Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2022, 06:00 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
WIDE spacing between rows, and deep furrows. Pile it up along the side and then you need to hill the plants as the plants grow. I'd say we have easily 3ft between rows, 3 ft between plants in the row.

This was a 4 row year (maybe a little less). We get yields like this-
WOW!!!!!!!!! That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
How long/widely spaced are your potato rows? I've never grown them so just wondering how good the yields are and if they're worth the space they take up.

Strawberry yields aren't worth the space but Potatoes definitely worth it. I guess 1 reason being is because you can store them easily and another reason is that multiple potatoes form off 1.

Here was my little Potato patch from 2016. 22 Potatoes planted.

110 Red ones harvested

https://www.city-data.com/forum/44566269-post199.html

And a bunch of Yellow ones

https://www.city-data.com/forum/44746581-post213.html

In 2014 I had a 10' x 4' area that yielded 188 Potatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 06:50 AM

5,897 posts, read 6,102,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Lovely! Thank you for the information. The recipes in the website sound scrumptious. Now I want to try growing some roselle plants, I need to track down some seeds.

I ordered mine online from sowtrueseeds based out of Asheville, NC. I don't think any of the commercial Canadian retailers have them although you can probably find some on Etsy.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:46 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Thanks Memph.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:33 PM

These pole beans are really reaching for the sky... and making tonnes of pods. They're a bit hard to make out against the foliage of the same colour, but this plant has about 4 dozen pods at various stage of growth, and that's after picking a couple dozen n the past week.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:13 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
47°F here this morning.

That time of the year to start cleaning up

Such a successful season then after 2 heavy rains all tomatoes are cracking. I'm convinced a drought is the best thing for a crop because you control the watering

Finally...Figs!

Still looking pretty healthy but New blooms wont have time to develop anything and anything green is barely ripening. It is hitting 70s here but sun not as strong either. 2.5mths of picking tomatoes. Maybe 3.

Old 09-16-2022, 06:27 PM

I'm not cleaning up yet... I planted some lettuce last week, and spinach and bok choy today. Tomorrow I'll plant the arugula and mizuna seedlings and then no more planting, except maybe sowing mache (corn salad) for next spring.

One of my Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes looks like it's starting to get late blight, but only just starting, it should still be able to ripen several dozen tomatoes before succumbing completely. Aside from that, tomatoes, eggplants and peppers still look as healthy as can be. Bush wax beans are slowing down, but pole green beans still doing good. Okra may be beginning to slow but still producing, the upcoming warmth should help give a couple more pickings.

My Guatemalan Green Ayote squash seems like it's just kicking into gear... it set 1 fruit per plant in August, but it looks like each plant is adding 2-3 more between Sept 10 & 20.

And beets, carrots, parsnip, collards, green onions, cauliflower, broccoli and other cool season crops still going strong.

I tried my hand at figs this year. The seller was slow to deliver them, and they only arrived on the 2nd week of June and took a couple weeks to get over transplant shock. Still, it looks like some of them plants (I have 4) will produce a few fruit this season. Might have to bring them into my neighbour's greenhouse to finish ripening though. Hopefully they do better next year.

Old 09-16-2022, 07:01 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
The drought seems to have been good for tomatoes where I live. I could water them the right amount.

But now with days of rain and more of just plain cool and dull, the tops of the tomatoes are showing some sort of rot or mold. I don't know what it is, never had a problem with something as simple as tomatoes. Every tomato gets the rotten looking top now.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The drought seems to have been good for tomatoes where I live. I could water them the right amount.

But now with days of rain and more of just plain cool and dull, the tops of the tomatoes are showing some sort of rot or mold. I don't know what it is, never had a problem with something as simple as tomatoes. Every tomato gets the rotten looking top now.
Search "late blight tomatoes" on google images. Does it look like that?

Old 09-16-2022, 08:57 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

That does sound like late blight. Post a pic.

I keep some copper fungicide on hand if it happens. You really gotta be quick to halt it.

Old 09-17-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That does sound like late blight. Post a pic.

I keep some copper fungicide on hand if it happens. You really gotta be quick to halt it.
Does it actually stop it, or do you just get new spores landing on the plant and taking hold a few days later, at this stage in the season?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden