is hard!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
What's it mean when you say spray them? I didn't know that a night of freezing temps would kill the garden.
If you get to the plants before the sun comes up and spray the frost off with the hose, it is suppose to save them. It's a bit further bad in this thread that we talked about if you wanted to look for it.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
OMG. Scraping frost off the windshield. Sorry for your losses. I find it hard to hold off in the planting season, too. We are on the border of 6a and 6b - holding off to just now (beginning of June) is hard!

It's driving me nuts. The longer the plants are in, the more they get stunted and root bound. I don't have enough big containers to keep on transplanting them. I have a greenhouse we made on the porch but the nights are just oo cold still. It will be good for quick hardening off when the time comes though because I can have the benefit of the greenhouse in the chillier morning hours and lift the side to toughen them up.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:33 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,471 times
Today I picked my first cherry tomato and 3 jalapenos!! I am excited, I can't wait to see how hot the jalapenos are!

PS. And man.. I can't believe you guys are talking about ice.. it is over 100 degrees here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden