Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 12:52 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,577,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Any one use fish emulsion fertilizer? I got some yesterday,& I swear my pumpkins,broccoli,beans,squash,etc have shot up overnight! Several new leaves & flowers virtually over night!
Where did you buy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 05:57 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,138,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Where did you buy it?
I got mine at Wal Mart.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:39 PM

7 posts, read 22,830 times
I have also crushed egg shells for my roses. I love vege gardening and so do my children. We grow tomatoes( beef steak and cherry), cucumbers, zucchini, green peppers, hot peppers, onions, rosemary, basil, parsley, green beans, yellow beans, broccoli. One year to save some space because we wanted to plant corn we planted green bean seed and the corn seeds together. It worked really well! my neighbors were impressed and so was I! I had such a problem though that year with Japanese beetles. Does anyone else? What works for you? They went after my grape vines, green bean foliage, and roses. None in sight yet this year but my kids wanted pumpkins this year and I have small black and yellow beetles eating away at the leaves. Love gardening but hate the bugs!!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:41 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,658,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee11229 View Post
None in sight yet this year but my kids wanted pumpkins this year and I have small black and yellow beetles eating away at the leaves. Love gardening but hate the bugs!!
Those are cucumber beetles. They will destroy an entire plant within a day, if you don't treat them. Cucumber Beetles | University of Kentucky Entomology

Old 06-19-2009, 09:01 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,306,438 times
So I was in the garden today pulling weeds and wondering, "I wonder what everyone else's most prolific weeds are?" Besides grass I mean. And I was wondering, "I wonder if anyone has a tough time pulling some of these weeds?"

We get a lot of lambs quarters. Its hard to pull those cause they are so good in salads. I like to let them grow just enough to get some leaves for a salad. I am thinking I am going to collect some seeds and just cultivate them next year so we'll still have plenty to munch on and we won't feel so bad yanking them from other places. Another one I have a hard time pulling is milkweed. They have such pretty flowers!

We get more plantain, lambs quarters, and dandelion than anything else. We even pull more lambs quarters than grass!

We're harvesting radishes already and have had a yummy salad with some young lettuce, radishes, and lambs quarters. ~~Mmm~~!

Old 06-19-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
We have been getting alot of rain. My tomato plants have tomatos on them, but some of them, just don`t look so good.
What do they look like?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:48 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,419,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
So I was in the garden today pulling weeds and wondering, "I wonder what everyone else's most prolific weeds are?" Besides grass I mean. And I was wondering, "I wonder if anyone has a tough time pulling some of these weeds?"

We get a lot of lambs quarters. Its hard to pull those cause they are so good in salads. I like to let them grow just enough to get some leaves for a salad. I am thinking I am going to collect some seeds and just cultivate them next year so we'll still have plenty to munch on and we won't feel so bad yanking them from other places. Another one I have a hard time pulling is milkweed. They have such pretty flowers!

We get more plantain, lambs quarters, and dandelion than anything else. We even pull more lambs quarters than grass!

We're harvesting radishes already and have had a yummy salad with some young lettuce, radishes, and lambs quarters. ~~Mmm~~!
Lambs quarters - check! I never knew thy could be used in salads - ! Do you prepare them in any way? We've added them to soups as early greens.

Milkweed... looked hard at the images No, I don't believe we have them.

Plantain - check! Very persistent plant, - it's good though as the "band-aide" for kids' scrapes.

Dandelion - check and grrrrrrrrrrr Kids love blowing the white fuzzies and all I can see is the wind blowing in the direction of my garden It was said to be good in salads and soups, too - however, could never get rid of the bitterness???

Sorrel - the "sour leaves" that's so yammy raw and cooked. I feel guilty pulling it out. I tried to cultivate it instead of spinach, but it didn't take the re-planting. Maybe from seeds.

I wish we had nettles!!! The young shoots are good in soups, and the best organic pest spray is made from nettles rotting in a barrel of water for a while.

Other weeds we have - common yellow wood sorrel, shepherd's purse, thistle.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:01 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
Wow you guys know a lot more about weeds than me certainly. If it is green growing between my rows or veggie plants it gets yanked out if it isn't a veggie.

I do know we whack down our milkweed in the ditches because those little buggers can stop up an A/C unit quick when not aware of them floating through the air.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:12 AM

The leaves can be added just like spinach. I just wash them and toss them in.

In our yard we also have tons of pineapple weed, which I plan on drying some and using like its German relative, chamomile. We have sorrel, burdock, yellowdock, shepards purse, mullein, green amaranth, cow parsnip, goldenrod, and yarrow. We also have one that I don't know exactly what it is. It's a wild pea of some sort. Seems to me in the back of my mind that I recall finding out what it was cause it was near where the kids play but just out of reach of the mower. I believe i pulled it cause it was poisonous or maybe I did so just in case. I just pull them now cause it would be very easy for the kids to see the peas growing, taste some and then think that this plant is ok.

We don't eat any of the nettle. We have so much of it growing that you can't step anywhere without getting a sticker in your foot if you dare go out without shoes. So I have my hand trowel I go around and dig them up and toss them out of the yard.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:07 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,443,520 times
I got a few pepper plants at the mid-end of april. They have grown really tall now, but when can I expect the peppers themselves to actually show up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden