Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 06:29 PM

187 posts, read 949,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I got a few pepper plants at the mid-end of april. They have grown really tall now, but when can I expect the peppers themselves to actually show up?
I started my peppers from seed on March 15. In the past 3 weeks we have begun to take some peppers. Even the plants that are just 6 inches tall may have peppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Lambs quarters - check! I never knew thy could be used in salads - ! Do you prepare them in any way? We've added them to soups as early greens.

Milkweed... looked hard at the images No, I don't believe we have them.

Plantain - check! Very persistent plant, - it's good though as the "band-aide" for kids' scrapes.

Dandelion - check and grrrrrrrrrrr Kids love blowing the white fuzzies and all I can see is the wind blowing in the direction of my garden It was said to be good in salads and soups, too - however, could never get rid of the bitterness???

Sorrel - the "sour leaves" that's so yammy raw and cooked. I feel guilty pulling it out. I tried to cultivate it instead of spinach, but it didn't take the re-planting. Maybe from seeds.

I wish we had nettles!!! The young shoots are good in soups, and the best organic pest spray is made from nettles rotting in a barrel of water for a while.

Other weeds we have - common yellow wood sorrel, shepherd's purse, thistle.
I'm so heartbroken. I had a work injury last week and cut off a couple fingers. It's taken a lot of effort to keep up with work and family so the garden is suffering. Sure hope to join you all back here real soon.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 PM

45,320 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Look of shock and surprise. Were the fingers able to be re-attached?

Old 06-23-2009, 07:29 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAbsolute View Post
I'm so heartbroken. I had a work injury last week and cut off a couple fingers. It's taken a lot of effort to keep up with work and family so the garden is suffering. Sure hope to join you all back here real soon.
No way!! Which fingers they were? And yes, were they able to re-attach??????

Old 06-24-2009, 12:37 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
So sorry to hear this yes take the time for your healing with your family. You are still working?

Our garden has grown more weeds than most anything else it seems with all the rain we have had. Those suckers are coming up right through the straw mulch we put down, I have never had that happen before. We need some really hot days stretched together to get our plants going.

Green beans have pods on them but the plants themselves came up sparingly after 2 plantings. Tomatoes are growing tall but very few blooms, cukes and squash are vining nicely hope to have lots of blossoms. We did get 3 kohlrabi out of the garden tonight.

Now if those pesky weeds would just go away we were out there until almost 10pm tonight!

Old 06-24-2009, 05:10 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope you're feeling better. My Dad severed his thumb a few weeks ago - they re-attached it and it's healed over really nicely. He still doesn't have much feeling in it - but it could just take time.

Can you recruit the family to help in the garden? I used to get away with paying the neighbor kids to pull weeds, made it a game with money to get ice cream from the ice cream man after - what could be better?

Old 06-24-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
No way!! Which fingers they were? And yes, were they able to re-attach??????
They didn't re-attach and I'm real upset by it. As odds go I was on borrowed time anyhow. I never graduated from a hands on builder to an executive builder.

During the past week it was about 97 degrees everyday with no rain. I took care of the watering like clock work but, it missed 4 or 5 days after the accident.

My six year old can't wait to check the garden every morning at 7:30. The others will help but need to be told exactly what to do.

Are there any new vegetables that I can start from seed in July in North Florida?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:48 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Shucks.... My hubby is a hands-on builder, too, so we have all those sharpey tools around. He likes to build and "tinker" by himself, too, - no bosses above and he's no boss, unless an occasional laborer.

Found this website:

Florida's Soils and Growing Zones

It doesn't exactly say WHAT you can plant in July, but in my personal experience - I can't make peppers grow, too cold for them here. I had about 75 sweet pepper seedlings and planted them out in the beginning of June - they almost all are gone... Got yellow, shivering, too cold in the nights. I started chili peppers again indoors - maybe will transplant in July in hotter weather.

The thing is, I personally would can some tomatoes, but my most effort would go to making salsas and mixed veggies preserves - I needs lots of sweet and hot peppers for that,.. - the winters are long, need lots of salsa. We definitely need a greenhouse for these sun-lovin' veggies.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Shucks.... My hubby is a hands-on builder, too, so we have all those sharpey tools around. He likes to build and "tinker" by himself, too, - no bosses above and he's no boss, unless an occasional laborer.

Found this website:

Florida's Soils and Growing Zones

It doesn't exactly say WHAT you can plant in July, but in my personal experience - I can't make peppers grow, too cold for them here. I had about 75 sweet pepper seedlings and planted them out in the beginning of June - they almost all are gone... Got yellow, shivering, too cold in the nights. I started chili peppers again indoors - maybe will transplant in July in hotter weather.

The thing is, I personally would can some tomatoes, but my most effort would go to making salsas and mixed veggies preserves - I needs lots of sweet and hot peppers for that,.. - the winters are long, need lots of salsa. We definitely need a greenhouse for these sun-lovin' veggies.
Thanks Nuala. I started some green beans from seed a couple weeks ago next to the existing corn. They are about 6 to 8 inshes tall and are running up the stalks with their vines.

Does anyone remember how long you can keep a tomato plant alive?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,471 times
Yesterday was my biggest collection from my little garden. I got 18 cherry tomatoes and 3 jalapenos, yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden