U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2021, 12:01 PM

76,660 posts, read 61,670,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Sigh it's actually grass growing up through there. I moved over the winter to a new property, the old couple used to use the large fenced 30'x25' area to garden but gave up like 10 years ago and just had grass growing in there. So in April I ripped out all the grass, but now it seems some survived.

It's a daily struggle to keep it from growing on the veggies I've been ignoring the paths
Cardboard. Cheapest. Easiest. and Earth friendly. And fun. You'll have to do it every year though cause it breaks down by fall.. but at least you wont use chemicals where food is growing and its only needed for 5 months anyway. Otherwise weed fabric is the best way to go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 12:25 AM

36 posts, read 15,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
Very nice! Like that wheelbarrow/cart too, I have an old school wheelbarrow but it's so tippy when loaded up heavy.

Yeah there is a little bit of a grade to our yard, so I was gonna try to sink them in an inch or two to level them. Will have to see how bad the tree roots are, there are a few big ones I can see at the surface, hopefully if I can cut those out the rest can get busted up with a shovel. I think I will try the cardboard to see how that works. I'm not exactly sure what the ground cover is, but definitely don't want it invading the beds.

I have a compost pile that I started last fall with grass clippings and chopped up leaves, been tossing a few coffee grounds and pulverized eggshells in there. Will also take whatever leaves I have from spring yard cleanup and mix in. Hoping to minimize the amount of soil I have to buy.

Recommendations for the soil layer? Fill it all with dedicated raised bed soil or OK to do a mix of cheaper topsoil and raised bed soil?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Cardboard. Cheapest. Easiest. and Earth friendly. And fun. You'll have to do it every year though cause it breaks down by fall.. but at least you wont use chemicals where food is growing and its only needed for 5 months anyway. Otherwise weed fabric is the best way to go.
Herbicides are not such a bad thing if they are used at least 2 weeks before harvest. They are completely destroyed and do not remain in the food.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:58 AM

42,798 posts, read 53,269,097 times
Pulling out my two measly tomato plants. I give up. On a good day, they struggle, but today the hornworms appeared. Sigh. My herbs and flowers are doing well, so I’ll need to just stick to those.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:23 PM

1,312 posts, read 687,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Pulling out my two measly tomato plants. I give up. On a good day, they struggle, but today the hornworms appeared. Sigh. My herbs and flowers are doing well, so I’ll need to just stick to those.
Oh, I *hate* those nasty little suckers!

I can't seem to figure out what to do about what's eating my bush green beans. I'm getting pretty discouraged. This is my first try at them. I chose to put them in pots to avoid all the slugs & stuff I read about before planting, but even still they seem to attract every type of mite (I think) imaginable. I've harvested a few beans, but the plants look sickly and aren't really producing any more. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 06-23-2021, 09:27 PM

30,102 posts, read 29,763,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I had hornworms for the first time last year. If I see them this year, I'm not going to fight.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:00 AM

42,798 posts, read 53,269,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Oh, I *hate* those nasty little suckers!

I can't seem to figure out what to do about what's eating my bush green beans. I'm getting pretty discouraged. This is my first try at them. I chose to put them in pots to avoid all the slugs & stuff I read about before planting, but even still they seem to attract every type of mite (I think) imaginable. I've harvested a few beans, but the plants look sickly and aren't really producing any more. Anyone have any suggestions?
If you contact you local extension office, give them a soil sample, and show them the bugs you are getting, they will tell you exactly what your soil needs for healthy beans. There are safe pesticides for vegetable, as a last resort.

For example, I learned that the way to beat squash beetles here in GA, is to plant the squash earlier. By the time the squash beetles appear, you will have already harvested.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:47 AM

4,141 posts, read 4,191,221 times
Speagles84's Garden Update 6/17/2021

Lettuce/Chard - So many good meals from these plants this season, very happy with their progress. Lettuce probably will die in the coming weeks making room for the Pumpkins to go in the ground

Berry Patch - Plants are growing and healthy, got some Strawberries this week, although a jerk Chipmunk managed to get in under the thin netting and stole some

Pumpkins - Growing fast!

Tomatoes - very healthy, growing fast! Got some cherry tomatoes on the vine now

Cucumbers - starting to flower, wont be long now!

Peppers - FINALLY, after months of no growth, finally starting to grow quickly!

Squashes - Getting huge, saw my first couple flowers pop up! Everything is starting to produce, at least all this heat is good for SOMETHING

Old 07-01-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Pumpkins - Growing fast!

Cucumbers - starting to flower, wont be long now!

Peppers - FINALLY, after months of no growth, finally starting to grow quickly!

Squashes - Getting huge, saw my first couple flowers pop up! Everything is starting to produce, at least all this heat is good for SOMETHING
YUP! The heat loving plants. Soil temp 4" down now upper 70s and that's when things go BOOM. When soil temp drops below 72 they slow down. Thanks for the pics. Love it!

Old 07-01-2021, 06:51 AM

4,141 posts, read 4,191,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
YUP! The heat loving plants. Soil temp 4" down now upper 70s and that's when things go BOOM. When soil temp drops below 72 they slow down. Thanks for the pics. Love it!
Yup! Always enjoy seeing your pics and progress as well! I went on a weeding crusade the past week and a half lol got most of them out. 700sq feet garden is tough to keep weed free even for a 29 year old

Old 07-01-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Yup! Always enjoy seeing your pics and progress as well! I went on a weeding crusade the past week and a half lol got most of them out. 700sq feet garden is tough to keep weed free even for a 29 year old
Don't get me started on weeds. Lol. Mulch and or fabric is a life saver. Both even better. And at 46yrs old I need to simplify weed control.

I started gardening when I was your age. My grandfather got me into it. It's therapeutic. I took 1 yr off since. Maybe 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden