U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2022, 06:29 AM

80,565 posts, read 68,653,038 times

Advertisements

My mom lives 20 minutes south of me outside NYC. Her fig yields are crazy this year. During a drought summer. Odd. She barely watered the tree.

She gave so many away and made fig honey out of them but said its a lot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
30 lbs of Early Girls condensed down to tomato jam and tomato basil cream soup.

Will be pulling off the rest this weekend. Hard freeze coming next week.

I haven't done it yet but I stretched it as long as I could. We've had November like temps here past 5 days. Now nothing is ripening for sure. So out they come. Maybe today or this weekend.

Here's my stats for this month so far

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 09:24 AM

3,948 posts, read 2,973,256 times
I dislike figs, but those look gooood. I've never eaten a fresh fig. Maybe those would change my mind.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:01 PM

3,924 posts, read 4,755,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
My mom lives 20 minutes south of me outside NYC. Her fig yields are crazy this year. During a drought summer. Odd. She barely watered the tree.

She gave so many away and made fig honey out of them but said its a lot of work.

I haven't done it yet but I stretched it as long as I could. We've had November like temps here past 5 days. Now nothing is ripening for sure. So out they come. Maybe today or this weekend.

Here's my stats for this month so far

All that from one tree? Is it containerized? I think it's hard to get them to overwinter in-ground (unless you insulated it tremendously).

My tomatoes are still ripening, albeit rather slowly. Peppers too. Eggplants don't seem to be doing anything though. Definitely starting to head into cool weather crop season - scallions, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, gai lohn, arugula, tatsoi...

Old 10-05-2022, 12:33 PM

2,167 posts, read 1,217,668 times
Quote:
No water would be running through the hose until the timer turns on. The device mounts to the spigot. You really should look into it, it would save you money.

You shut the whole house off when you go away? I can understand that but how much of this self watering thing will be sustainable after a few hot days? You'll need a storage tank and a pump?
You have a lot more faith in electronics than I do and our life is filled with digital electronics.

About 4 years ago I had our home thermostat replaced with the kind that can be remotely controlled, thought that would be smart for when we go out of town on longer trip and the weather changes.

That almost turned into a 10k horror show because the installer, from the best company in town, set it so very wrong that both the heat AND the A/C were coming on simultaneously. Spouse and I kept listening to the system (we hadn't left town) and knew something was wrong but couldn't figure it out until we got an electric bill that was double what it should be. The HVAC was killing itself trying to do what it was wrongly programmed for. No apology from company when I told them what they did wrong, we hired a different company to fix problem.

The self-watering planter is low low tech, nothing electronic haha, nothing attached to hose, fill it and it's set for many weeks.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
All that from one tree? Is it containerized? I think it's hard to get them to overwinter in-ground (unless you insulated it tremendously). ...

1.5 trees. One mature one and one smaller one. In ground, not in pot and she never covers or buries it over winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I dislike figs, but those look gooood. I've never eaten a fresh fig. Maybe those would change my mind.

Yup, I recommend that to everyone. Once you try a fresh fig right from the tree it will make you make your taste buds come alive.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:51 PM

26,069 posts, read 26,166,814 times
Quote:
1.5 trees. One mature one and one smaller one. In ground, not in pot and she never covers or buries it over winter.

Yup, I recommend that to everyone. Once you try a fresh fig right from the tree it will make you make your taste buds come alive.
Those fig pictures are...magnificent! How unusual, figs. They love the drought? I'll have to google where figs really come from, never thought about it. I have a relative here in central CT who has a small fig tree that she overwinters in the basement but there must be a big climate difference between here and down there. I think she even gets a fig or two now and then but nothing like that!

Old 10-08-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Wow, are they one of those varieties that dies back in the winter and regrows from the roots fast enough to produce a yield during a single growing season? My understanding is that the coldest figs can tolerate (for the stems/trunks) is about -20C to -15C for the hardier varieties, so it usually gets a bit colder than that here.

I bought some fig seedlings this year which were delivered mid-June. Only got a few little figlets from them but I'm hoping next year will be better now that they'll be more established and now that they'll be able to start growing in early May vs taking until early July to get over transplant shock. The varieties I have (1 each) are Chicago Hardy, Neveralla, Olympia and Violette de Bordeaux. They're in 4-5 gallon containers.

Old 10-09-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Those fig pictures are...magnificent! How unusual, figs. They love the drought? I'll have to google where figs really come from, never thought about it. I have a relative here in central CT who has a small fig tree that she overwinters in the basement but there must be a big climate difference between here and down there. I think she even gets a fig or two now and then but nothing like that!

They don't love drought, they like to be watered which is odd. Sometimes there's too many unknowns out there. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Wow, are they one of those varieties that dies back in the winter and regrows from the roots fast enough to produce a yield during a single growing season? My understanding is that the coldest figs can tolerate (for the stems/trunks) is about -20C to -15C for the hardier varieties, so it usually gets a bit colder than that here.

We barely go below 0F (-18C) but for sure not the southern variety cause it can get below 10F (-12C) here and snowy. My Grandfather used to bury all his figs in the 1960s and 70s because winters were just brutal and he wanted to make sure they were protected. Now nobody burys it. Some will cover it though and protect it from the North winter winds.

I been through Polar Vortex years and record snows in March and the Fig Tree survived without being covered. Late to wake up though

Old 10-09-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
They don't love drought, they like to be watered which is odd. Sometimes there's too many unknowns out there. lol

We barely go below 0F (-18C) but for sure not the southern variety cause it can get below 10F (-12C) here and snowy. My Grandfather used to bury all his figs in the 1960s and 70s because winters were just brutal and he wanted to make sure they were protected. Now nobody burys it. Some will cover it though and protect it from the North winter winds.

I been through Polar Vortex years and record snows in March and the Fig Tree survived without being covered. Late to wake up though
This guy is in your area I think and he insulates his figs in straw. I've seen a lot of people do similar things in the NE and Ohio Valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO0S...anagiotopoulos

But people in Ontario are able to keep them in unheated garages and they seem to survive the winter, even though I'd expect temperatures to fall to -15C easily, maybe even -20C or -25C briefly depending on where they live, how bad the winter was, how well insulated/sheltered their garage is, etc.

When do your figs usually start to wake up?

Old 10-09-2022, 02:39 PM

1,095 posts, read 808,917 times
I had these a few days ago... delicious

Rabitos Royale chocolate covered fig with brandy chocolate cream filling

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden