U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2020, 03:26 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,936,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That sucks!!! Yeah I’m surprised we’ve dodged it so far, it’s abnormal for us to have weather like this. 41 was low last night. Our 7 day forecast has the coldest next week at 42. We may have another week of letting tomatoes sit on the vine..

I will be moving within the next 2 weeks, still in Western PA. My new zone is dropping a half (5b to 6a) but average frost/freeze dates are about the same. I actually really prefer cool to cold weather, it just sucks this year our growing season was so short (we had our last frost June 1st).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 05:45 AM

74,227 posts, read 57,627,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Lucky for you! My plants were all just crushed by this weekend. I tried to cover to save the baby fruit on the vine (since we will have low 70s this weekend and lows in the 50s) but it wasn't enough. They are dead, hard to fight a freeze like this
WOW! Lots of frost in CT too. Not here yet. Usually mid October.

Quote:
That sucks!!! Yeah I’m surprised we’ve dodged it so far, it’s abnormal for us to have weather like this. 41 was low last night. Our 7 day forecast has the coldest next week at 42. We may have another week of letting tomatoes sit on the vine..

Snip off any blooms or growth. Curious if they ripen up with those temps but if you got sun and 60s during the day than they should ripen.

As one who is a weather nut it was pretty cool when I learned why when its very warm there, its cold here and when you are cold, its warm here. All about the Jet Stream. The surface temperatures and pattern reflects what's happening aloft 5000-30,000 feet up. So if the Jet stream lifts north into Canada and dips down into the Northeast you get very warm and we get the cold Canadian air dropping south.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:06 PM

14,569 posts, read 17,153,109 times
Gonna be 39 tonight. Tomorrow lows 36. We’ll let tomatoes stay out tonight and tomorrow we’re going to pick half off the plants, and then dig out the other half by the roots and hang them upside down in the garage. Kind of a test to see which ones ripen better.

Old 09-27-2020, 04:59 PM

We changed our minds. We pulled most of the healthy plants and moved them into the garage on tarps/ We wrapped to roots in newspaper and burlap and will water them with feed and water. I'll turn up the heat in the garage to 70 deg and see what happens.

We've got several hundred maters on those plants. Worth trying to save I think.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:38 AM

10,187 posts, read 7,636,548 times
Finally got around to pickling a bunch of peppers.

The clear winner this year was the Thai Bishop's Hat Peppers. Incredible production from a single plant. Good taste...sweet like a bell pepper with just a bit more spice.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:33 AM

74,227 posts, read 57,627,493 times
Quote:
We changed our minds. We pulled most of the healthy plants and moved them into the garage on tarps/ We wrapped to roots in newspaper and burlap and will water them with feed and water. I'll turn up the heat in the garage to 70 deg and see what happens.

We've got several hundred maters on those plants. Worth trying to save I think.
Whoa.! I never seen that. I know its a garage but aren't you risking bringing in bugs, microbes, fungi, bacteria, ect.. inside your home? Unless this is a detached garage?

I'm very funny like that where I don't even want a plant inside my house. No dirt! Everyone asks why I never have bugs inside the house. lol.

Why not just pick all the unripened ones and leave in paper bag or something?

Old 09-29-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Whoa.! I never seen that. I know its a garage but aren't you risking bringing in bugs, microbes, fungi, bacteria, ect.. inside your home? Unless this is a detached garage?

I'm very funny like that where I don't even want a plant inside my house. No dirt! Everyone asks why I never have bugs inside the house. lol.

Why not just pick all the unripened ones and leave in paper bag or something?
I'm not worried about bugs. Our house has 3 dogs, 2 cats and lots of plants- we have lots of microbes, lol.

We thought we'd try something different- keep the roots intact and wet and see how they do. We have propane heat in the garage so I cranked it to 70 to see what happens. The fruit that fell off while up-rooting is in a cardboard box, layered on newspaper. We've at least 100 in there.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:57 AM

40,407 posts, read 49,964,117 times
Here in coastal GA, I helped clean out the raised beds at the Botanical Gardens in preparation for planting winter crops. We couldn’t plant yesterday, because several of the beds had fire ants, so we will plant in the next week or so. The seeds are coming from the public library’s new seed exchange program, where anyone can come and take out seeds. The Botanical Garden will be a demonstration garden for that program.

Some of the seeds are various varieties of green onions, turnips, radishes, mustard greens...

About the raised beds....the garden used to be called The Bamboo Farm, because they grew many varieties. So, they have used an abundant free supply of bamboo to make their raised beds. 4x4 posts are each corner and then stacked, 2” diameter bamboo poles up to about knee high. It’s a nice example of using what they have that’s free and abundant.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:23 AM

77,737 posts, read 90,266,339 times
Finally got the tomatoes picked and wrapped to ripen: they are so good but so small this year: we have peppers sitting all over the place. I think I am about to just stick them in the fridge: they keep for a long time and today, while watching football and the horse races I will make pesto with all the basil or most of it. The rest of the herbs, well I will just let nature take its course Goodbye garden 2020

Old 10-03-2020, 12:59 PM

Our dining nook has turned into a tomato ripening center, lol

Wife is making picante today- she's using all these and whatever else is ripe.

And this is not including what's left in the garage- I'd say 25lbs of tomatoes are in there.

Oh and yes- squash and zucchini is still blossoming and producing small fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or