Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2022, 07:52 AM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times

Advertisements

Those red peppers look delicious! Are those pepperoncini peppers?

Ours really don't get a chance to ripen red on the vine, but they are tasty. We're trying two variations of pickling them, one with a TBSP of olive oil in the pint one without. We're also trying a hot pack with NO processing time- just pour hot pickling brine and seal the jar. We'll see how they turn out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 10:38 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Awesome collection of harvests! Save it so you can look back at your seasons.

You guys are making me regret not doing much. If all keeps going well with my back, I'll be back.

Old 09-12-2022, 11:08 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Wow Memph, that is a lot with a “little suburban garden” - brilliant me did not label all of m y beds so I had a few with total mystery items. I did okay, but mostly with the squash plants that took over everything. Now mostly have some cucumbers, volunteer squash, and a pumpkin still going. I got so many zucchini. Going to do better next year and put in fewer squash. This was my first attempt, so honestly it wasn’t a bad run. I got some beets and radishes as well.

Old 09-12-2022, 11:43 AM

Man I love roasted beets and radishes. One of my favorite dishes.

Old 09-12-2022, 03:31 PM

5,897 posts, read 6,100,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Those red peppers look delicious! Are those pepperoncini peppers?

Ours really don't get a chance to ripen red on the vine, but they are tasty. We're trying two variations of pickling them, one with a TBSP of olive oil in the pint one without. We're also trying a hot pack with NO processing time- just pour hot pickling brine and seal the jar. We'll see how they turn out.
Mix of shishi-to (silly censors) and pepperoncini, which look identical to me.

I planted my peppers later than I could have, and they still ripened in time, so maybe with the right variety you'd have a chance?

Time to turn red from date of transplanting into the ground:

Time Bomb: 65 days
Jimmy Nardello: 68 days
Roulette: 72 days (a heatless habanero, and my favourite variety, very unique floral flavour)
Cajun Belle: 77 days (a nursery plant rather than one I started myself, so I think transplant shock was a bit worse)
Criola de Cocina: 91 days (might have been faster if not for poblano peppers outpacing it and growing over it)
Holy Italian: 91 days

I also overwintered some shepherd peppers, from which I was able to harvest red fruit 33 days before the Time Bomb peppers (Jul 13 vs Aug 15). They now seem to be gearing up for a massive second flush.

My green peppers took 57-60 days to be harvestable for comparison.

Old 09-12-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Mix of shishi-to (silly censors) and pepperoncini, which look identical to me.

I planted my peppers later than I could have, and they still ripened in time, so maybe with the right variety you'd have a chance?

Time to turn red from date of transplanting into the ground:

Time Bomb: 65 days
Jimmy Nardello: 68 days
Roulette: 72 days (a heatless habanero, and my favourite variety, very unique floral flavour)
Cajun Belle: 77 days (a nursery plant rather than one I started myself, so I think transplant shock was a bit worse)
Criola de Cocina: 91 days (might have been faster if not for poblano peppers outpacing it and growing over it)
Holy Italian: 91 days

I also overwintered some shepherd peppers, from which I was able to harvest red fruit 33 days before the Time Bomb peppers (Jul 13 vs Aug 15). They now seem to be gearing up for a massive second flush.

My green peppers took 57-60 days to be harvestable for comparison.
It was so cold and wet in June that for all intents and purpose we've had 60-65 days of good pepper plant weather. They won't red ripen on the vine unless it is an exceptional year.

Old 09-12-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Wow Memph, that is a lot with a “little suburban garden” - brilliant me did not label all of m y beds so I had a few with total mystery items. I did okay, but mostly with the squash plants that took over everything. Now mostly have some cucumbers, volunteer squash, and a pumpkin still going. I got so many zucchini. Going to do better next year and put in fewer squash. This was my first attempt, so honestly it wasn’t a bad run. I got some beets and radishes as well.
All the slicer tomatoes, eggplants and half the peppers came from a 10x10ft bed.

I also have a 10x20ft area with my Guatemalan green squash (not yet harvested), 1 butternut squash, melons, watermelon, cucumbers, peas (harvested in June-Aug), beans, carrots, lettuce, parsley, beets, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, kale, yacon and ground cherries. However that area is not 60% Guatemalan squash... If you think butternut squash sprawls a lot, you haven't seen anything. My biggest plant has 5 vines that are 20ft each. Lucky to still have cucumbers. I have one plant that might still push out a few tiny fruit but it's really struggling along now. Cucumber beetle diseases and powdery mildew have really taken their toll.

Then I have others scattered about, like the okra and zucchini along my driveway. I think I'll have a bit fewer squash too. The two zucchini I planted about 2 ft from my driveway seem to have loved it there. They soon began sprawling onto the asphalt, maybe they like the heat. They had these massive 2ft wide leaves (on 3ft stems) and produced about 40 fruit between the two of them. They're still at it, although slowing down. My other zucchini plants produced an additional 10 fruit or so.

Old 09-12-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
It was so cold and wet in June that for all intents and purpose we've had 60-65 days of good pepper plant weather. They won't red ripen on the vine unless it is an exceptional year.
Fair enough. Our average lows are 60F+ from about June 15-Sept 12, which is 89 days. And 50F+ from May 20 to Oct 12 which is about 145 days. Days aren't that warm here, usually only about 15F warmer than the nights, but the nights are mild. Have you ever tried overwintering your favorite red peppers?

Old 09-12-2022, 04:39 PM

In the garden? No. Winter would kill it dead. The only thing we overwinter in the garden is the strawberry patch and that does well.

Could try pots and keep them in the house, but we try to avoid that.

Old 09-12-2022, 05:18 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I've heard you can repot your peppers and over winter them in the garage. Never done it, and I'm sure there was a lot more to it though.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden