U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2020, 03:56 PM

16,922 posts, read 19,671,214 times

Advertisements

Well I had to break down. We've been here 10 years and have never had to use any pesticides, organic or otherwise. However this year the grasshopper explosion has been untenable. They ate our chock cherry bushes to nothing. Our Saskatoon service berry trees are getting hammered. Last night they moved to my corn patch and started munching there. Okay I draw the line at my corn.

I decided to use Sevin. I haven't had to use since we gardened in WV- and then only sparingly. I called all the garden places, box stores- everyone is out. Totally out. Apparently everyone in Helena MT is waging war on the grasshoppers. Ace said they may have a shipment in (yesterday) and usually arrives at 3pm. I got there at 2:30pm- there were 10 people in front of me waiting for it. I've never seen that before in my life.

I took two bottles (hook to a hose) and applied Sevin to the corn and cabbage. Hoppers left IMMEDIATELY. Thank-goodness the corn hasn't tassled yet- so fruit hasn't set. Hopefully these bastards move on to greener pastures and leave me alone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 06:13 AM

77,800 posts, read 98,026,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Well I had to break down. We've been here 10 years and have never had to use any pesticides, organic or otherwise. However this year the grasshopper explosion has been untenable. They ate our chock cherry bushes to nothing. Our Saskatoon service berry trees are getting hammered. Last night they moved to my corn patch and started munching there. Okay I draw the line at my corn.

I decided to use Sevin. I haven't had to use since we gardened in WV- and then only sparingly. I called all the garden places, box stores- everyone is out. Totally out. Apparently everyone in Helena MT is waging war on the grasshoppers. Ace said they may have a shipment in (yesterday) and usually arrives at 3pm. I got there at 2:30pm- there were 10 people in front of me waiting for it. I've never seen that before in my life.

I took two bottles (hook to a hose) and applied Sevin to the corn and cabbage. Hoppers left IMMEDIATELY. Thank-goodness the corn hasn't tassled yet- so fruit hasn't set. Hopefully these bastards move on to greener pastures and leave me alone.
Sevin is about the only thing we use,if we use anything. It is so nice to pick fruit and know you do not even have to wash it to know it is save from chemicals. That doesn't mean we do not wash the produce but we know we are doing it to keep from inhaling poison.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:17 PM

Making some crock pickles! (Not my cucumbers though- they are sucking wind, not enough heat early on). I scored 20lbs of organic picklers and some fresh dill from our weed patch, some salt brine, jalapenos, coriander seed, garlic and peppercorns and we're going to make lactobacillus (fermented) pickles! Layer cukes, garlic, jalapenos, peppercorns, coriander, dill and grape leaves and repeat. Cover with brine, weight a plate and cover and wait 3-4 weeks for spicy sour pickles.

Last edited by Threerun; 08-06-2020 at 09:42 PM..

Old 08-06-2020, 10:34 PM

31,231 posts, read 32,213,929 times
Your photos are great! My brain can smell all of those ingredients.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:19 PM

Yeah we love spicy garlic dills! Last year was the first time since I was kid living on my great grandparents farm that I've had fermented pickles. My wife and I did the whole vinegar, hot pack thing for years. Man last year we had a batch of fermented pickles that was just awesome. Crunchy and just tart and spicy enough. I've had this 5gal crock for over 30 years, so I'm happy to put it back into regular service, lol.

And there it shall sit with a towel over it for at least 3 weeks. I'll know in a few days if fermenting is taking off or not.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:00 AM

The garden science project is working, muh-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...

Old 08-09-2020, 10:06 AM

1,222 posts, read 884,770 times
Default How do you pollinate a self pollinating plant?

Specifically a lemon tree! The internet says it has to be pollinated to give lemons but it also said it is a self pollinating plant, so we are lost. Its an indoor plant about 2-3 feet tall that was grown from seeds from an organic lemon but it has never even flowered. Do not want to put it outside and possibly bring bugs in the house but we would love to see it blossom and maybe bear fruit. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:59 PM

3 posts, read 854 times
Default Cucumbers died

Hello All,
I’m new here and have been enjoying everyone’s posts. Lots of good tips. I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me why my cucumbers died. They started out doing well and I got a few cucumbers. Then the leaves started turning brown. 2 weeks later and the plants are dead. This is the second year in a row. Before last year I was getting tons of cucs. I’m trying to figure out how to post a picture!
Thanks,
Karen

Old 08-10-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen0224 View Post
Hello All,
I’m new here and have been enjoying everyone’s posts. Lots of good tips. I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me why my cucumbers died. They started out doing well and I got a few cucumbers. Then the leaves started turning brown. 2 weeks later and the plants are dead. This is the second year in a row. Before last year I was getting tons of cucs. I’m trying to figure out how to post a picture!
Thanks,
Karen
Did you plant them in the same spot the past 2 years?

Old 08-10-2020, 09:39 AM

1,856 posts, read 953,523 times
Small planter garden doing fairly well. Celebrity, Patio, and Blush tomatoes; peppers, cukes, herbs, some peas and lettuce past harvest, too. We haven’t had any problems with the vegetables other than I got started one to two weeks later than I should have. Plenty of cukes, and large. Roses in the background have done very well this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
All Vegetable Gardening-d7503652-6d63-44c0-b061-eed48c4c6d49.jpeg   All Vegetable Gardening-7a29d8a1-6ff8-46c7-b1c4-17f34b76b53f.jpeg   All Vegetable Gardening-001b336c-4694-4cb8-97b9-85f96285e89b.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden