U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2021, 08:02 PM

29,950 posts, read 29,427,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
Can anyone give some tips on thinning cukes and zucchini?

We bought plants from nursery, each spike had 3-4 seedlings. They are probably a little past the point now when I should have thinned, so need to do it today. Do I need to take it down to 1 stem per planting? Or can I leave like 2 per?
You absolutely have to snip to one with zucchini. The plants become very wide. Did you buy bush or vining cucumbers? You can get away with two with the vining varieties but have to give them a bit more room. You have two plants which need x amount of space each to thrive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 01:53 PM

11,330 posts, read 8,715,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Finally got some tomato plantlets. Bought four, but three of them were twins.

Got a single pepper, because this year we were 'cutting back.'
So was I...had a much more scaled back garden plan. Then my wife's family gave her a dozen tomatoes and peppers, and I had to go back to last years footprint.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:34 AM

4,119 posts, read 4,151,164 times
Speagles84's Garden Update 6/2/2021

Lettuce/Chard - would be higher, but I've been feasting

Tomatoes have been growing slowly due to the chilly May we had

Same with the peppers

Squash popping up - I did Zucchini, Yellow summer, and Spaghetti

Cucumbers coming up too, we have 80s in the forecast here we go!

Old 06-11-2021, 07:44 PM

1,569 posts, read 685,995 times
Our 3 zucchini plants are just killing us because they are over producing.
We have to harvest 2 or three every day or they get jumbo size.
We can’t give them away anymore.
I think my wife is now known as the zucchini lady in our neighborhood.

I am now thinking of turning the extras into pet food.
The dogs like them as treats and so does the parrot.
I think since our chickens will eat anything they will now have this as a supplement.

What do you all do with yours?

Thanks.
Andy.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:43 AM

3,618 posts, read 2,571,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Our 3 zucchini plants are just killing us because they are over producing.
We have to harvest 2 or three every day or they get jumbo size.
We can’t give them away anymore.
I think my wife is now known as the zucchini lady in our neighborhood.

I am now thinking of turning the extras into pet food.
The dogs like them as treats and so does the parrot.
I think since our chickens will eat anything they will now have this as a supplement.

What do you all do with yours?

Thanks.
Andy.
Give them to the dogs, parrots and chickens!

No, seriously, a neighbor used to foist on us baseball bat-sized zucchini. I would shred some and make fritters. We can't grow them here, but when I buy them, I buy the smallest possible and saute them with garlic, ginger and soy sauce.

I've heard of zucchini jam but never had the courage to make any.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:51 AM

11,463 posts, read 7,583,768 times
Bitter melon.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:37 AM

Speagles84's Garden Update 6/17/2021

Lettuce/Chard - great harvests thus far. My wife and I eat salad daily, haven't bought lettuce since early may!

Tomatoes starting to boom now

Peppers still struggling with the temperatures. Zucchini, Yellow summer, and Spaghetti squash growing VERY fast now

Decided last minute to plant some Pumpkins for Halloween this year

Berries doing well now

Cucumbers growing well too! Need warmer temps though

Old 06-18-2021, 04:34 AM

76,286 posts, read 61,036,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post

Lettuce/Chard - great harvests thus far. My wife and I eat salad daily, haven't bought lettuce since early may!

Decided last minute to plant some Pumpkins for Halloween this year
Yup, I can't believe I never did lettuce before last year. I like putting spinach in our salads too.

If you get some good heat this summer, pumpkins should ripen in time. Depends on the variety though. Smaller ones for sure. Bigger ones maybe not

Old 06-18-2021, 04:53 AM

4,837 posts, read 2,212,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post

Lettuce/Chard - great harvests thus far. My wife and I eat salad daily, haven't bought lettuce since early may..
I started growing lettuce indoors this past winter-- took a 9x11 Al basting pan from the Dollar Store, filled it with 3" of well composted manure and direct seeded Cos lettuce-- used a cheapo $12 LED shop light from Walmart and Viola! lettuce all winter...In fact, it grows better inside than out and I'm giving up on doing it in the garden.

Hard to tell from your pictures-- Is that a few weeds growing up thru your mulched paths, or is it so dry by you, even the weeds won't grow?

BTW- I just read that the weed Lamb's Quarters https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover can be used anywhere you'd use lettuce or spinach---I haven't tried it yet. If there was a market for that stuff, I'd be a millionaire .

Old 06-18-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I started growing lettuce indoors this past winter-- took a 9x11 Al basting pan from the Dollar Store, filled it with 3" of well composted manure and direct seeded Cos lettuce-- used a cheapo $12 LED shop light from Walmart and Viola! lettuce all winter...In fact, it grows better inside than out and I'm giving up on doing it in the garden.

Hard to tell from your pictures-- Is that a few weeds growing up thru your mulched paths, or is it so dry by you, even the weeds won't grow?

BTW- I just read that the weed Lamb's Quarters https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover can be used anywhere you'd use lettuce or spinach---I haven't tried it yet. If there was a market for that stuff, I'd be a millionaire .
Sigh it's actually grass growing up through there. I moved over the winter to a new property, the old couple used to use the large fenced 30'x25' area to garden but gave up like 10 years ago and just had grass growing in there. So in April I ripped out all the grass, but now it seems some survived.

It's a daily struggle to keep it from growing on the veggies I've been ignoring the paths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden