Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2022, 07:48 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times

Advertisements

I only brought in the asparagus and eggplant trays tonight for the heat mat. Everything else is hardened off and I only move under a roof for rains. I start from seed because I'm a variety snob. I am real picky after some research and having proved certain varieties that the places that sell plants don't have. Buss words for what they sell mean absolutely nothing to my taste buds and wallet. I have a 10x28 greenhouse picked out I should have put up before the end of summer and plan on having a lot more varieties and types of vegetables up and going on time next year. I want to use it to keep a few squash, cukes, and tomatoes going over the winter for kitchen use. It will probably have to have 4 hours a day of LED grow lights but that's not a deal breaker. I have not investigated a solar panel setup to keep it illuminated on cloudy days. I can keep it from freezing with a propane style shop heater. I've waited years to play like this and will make the most of every possible day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 07:09 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I only brought in the asparagus and eggplant trays tonight for the heat mat. Everything else is hardened off and I only move under a roof for rains. I start from seed because I'm a variety snob. I am real picky after some research and having proved certain varieties that the places that sell plants don't have. Buss words for what they sell mean absolutely nothing to my taste buds and wallet. I have a 10x28 greenhouse picked out I should have put up before the end of summer and plan on having a lot more varieties and types of vegetables up and going on time next year. I want to use it to keep a few squash, cukes, and tomatoes going over the winter for kitchen use. It will probably have to have 4 hours a day of LED grow lights but that's not a deal breaker. I have not investigated a solar panel setup to keep it illuminated on cloudy days. I can keep it from freezing with a propane style shop heater. I've waited years to play like this and will make the most of every possible day.

I have a seed issue. Like I need professional help. It appeals to my frugalness and my love of food variety. I buy a lot of seeds for stuff I couldn't purchase easily... radicchio, endive, frisse, mache, okra, yellow cukes and weird varieties of stuff.

My greenhouse wouldn't keep summer plants alive through winter, but it can extend the life of the cold hardy plants. We need power in it to get it to be more useful, they temp ranges from 120 (or something cause that's as high as it goes), and will eventually cool to the temp of the overnight low...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-13-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have a seed issue. Like I need professional help. It appeals to my frugalness and my love of food variety. I buy a lot of seeds for stuff I couldn't purchase easily... radicchio, endive, frisse, mache, okra, yellow cukes and weird varieties of stuff.

My greenhouse wouldn't keep summer plants alive through winter, but it can extend the life of the cold hardy plants. We need power in it to get it to be more useful, they temp ranges from 120 (or something cause that's as high as it goes), and will eventually cool to the temp of the overnight low...
There are dyes that can be used over clear tops to filter out some of the heat. Ventilation fans need to be at both ends where possible and power is a much for both seed heating mats and ventilation. You may want to look here for some ideas. Before we left TN we stopped in one day and were impressed. When I can find the link again for the propane heater I'll post a link for that too.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:39 AM

I had put up a shade cloth and it helped. With our weather the greenhouse seems best used as a kinda cold frame and heat source for various plants at various times. I may try to grow some fall vegs at the end of the year and put them in there.... But we aren't home much in summer so usually what I set up early is what I get.

It's a pain when you get 80 degree days in the same week it snows.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I had put up a shade cloth and it helped. With our weather the greenhouse seems best used as a kinda cold frame and heat source for various plants at various times. I may try to grow some fall vegs at the end of the year and put them in there.... But we aren't home much in summer so usually what I set up early is what I get.
We have the benefit of being retired or at least were but this 4+ acre spread may me new careers for both of us.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
We have the benefit of being retired or at least were but this 4+ acre spread may me new careers for both of us.
LOL. We are retired too, otherwise this would not be happening.

Four acres is WAY more than we could handle. We have 2 acres, landscaped, that is a hobby itself. Small vegetable area that we are expanding. We could grow more but the ground squirrels are ruthless. Working on it little by little.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
LOL. We are retired too, otherwise this would not be happening.

Four acres is WAY more than we could handle. We have 2 acres, landscaped, that is a hobby itself. Small vegetable area that we are expanding. We could grow more but the ground squirrels are ruthless. Working on it little by little.
We've added 100 thornless blackberries, 24 blueberries, 9 kiwi, 2 lemons, 2 satsumas, 2 figs, 1 loquat, 1 full size banana tree and once more are available around 40 Muscadine grapes to start. Gardenias, camellias, azaleas, and a few more will be the floral part of the landscape to go with a half acre of vegetables that we will eat fresh, can, and freeze as well as donate locally. I have promised the Mrs. that I will not plant 500 tomatoes ever again. I think a hundred will do. I just like to grow tomatoes. One thing I am so happy to get to grow again is Fordhook Lima beans and zipper cream peas. The way we go through pickled beets there will be a separate beet garden in raised beds. Bending takes a toll so raised beds will be gradually incorporated into the gardening areas. I think I need to shop for a compact tractor with a rototiller on the back and a bucket on the front.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
We've added 100 thornless blackberries, 24 blueberries, 9 kiwi, 2 lemons, 2 satsumas, 2 figs, 1 loquat, 1 full size banana tree and once more are available around 40 Muscadine grapes to start. Gardenias, camellias, azaleas, and a few more will be the floral part of the landscape to go with a half acre of vegetables that we will eat fresh, can, and freeze as well as donate locally. I have promised the Mrs. that I will not plant 500 tomatoes ever again. I think a hundred will do. I just like to grow tomatoes. One thing I am so happy to get to grow again is Fordhook Lima beans and zipper cream peas. The way we go through pickled beets there will be a separate beet garden in raised beds. Bending takes a toll so raised beds will be gradually incorporated into the gardening areas. I think I need to shop for a compact tractor with a rototiller on the back and a bucket on the front.
Dude.

Old 04-13-2022, 02:45 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,212,297 times
Quote:
When can I come get some zipper cream peas - I love them!!!

Old 04-13-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
When can I come get some zipper cream peas - I love them!!!
We may have people picking on shares eventually. Got home a few ago to find the 200 sweet potatoes here. Got them standing in water until mulch comes in Friday and I can get a ridge built on Saturday. We will use a lot of mulch so I got 1200' x 4' wide while I was at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden