Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2022, 09:31 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

You can look up your zone on line, and go from there. Mine is 6B so last frost is June 4th. I'll plant my seeds around 5/15 to 5/20, depending on the weather forecast.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 09:53 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
This is the first year of being here in Ohio that I plan to plant a veggie garden. Back in the Pacific NW, I never planted tomatoes, etc until the first of June...is that about the same here? Is it ok to plant out wildflower seeds now? I just uncovered and put down compost/manure on my plot. Would love to know from those with experience in this area if my timing is right! I am in NE Ohio. Thanks for any tips!
You can usually put out wildflower seeds pretty early. I am in zone 5 and I think you are in zone 6. I already planted early veggies. The last frost date here is May 15, so I went ahead and put out the seeds meant for planting 4-6 weeks before the last frost. I think you should be nearing the last frost date now. Keep an eye out and go ahead and plant everything that is meant to be planted before the last frost now.

Old 04-27-2022, 02:32 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
This is the first year of being here in Ohio that I plan to plant a veggie garden. Back in the Pacific NW, I never planted tomatoes, etc until the first of June...is that about the same here? Is it ok to plant out wildflower seeds now? I just uncovered and put down compost/manure on my plot. Would love to know from those with experience in this area if my timing is right! I am in NE Ohio. Thanks for any tips!
You are pretty far North in Ohio, zone 6B? I am in 6A.

This year has been abnormally cold, most years ground temps are up to 60F or above by May 1, and usually we'd transplant tomatoes around Mother's Day or the week before. Rule of thumb is at least 60F ground temp during the day to plant tomatoes. Otherwise they just sit there until it gets warm enough to grow.

I just measured ground temps here and they are still ~50F. So I doubt we will plant tomatoes here until after Mother's Day this year (May 8). We had frost here this morning!

Not sure about planting wildflowers. I would imagine those are pretty hardy, already seeing wildflowers emerging in the woods around here (May Apple, Dutchman's Breeches).

Old 04-27-2022, 03:11 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Decided to start more flowers from seeds after seeing some prices out there and how many I need. I can use like 100 around the property.

Being its still winter here I feel like I have a lot of time to do this. lol

Old 04-27-2022, 03:26 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I got off to a late start here in central CT because it hasn't seemed like spring. Finally got my beets, tomatoes, and nasturtiums planted and all but the nasturtiums have already germinated. Off they go to the windowsill for some light!

Got my stargazer lilies in yesterday but they don't really count as they are flowering bulbs. In a way they DO count because with my teeny garden space I have to get the flowers in first because the vacant spaces will determine where the vegetables will go. Some container vegetables will go on the balcony but it isn't time yet--probably will use some leftover summer squash seeds from last year.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:13 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You are pretty far North in Ohio, zone 6B? I am in 6A.

This year has been abnormally cold, most years ground temps are up to 60F or above by May 1, and usually we'd transplant tomatoes around Mother's Day or the week before. Rule of thumb is at least 60F ground temp during the day to plant tomatoes. Otherwise they just sit there until it gets warm enough to grow.

I just measured ground temps here and they are still ~50F. So I doubt we will plant tomatoes here until after Mother's Day this year (May 8). We had frost here this morning!

Not sure about planting wildflowers. I would imagine those are pretty hardy, already seeing wildflowers emerging in the woods around here (May Apple, Dutchman's Breeches).
Thanks to everyone for the info! Was 30 degrees this morning at 7 a.m.! Just a bit nippy! Will plan on putting the wildflower seeds in today and definitely hold off on the tomatoes!

Old 04-29-2022, 06:02 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the info! Was 30 degrees this morning at 7 a.m.! Just a bit nippy! Will plan on putting the wildflower seeds in today and definitely hold off on the tomatoes!
Definitely. Rule of thumb for tomatoes is Mothers Day is safe time period to transplant, which is usually Mid May.

Lessons learned over the years for putting them out too early. They got stunted or damaged in early-mid May. For you it should be little after since you're further north. Especially with how the pattern is going, I'd be scared to put them out early. Only 1 out of last 12 days with an above normal max temp. Only 10 in last 33 days. Past 12 yrs 2nd half of April been trending colder here.

Old 04-29-2022, 07:02 AM

463 posts, read 285,892 times
Quote:
Looks like you are probably in Zone 6...I am in 5b and don't plant tomatoes etc until 1st week of June.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:11 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Looks like you are probably in Zone 6...I am in 5b and don't plant tomatoes etc until 1st week of June.
Looks like I'm in 6B....will definitely hold off on tomatoes and peppers until June. Funny, I was thinking when I moved here, what with the hot summers, I could get all kinds of plants in the ground early...guess not!

Old 04-29-2022, 09:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Definitely. Rule of thumb for tomatoes is Mothers Day is safe time period to transplant, which is usually Mid May.

Lessons learned over the years for putting them out too early. They got stunted or damaged in early-mid May. For you it should be little after since you're further north. Especially with how the pattern is going, I'd be scared to put them out early. Only 1 out of last 12 days with an above normal max temp. Only 10 in last 33 days. Past 12 yrs 2nd half of April been trending colder here.
Here in 8B we have been at about 40F in the early morning, and 60s by afternoon. Normally I wait until Mother's Day but I may be planting in the greenhouse (unheated) this weekend. My cucumber and zucchini starts from seed in the house with grow light are already showing tiny flower and fruit buds. I'll check the soil
temperature in the early morning but if it's near 50F in they go. Then I'll watch the forecast, if it shows a cold day I can always put a heater in there for a day or two and close up the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden