Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2022, 11:39 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I stopped doing that, maybe I have better taste buds than others but the tomato doesn't taste right if you pick them green and let them ripen anywhere else but the plant. Don't know why. Just tastes different. Maybe more acidic?

Have you considered just getting a couple of canning jars for the them?
https://nchfp.uga.edu/tips/summer/pr..._tomatoes.html
Tomatoes have been in paper bags and are STILL green. A few are still on the vine and are STILL green. It's been warm during the day but cool nights and I don't know why they won't ripen or even begin to ripen.

Yeh, even if they ever do ripen, I won't like the taste. No green tomatoes for me--no more canning either.

What a waste of time and energy. But at least I got two jars of sauce out of the plants back somewhere in mid August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 12:37 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Tomatoes have been in paper bags and are STILL green. A few are still on the vine and are STILL green. It's been warm during the day but cool nights and I don't know why they won't ripen or even begin to ripen.

Yeh, even if they ever do ripen, I won't like the taste. No green tomatoes for me--no more canning either.

What a waste of time and energy. But at least I got two jars of sauce out of the plants back somewhere in mid August.
We have similar weather and our tomatoes are slowly ripening on the vine. However our tomatoes ripen okay on a sunny window sill.

Old 10-01-2022, 10:12 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

after a record season its officially done...almost.. Just noticed a couple of them ripening on the vine.. The cherry tomatoes are quicker, not the medium sized ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We have similar weather and our tomatoes are slowly ripening on the vine. However our tomatoes ripen okay on a sunny window sill.

Are you having more sunlight than us?? That would definitely be a factor.

I got this going today now. 50s outside

Last edited by Cambium; 10-01-2022 at 10:26 AM..

Old 10-02-2022, 08:34 PM

It’s 50’s outside here. Just got 1†of needed rain. This week is 70’s during the day, mid 40’s at night. We have about 11 hours of sunlight here. The garden is slow but producing.

We have a bank of windows on the SW face of our kitchen that really heats up- so finishing off tomatoes are easy.

We don’t turn the heat on until inside temps get to 65 degrees or so.

We did make some sautéed kale, about a dozen jelly jars of tomato jam and cooking up some tomato basil soup. Maybe 4 quarts of that. Put up some corn pepper soup- about 12 quarts. And froze about 5 lbs of squash. Pretty busy weekend.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:11 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,035,841 times
Here in Charlotte NC tomato season ended early for me probably because it was so freaking hot the tomatoes didn't wanna make fruit. But we just got 3" of rain and 70 degree day temps and I see saladette size are back in production. Made chicken meatballs last night with sauce from garden tomatoes, best sauce ever.

This week I have seeds showing green faces for collards, kale, rape (yeah that's an old timey green leaf), green beans, beets, spinach for winter. Spouse not in love with lotta greens for dinner so I hide it in juice or breads because it's so healthy. I have a new rabbit-proof plan for protecting the greens haha.

Winter project is making a self-watering planter box so we can go on short out-of-town trips next summer and I don't go crazy with heat. Basically reworking a large planter I already constructed to add large plastic hose pipes in bottom and covering those with vermiculite and peat then planting mix on top.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:23 PM

50s here for 3 days. November weather. Goodbye Tomatoes. 1.5 months of harvesting but it was a big year for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Winter project is making a self-watering planter box so we can go on short out-of-town trips next summer and I don't go crazy with heat. Basically reworking a large planter I already constructed to add large plastic hose pipes in bottom and covering those with vermiculite and peat then planting mix on top.
Always in favor of projects but why not spend just $50 and get a hose timer. It'll go on when you set it for and how long. I have the 3 outlet one where I can set 3 different sprinklers at different times.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:12 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,035,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Always in favor of projects but why not spend just $50 and get a hose timer. It'll go on when you set it for and how long. I have the 3 outlet one where I can set 3 different sprinklers at different times.
Years back got over $1000 water bill because hose leaking we didn't notice. Negotiated bill down but ever since DO NOT go out of town with water left on outside/inside house.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Years back got over $1000 water bill because hose leaking we didn't notice. Negotiated bill down but ever since DO NOT go out of town with water left on outside/inside house.

Old 10-04-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
No water would be running through the hose until the timer turns on. The device mounts to the spigot. You really should look into it, it would save you money.

You shut the whole house off when you go away? I can understand that but how much of this self watering thing will be sustainable after a few hot days? You'll need a storage tank and a pump?

Old 10-04-2022, 09:57 PM

30 lbs of Early Girls condensed down to tomato jam and tomato basil cream soup.

Will be pulling off the rest this weekend. Hard freeze coming next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden