Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2022, 04:41 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Man I love looking back at my threads. I urge everyone to do their own thread.. It's like a diary!

Check out June 1, 2018 vs June 2, 2022.

For those wondering... The lack of sun and the constant wetness that spring was insane. ~ 70hrs of sun in 20 days at that point in 2018.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/52065935-post119.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 09:45 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Almost done with the trellis for the raspberries.

We have a martin house in the background- we put it in 10 years ago and never have seen a martin. Swallows take up residence every year. After they've moved out we're going to move it to the corner between the trellis and the haskaps- closer to the house. We love those buggers- the fly right by your head eating bugs. I’ve felt their wind on my face as they swoop by- they get that close!

Still plugging away at putting in a stone walk and small stone patio from the house to the garden. Have to dig gingerly because of the irrigation lines. Using my sons labor while he’s on a 2 month break between undergrad and grad school.

We will be tapping into the irrigation system and running the garden on it's own zone. If you can picture- there will be main distribution lines affixed to the top of the 6x6 raised bed timbers. They will be on the uphill side of each bed- running across. Each of those distribution mains will have 6-8 flexible drip lines connected with 1/4 turn valves. That way we can manually control water to plants that need more and those that need it less. It will be nice not to have to manually set up the overhead sprinkler and simply program the brainbox to do it's thing. A little spendy to set up but we plan on many years of use.

Last edited by Threerun; 06-05-2022 at 10:46 AM..

Old 06-06-2022, 10:08 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
I’m gardening in SWFL, zone 10b. I have a little patch in the back of our shed growing luffa and Seminole pumpkins that are vining it out with each other on an arch and there are a few okra down below them. I have two raised beds, one with bush sweet potatoes and I just planted okra seeds in the other.

Arch battleground

Luffa

Seminole pumpkin

Okra

I’m training another Seminole pumpkin vine to go up two Chapman oaks. It was an extra seedling and needed to go somewhere. Welcome to the jungle.

I have Everglades tomatoes wherever I have put our compost down. DH told me there was a Roma tomato growing under our banana tree. I went to look and the banana tree has bananas.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-06-2022 at 10:21 AM..

Old 06-07-2022, 04:25 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Loving the pictures guys! Keep em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Almost done with the trellis for the raspberries.

If we were closer I would give you some of my old deck boards. Im sure you can use it somewhere there. I'm replacing my deck and finding a use for the old boards (firewood, garden paths, raised beds, ect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I’m gardening in SWFL, zone 10b.
You can tell things are tropical there. lol

Old 06-07-2022, 10:03 PM

I would take you up on that. There's always something to do at Crooked Garden.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:14 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I’m gardening in SWFL, zone 10b. I have a little patch in the back of our shed growing luffa and Seminole pumpkins that are vining it out with each other on an arch and there are a few okra down below them. I have two raised beds, one with bush sweet potatoes and I just planted okra seeds in the other.

Arch battleground

Luffa

Seminole pumpkin

Okra

I’m training another Seminole pumpkin vine to go up two Chapman oaks. It was an extra seedling and needed to go somewhere. Welcome to the jungle.

I have Everglades tomatoes wherever I have put our compost down. DH told me there was a Roma tomato growing under our banana tree. I went to look and the banana tree has bananas.
Can't rep you again yet, but that's fantastic!

Old 06-10-2022, 03:11 PM

We got the guts of the garden irrigation system in and and wired up to the brainbox. The garden is now its' own 'zone'. Set for every other day, 45 minutes run time to start.

We just have to finish up running lines to the rest of the beds and decide what gets drip and what get's misters/and or drips. We're not going to run the main lines on top of timbers, we opted to run them along them. Each zone has a quarter turn on/off valve and we can, if needed, install flow valves on each drip line. We'll not install those unless needed. It's going to be nice to not have to run hoses and overhead sprinklers any longer. Weeding will be a little more cumbersome, but we'll get used to it.

Last edited by Threerun; 06-10-2022 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-10-2022, 06:05 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,401,719 times
That's not a garden—-that's a farm!

Old 06-10-2022, 08:15 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
Threerun, that’s a great little project you have going on there. Keep us updated on the garden.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
That's not a garden—-that's a farm!
Nah c'mon- they are small veggie beds. No tractors used other than dumping manure and top soil in the beds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Threerun, that’s a great little project you have going on there. Keep us updated on the garden.
It'll take a little trial and error but I think we can get it dialed in this year. The nice thing is if it's really hot- I can just program the garden zone to get water every day instead of every other day, or extend the time from 45 minutes to 1 hour and so forth. So we can measure soil moisture depth and drive it that way..

We'll work on it this weekend- I've got to get some 1/2" pipe clamps to secure the lines and then run hose. After that- build the stone walk and get the yard back to normal. Always something to do....

Last edited by Threerun; 06-10-2022 at 09:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden