Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 05:23 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,098,845 times

Advertisements

Counting the days.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 05:26 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,098,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
Quick question: Can I put cedar mulch around my vegetable plants to cut down on weeding? I did a search on the forum but nothing came up.
Ruth Stout. She's dead now, but she used straw as mulch. I use leaf mulch with straw on top. The leaves are composted for a year before spreading them over the garden. This is my best year yet. Lots of rain has surely helped.

Ruth Stout' s System

I know, people will say my corn is planted too close. I don't care. I've got the nutrients in the soil. Trying to thin it now is useless. It's harder to pull out than the oak seedlings that keep popping up all over.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:16 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,451,991 times
Question: I planted some tomato plants in planters this year. After finishing the last pot, I was throwing the bag of organic vegetable planting soil away and noticed on the bag it said, "Not To Be Used in Planters."

Why not?

Old 06-11-2009, 11:12 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Question: I planted some tomato plants in planters this year. After finishing the last pot, I was throwing the bag of organic vegetable planting soil away and noticed on the bag it said, "Not To Be Used in Planters." Why not?
Hi redbird~~~good to see you in the veggie garden thread!

My guess would be due to not good enough aeration in the containers unless you have holes drilled in the containers to allow for that. Fungus tends to grow quicker in container gardening due to lack of aeration, too much watering, different types of soil in the same container etc. I have only grown potatoes in containers, I am lucky enough to have plenty of space for a full garden here.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Hi redbird~~~good to see you in the veggie garden thread!

My guess would be due to not good enough aeration in the containers unless you have holes drilled in the containers to allow for that. Fungus tends to grow quicker in container gardening due to lack of aeration, too much watering, different types of soil in the same container etc. I have only grown potatoes in containers, I am lucky enough to have plenty of space for a full garden here.
Hey Jax,

Thanks for the response. Hmm, guess I should have stuck with the cheap potting soil instead of the "organic". I never knew there was such a wide variety of dirt to be had nowadays.

I will have to think of a way to monitor my mater plants for fungi.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:58 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,380,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Hey Jax,

Thanks for the response. Hmm, guess I should have stuck with the cheap potting soil instead of the "organic". I never knew there was such a wide variety of dirt to be had nowadays.

I will have to think of a way to monitor my mater plants for fungi.
I've bought the same stuff and planted my tomatoes in it the last few years. No problems here. BUT I'm planting in contractor buckets with holes drilled into the bottom and along the sides of the bottom. I know some people build their own potting mix using that soil, some sand and something else (maybe peat?) and it works out cheaper for them. Sand can be had free where I'm at, most of the soil is sandy! I would think if it starts to look a little funky, to just mix in some sand as best as you can and that should help.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:57 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,620,831 times
I understand that watering in the evenings fosters fungus. We always try to water in the early morning, so that the plants can dry off during the day.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:28 AM

We have had so much rain since March, I just never got around to roto-tilling. And we have an excellent place for the pots. Thought we would try this.

Besides, last year I lost the battle to weeds. Hate to admit it, but my watermelons were a fiasco. My maters were inundated with grass.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:22 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,577,631 times
We have been getting alot of rain. My tomato plants have tomatos on them, but some of them, just don`t look so good.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:42 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,138,439 times
Any one use fish emulsion fertilizer? I got some yesterday,& I swear my pumpkins,broccoli,beans,squash,etc have shot up overnight! Several new leaves & flowers virtually over night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden