Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 05:25 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,306,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAbsolute View Post
I'm so heartbroken. I had a work injury last week and cut off a couple fingers. It's taken a lot of effort to keep up with work and family so the garden is suffering. Sure hope to join you all back here real soon.
OWWW!!! We are thinking about you. Sure hope you get to feeling better soon. Take care of yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 05:29 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,306,438 times
Well I had been all worried about my black and crispy tomato plants after our last frost but they are thriving now. I'm surprised because we both were sure they were lost. We got lucky and they are bushing out nicely.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,114,535 times
flik_becky glad your tomato plants are rebounding.

Our green bean plants are loaded with blooms, tomatoes have tiny maters on them, cukes & squash looking good so far. We have had kohlrabi twice a few more will be ready in a day or two. Bell peppers have little nubs too.

Rains and storms coming back to us on Sunday.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:16 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,419,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAbsolute View Post
Does anyone remember how long you can keep a tomato plant alive?
Until it keeps bearing healthy fruit?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:22 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,451,991 times
Our maters are having a fairly successful growth right now. We opted for planters as May was one big long rain storm here in Oklahoma.

Did not plant the maters until 2 weeks ago. I have them inside an enclosed kennel that we have used for our dogs when one goes into heat. (We live in a rural area.)

Out of 13 tomato plants, one appears to be turning very light green, almost yellow! Sort of a slow agonizing death. They have partial shade, and I am thinking the 100+ temps are really hard on them.

Hopefully, we will get a few tomatoes out of the rest.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:36 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,280,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Our maters are having a fairly successful growth right now. We opted for planters as May was one big long rain storm here in Oklahoma.

Did not plant the maters until 2 weeks ago. I have them inside an enclosed kennel that we have used for our dogs when one goes into heat. (We live in a rural area.)

Out of 13 tomato plants, one appears to be turning very light green, almost yellow! Sort of a slow agonizing death. They have partial shade, and I am thinking the 100+ temps are really hard on them.

Hopefully, we will get a few tomatoes out of the rest.
I have tons and tons of green tomatoes on my plants, but the only ones turning red are the ones at the bottom of the plants that are shaded and protected fromt he sun. I don't know if the ones exposed to the sunlight will ever turn red.. it must just be too hot. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2009, 04:05 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,451,991 times
Well, thank you Jaxson. I just went out and looked at my 12 tomato plants.

It seems the design of the pots I bought has a really strange drainage design. They don't drain unless you have an inch of water on the bottom of the pot! They have their own drainage pan built into them.

Which means I would have to stand there and pour water on them forever before the water comes out.

So I tipped each pot 45 degrees and could not believe how much water came out of each pot!! Who knows, maybe these pots were designed for inside-the-house plants.

Anyway, I could almost hear the tomato plants calling out thank you's to me as I tipped each one over to allow the water to drain.

I mean literally, the tomato plants were sending thank you vibes. Never had that happen before.

(I know, I am weird. You can ask Jaxson!)

Old 06-26-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Well, thank you Jaxson. I just went out and looked at my 12 tomato plants.
You're very welcome! From the picture you showed us your pots do look a little on the small side. Have any empty 5 gallon buckets you can tranplant them in? Glad you found the drainage problem leave them in the sun to dry out the soil then water them in the evenings I have found works best.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:30 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,275,117 times
Hi all. I love hearing about all of your gardening adventures and advice. My first plants are coming up. So far I have some peppers, yellow squash, very small cucumbers, and I saw my first tomato today. The beans are staring to sprout.

I am very excited. Even though I can't pick anything I can see things growing. So cool. Can you tell I've never grown anything before, lol.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Hi all. I love hearing about all of your gardening adventures and advice. My first plants are coming up. So far I have some peppers, yellow squash, very small cucumbers, and I saw my first tomato today. The beans are staring to sprout.

I am very excited. Even though I can't pick anything I can see things growing. So cool. Can you tell I've never grown anything before, lol.

Thanks for sharing.
That is great you are seeing fruit from your labors it is cool to know you brought it to full life when eating those veggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden